Smoking

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PBirkett, Oct 16, 2003.

1. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Every time I go out on the piss, I smoke ciggies. I used to smoke years ago, but packed in, but for some reason, I can not help myself when I go out. I wish I wouldnt do this, because it makes me feel like crap in the morning. Anyone got any tips for not smoking when I'm drunk :D

PBirkett, Oct 16, 2003
  2. PBirkett

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

dont get drunk:D also ive found if i have a couple of spliffs a day i dont smoke normall fags,cut out the spliff, 20 a day easily

themadhippy, Oct 16, 2003
  3. PBirkett

cookiemonster

Smoke all the time, then you won't feel like crap, like you do now. Instead you'll probably just die younger, but hey......if you're gonna do something, do it properly. :MILD:

Loads of my friends are 'social' smokers. They happily plough through 20 fags on a night out, but then if i light one up the following morning it turns their stomach.....?!

The best one of the day is arguably in the morning anyway. Though post meals is a winner, and booze invariably does catalyse ones intake.

Ahhh.......the pernicious weed.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2003
    cookiemonster, Oct 16, 2003
  4. PBirkett

cookiemonster

.........or just stop

5. PBirkett

mr cat Member of the month

I've read (can't remember where!) that when you drink, it hits a receptor that makes you want to smoke (only if you've smoked in the past), so, it'snigh on impossible (in my experience) to not have a tab whilst drinking...tho, I prefer to smoke a spliff.

mr cat, Oct 16, 2003
  6. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Yeah that definetly seems to ring true, its like I just cant control myself at all when I'm out drinking. Its all a question of will power. And although I would like to, and it would also make my night a lot cheaper, I dont really thinking smoking spliffs in the bar is too practical (tried it once, got thrown out by the bouncer...)

PBirkett, Oct 16, 2003
  7. PBirkett

yeah, not good to smoke a spliff in a bar! have done in the past tho, but prefer inbetween bars, tho my girlfriend doesn't always approve!!

mr cat, Oct 16, 2003
  8. PBirkett

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i gave up smoking and drinking at the same time (what do i do?) so i can't help with that side of it. however if you aren't falling back into 20 a day after a night out then is there actually a problem?
    but in the best tradition of hi-fi fora i shall attempt to give you some advice based on no experience whatsoever :D
    maybe changing what you drink would help? if you are primarily a beer drinker perhaps switching to shorts or meths would help you disasociate beer + fags = a good night out.
    alternatively embrace the drugs counter culture and neck e's and water all night while dancing like a loon and telling everyone you meet you love them.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Oct 16, 2003
  9. PBirkett

not sure if that would help...I just think it's the fact that you're p*ssed, no matter what you drink...tho, not sure about drinbking meths tho!!

mr cat, Oct 16, 2003
  10. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Yeah it is, I dont particularly stick to one type of drink. Some nights its lager, some vodka, others alcopops, the outcome is always the same...

PBirkett, Oct 16, 2003
  11. PBirkett

cookiemonster

...an ugly bird :D

12. PBirkett

michaelab desafinado

LMAO! :ffrc:

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 16, 2003
  13. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Beats a wank I suppose

PBirkett, Oct 16, 2003
  14. PBirkett

you know what they say - fat birds are like mopeds - good for a ride until your mates find out!
    could apply to ugly birds too..?

mr cat, Oct 16, 2003
  15. PBirkett

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Move over to rollups dude - I'm a social smoker and have been known to tank 40+ tailor mades in a club in a night (with a minimum of about 15 spliffs - I usually take in about 12 ready-rolleds in a fag packet) - but if you take in rolling baccy and skins you'll be down to about 5 a night pretty quickly 'cos it takes time and effort to create when you're drunk - a lot less hassle to whip a tailor made out and spark it, so move to rollies :)

They're "better" for you than tailors as well, though of course, that's still a lot worse than not smoking :MILD:

domfjbrown, Oct 16, 2003
  16. PBirkett

MO! MOnkey`ead!

LMAO!!!

The replies were rolling around my head!

MO!, Oct 16, 2003
  17. PBirkett

My name is Ron It is, it really is

Hmmmmm. Smoking. This is a subject that shifts me into top gear, as you can see:

I do a lot of research and writing on health issues, and the simple conclusion that can be gleaned from much of this is that smoking is the single worst thing you can do for your health (with poor diet, lack of exercise and alcohol abuse coming up close behind). Think about it; you're inhaling smoke that contains a slew of toxic chemicals. Here's a brief resumé of the physical effects: it depletes oxygen, narrows the blood vessels, weakens the immune system, stimulates acid production in the stomach and generally impairs the function of every organ in the body. It is also a major cause of heart disease, stroke and many forms of cancer.

Ah, say smokers, but it makes me feel good and helps me relax. Well, yes, of course it does. Because you're addicted. Nicotine is fiercely habit forming –_as potent as crack cocaine, in fact. You smoke in order to feel normal, to satisfy the endless craving of the brain and body for the drug. (Besides which, there is nothing relaxing, physically speaking, about severe constriction of the arteries, which sends the blood pressure soaring, itself a key indicator of the phenomenon known as stress.)

Being a casual smoker explains why you feel so rotten the next morning. Your body simply isn't up to speed, and is working overtime in an attempt to flush out the toxins you've put there. But the thing about casual smoking, even more so than a 40-a-day habit, is that people do it because they feel they need a social prop. Along with alcohol, it loosens them up, breaks down inhibitions, helps them feel in a vague sort of way that they can be the witty, sagacious company they've always known themselves to be. Smoking is glamorous. Seductive, even. I know that. But, remember, it is all a lie. And it gets it hooks into you so badly that you start lying to yourself.

The question is, why do people need this prop? To fit in, to conform with their mates, to sacrifice their individuality in favour of the group? In other words, I suspect it's a self-esteem issue for most people. I think this is true for you Paul. Why else would you feel so bad about feeling so bad? You seem to have made the decision not to smoke – for whatever reason – and yet still can't help it once the juice starts flowing. You need to ask yourself some tough questions (and you really can't exclude drink from the equation). You're halfway there, though, as airing such a problem on a public forum means you're sufficiently concerned and genuinely prepared to do something about it. You're smart; you'll work it out.

Okay, I'm wagging my finger and indulging in a fair bit of cod psychology, but in the end people are responsible for their own choices, and if they decide to smoke that's absolutely fine. I just think it's a terrible waste. Of money, time, effort, lung power, etc, etc. I've also seen first-hand the affect it can have on families: my dad started smoking as a boy during the Blitz, and pursued a 20-a-day habit until it caught up with him in his early 40s. He's been an invalid ever since and says the thing that hurt him most was not being able to kick a ball around with his sons as we grew up. Sounds sappy, but those with children will know how real that is; those who don't will do, one day.

Okay, I'll stop being so earnest now. Normal service is resumed. Anyone got a fag? Cheers…_ :MILD:

My name is Ron, Oct 16, 2003
  18. PBirkett

cookiemonster

I'd only concur with the first point - hence why i generally smoke rollies these days due to the hiked prices of snouts in this country in the last 10yrs (based on the pretext of health concerns from our benevolent government - very conveinient). The rest are as anathema to me as taking vitamins and drinking diet coke.

Worrying about your health is the single worst thing you can do for your health.

Sorry to be flippant, your post was excellent and deserved a better response, i was just rushing at the minute........

:)

19. PBirkett

cookiemonster

I respect that point entirely, and within the context of which you mention it, it is certainly the most relevant issue here. But i think one should also attempt to understand that experience need not necessarily be enacted, so to speak, for it to remain valid and pertinent.

:)

20. PBirkett

lordsummit moderate mod

It's a bastard Paul, I gave up two years ago now, and I still want a fag when I'm drinking more than any other time. You just have to break the habit. Try the gum, it gives you a bit of a rush if you chew it hard, and at least it is better than a ciggy. That was the only way I managed it. Trouble is I've put on shit loads of weight,a nd that is a bastard to get off. It's hard but you just have to stick at it. You've done the worst bit:)

lordsummit, Oct 16, 2003
Ask a Question