Slimserver problems

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Robbo, May 1, 2005.

1. Robbo

Robbo

In preparation for the purchase of a squeezebox, I have been ripping some CDs to my hard drive using EAC and playing around with FLAC compression and the slimserver software.

I am having problems with getting the slimserver software to recognise albums. Sometimes it recognises the album and sometimes it just puts in in the no album category. I have configured EAC to create a folder for each CD (Artist - CD title) then the tracks are placed in the folder as track number - title.

Anyone have any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Cheers, Robbo

Robbo, May 1, 2005
  2. Robbo

julian2002 Muper Soderator

not sure.
    i use the following directory stucture for my library.
    Artist\Album\track
    with the track being:
    track number - artist - track name.flac

also make sure that the tagging is set up correctly in eac as slim server searches using this info rather than the filename (although i think it can take a guess from the filename if it's set up as above).

might be worthwhile posting on the slim devices forum / mailing list as well.
    cheers

julian.

julian2002, May 1, 2005
  3. Robbo

Stuart

Robbo,

In EAC, goto EAC menu / Compression Option (F11) and check the additional command line options under the External Compression tab. If I understand my setup (still a big IF 500 discs down the track), the file naming is defined here (rather than using ID3 tagging). Mine is set as follows: -8 -T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" %s and works well for me.

Hope this is of some use. If not, Patrick Dixon over on PFM has delved into the murky depths of SlimServer and may be able to assist.

Regards,

Stuart.

Stuart, May 2, 2005
  4. Robbo

merlin

Yeah you need iTunes and a Mac.

merlin, May 2, 2005
  5. Robbo

Robbo

Arf!

I have done some thinking about the best way to proceed and for us it is to covert my existing PC to a server, set up a wireless network and buy a laptop with wireless netwoking. I can the use the laptop anywhere (including the garden). If I went for a mac mini as the music server, I am tied down to using the computer in the lounge only.

I have managed to sort out the problems with the slimserver file recognition, I had the tags set up incorrectly. All working fine now.

cheers guys.

Robbo, May 2, 2005
Ask a Question