Simaudio Nova vs. Krell SACD Standard for CD playback

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by thom, Feb 29, 2004.

1. thom

thom

I am hoping to have a chance to audition and compare the Simaudio Nova vs. Krell SACD on an upcoming business trip, but that won't be for another month. I have auditioned the Nova on a number of occasions in combination with the Simaudio W-5, P-5 and JMlab Electra 936's and the Utopia ALto's and really like the combination.

Yet, I have read a lot of favorable reviews on the Krell SACD. Given that I have very few SACD discs compared to hundreds of CD's, I don't want to compromise on the Redbook CD playback, just to gain SACD playback. On the other hand, I am reluctant to spend all of this money without possibly having SACD playback. Has anyone compared the Simaudio Nova directly with the Krell SACD in terms of CD playback ?? How does CD playback on the Nova compare with SACD playback of the same disc on the Krell ?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2004
    thom, Feb 29, 2004
  2. thom

midlifecrisis Firm member

Haven't compared the Simaudio but can just say that I've had a Krell SACD Standard for all of two days and am distinctly pleased with it. The CD playback is excellent (but tells it straight, not euphonic - a crap recording will sound it), and the SACD playback is something beyond that.

midlifecrisis, Feb 29, 2004
  3. thom

Lawrie

Keepin' it real, right here in Lawrieville.
    Hi Thom,

Just like Midlife, I haven't heard any Sim stuff but I have heard the Krell SACD Standard and like it a lot both on CD and on SACD modes. I had the Krell at home for one week but decided to put any purchase on the back-burner as my wife was eight-months pregnant at the time and a new baby-room was more important than new audio gear or else ………………:D

Anyway, the Krell would be invited back at some point. On CD, it simply delivers what is on the disc and is very 3-dimensional whereas the SACD mode just gives more of what the CD section offers albeit, a broader, deeper but smoother sounding picture of the CD perfomance. IMO, the SACD performance on this player is exemplary especially when compared to many of the multi-format machines out there. However, it would be interesting to hear how it compares to the new and very interesting Bel Canto Player PL-1A costing around USD 5,200 (it is the cheaper version of the Player which itself costs around USD 8,500) which I heard very briefly whilst in the U.S. last week. The PL-1A is a multi-format machine with DVD-V and DVD-A functionality and sounded good on red-book CDs but it costs USD 1,500 more than the Krell which contains no video content. My advice: audition the Krell with confidence.;)

Midlife - you have yourself a fine-sounding player sir. Congratulations and ..................

Enjoy the music,

Lawrie.:D

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2004
    Lawrie, Mar 1, 2004
Ask a Question