small portable radio, need help!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by penance, Dec 10, 2004.

1. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

I want to get Kay a radio for xmas. I would like something with good FM reception, preferably while using its own arial.
    DAB is an option, though i know nothing about DAB.
    I have looked at the Pure Evoke, i would like something along the style of that, fairly small and not beatbox styled.
    CD would be an advantage, but not essential.
    Price around £100 ish.

penance, Dec 10, 2004
  2. penance

Sir Galahad Harmonia Mundi

You can look at the Tivoli (US made) products. They have a model, known as PAL or iPAL, that comes in all kinds of funny colors, and that's waterproof to boot. Own aerial. Not really cheap though (at least 180 euros here).

Cheers

http://www.tivoliaudio.com/home.php

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2004
    Sir Galahad, Dec 10, 2004
  3. penance

Saab

I have both the Evoke and a Roberts,and the Roberts is just the ticket for Radio 4,the Evoke wins it for multi-channel.Boils down to taste i think.The Roberts looks good in the kitchen though

Saab, Dec 10, 2004
  4. penance

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Tivoli is THE obvious suggestion. Either the battery powered, portable PAL for ~£130, or if you just mean small then the Model One is mains powered and costs ~£100. I've got a Model One, and it's the only radio of it's size that doesn't sound like an alarm clock radio (i.e. pants). It is though only FM/AM, and mono (which matters not one jot as far as I'm concerned; who gives a monkeys about stereo image on a portable radio?).

Plus of course most people like their styling - bonus points as a Chrimbo present there.

MartinC, Dec 10, 2004
Ask a Question