Simple Mains Project

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Carpchaser, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Carpchaser

Carpchaser

With good results achived from the Chris V i/c i am planning the next project.

Am i correct in thinking that the longer the mains cable (within reason) will have a more beneficial effect.

My CD and AMP are fed from MK Double Switchless Socket via Eupen mains leads.

On fitting the switchless socket i leant that the house mains cable (supplying the socket) is quite naff.

I am considering replacing this cable (ring) with some shielded cable in the form of the TNT twisted Snake.

10m of Control CY cable from RS - 46 squid, will give me 16m of fisished cable.

My theory is that since my Eupens made a difference, would additional RFI reducing cable (of a different design) remove more nasties form my mains.

Your thoughts please.

Iain.

Carpchaser, Feb 17, 2004
  2. Carpchaser

Mr.C

With respect to the length of mains cable - no, not likely. Sounds like marketing speak, and I think I remember it from some of the Russ Andrews blurb, so best to ignore. Replacing the house mains cable with something a) shielded b) copper and c) with good current handling with reap large rewards IMO. There are always more 'nasties' to be removed, no matter how much you think you've removed - only question is how far you intend to take it, entirely up to your wallet and your ears.

Mr.C, Feb 18, 2004
Ask a Question