So the mains then

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Joolsburger, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Joolsburger

Joolsburger

Intrested by the thoughts people have re Biwiring, I thought I'd ask the same question re the mains, seems to me the wire in the wall is shite so how can the last two or three feet make a blind bit of difference?

I reckon it's cobblers and so does the electrician I use I have a seperate spur cos it was tidy to wire straight from the fuse box to the hifi under the floor but frankly it sounds no different to the cheap maplins 6 way I used before.

Joolsburger, Sep 18, 2003
  2. Joolsburger

penance Arrogant Cock

the mains cable (eupen, lat shunyata etc..) helps to disipate the RFI from the supply, so it CAN help in the same way as a filter/conditioner can
    I trained as an electrician when i was younger and it makes sense to me, tell yer sparky to open his eyes;)
    Also within a lot of industry applications shielded cable is essential for the likes of control panels. These cables are normally a multicore with copper braid shield, the Eupen cables were actual designed for industry use where RFI cancelation is required.
    So yes there is something in it:)

penance, Sep 18, 2003
  3. Joolsburger

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

:WMarrives

I-S, Sep 18, 2003
  4. Joolsburger

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

must of done a diffrent course to me then:D
    personally as long as it can handle the current and voltage that i require it will do for me,its the power supplys job to get rid of any rf nastys ,the shielding is olny there to stop any sensitive equipment being affected by the magnetic field being radiated from the cable

themadhippy, Sep 18, 2003
  5. Joolsburger

Joolsburger

So your saying that the three feet or so of cable between wall and kit picks up RFI and hence causes problems, what about the kit itself. Is RFI radio frequency and if so wouldn't the kit pick it up just as much as the mains lead?

The filters and what not you mentioned, how do they help and if you have a filter do you also need a tricky mains lead and finally doesn't a ferrite ring at a quid do as much to bin RFI as a 1k mains lead??

I'm a sceptic and I reckon that this seems like another load of nuts just like, Bi wiring, 3k a meter speaker cable and loads of other crapola I see all the time.

6. Joolsburger

michaelab desafinado

Guys - didn't we just do this over here??

Michael.

michaelab, Sep 18, 2003
  7. Joolsburger

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

You tell em' Jools, **** em all, buy more music and to hell with consequenices, it's all bollox, more bollox and total bollox, **** the lot of, and then with the rough end of a revolving pineapple at 300 rpm, then **** em again for good measure, whilst reigning fire and brimstone on all those fools physcotic enough to believe the shit, then when it's finished touch the hifi shops, and lead a revolt again the commerical money grabbing bastards that inhabit the world of music, dis the record companied, screw the exec's, and firebomb the managers, you know it'll make you feel better.
    Does the above sound familar? hey it's only rock 'n' roll

Oh and just for those that have 'escaped the net', ECT, the only solution for idiots who believe. Humans, then die in ignorance.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2003
    wadia-miester, Sep 18, 2003
  8. Joolsburger

cookiemonster

:D :eek:

The Inquisition had no imagination in retrospect.

cookiemonster, Sep 18, 2003
  9. Joolsburger

Joolsburger

Well christ on a bike what a tirade. I am asking the question not accusing people of anything, although I must say that the vehemence with which you defend your beliefs would put the most fundemental christian to shame!!

I reckon that anyone who has invested large sums in unproven technologies needs to be applauded for their courage.. early adopters eh don't ya just love em...

10. Joolsburger

michaelab desafinado

JB - you did say "I reckon it's cobblers" and "how can the last 3ft make a blind bit of difference", talking about something that a number of us have spent a fair amount of money on (some MUCH more than others ;) ) and because we did so only after hearing positive results.

Granted, not really that inflammatory what you said but we've all had our patience tested in the other thread about power cords that's still trickling along, which is why you could expect some, shall we say, unhinged, reactions :)

Michael.

michaelab, Sep 18, 2003
  11. Joolsburger

cookiemonster

Jools - i can't see a question in any of your above remarks?

And i believe that you are being cynical and not sceptical here.

cookiemonster, Sep 18, 2003
  12. Joolsburger

julian2002 Muper Soderator

tone, i see you've not had the pills today but have been drinking petrol and huffing nitrous again. timpy time for the electric cattle prod to bring the beast to order.....

jools,
    mains cable may/ may not* improve/degrade* the sound of your kit.

*delete as applicable.

the only sure way to find out is to try it for yourself. but then that's not half as much fun as endlessly arguing about it from a position of ignorance on an internet forum. especially when there is another thread still active about exactly the same thing.

cheers

julian

julian2002, Sep 18, 2003
  13. Joolsburger

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

You know, that smiley is very aptly named...

I-S, Sep 18, 2003
  14. Joolsburger

Joolsburger

Fundemtalists the lot of you:p :p :p

I feel like i'm in Alabama, "we like our mains conditioned around here boy"

15. Joolsburger

penance Arrogant Cock

I feel like im on a forum where ignorant people who slag off things they havent tried keep crawling from under the dirty rug in the corner:rolleyes:

penance, Sep 18, 2003
  16. Joolsburger

JU, Been of the Avgas today, and it's blue too :D
    Jools I wasn't directly firing at you, this week we've had some 'intertring moments' so I'm sorry for seeming to target all fornt weapons batteries on you, just getting a bit tiresome of nose grinders. some do work like you wont believe others are merely average. WM

17. Joolsburger

Paul Ranson

I've tried mains cord changes way back in the 80s. I haven't tried the current favourites. Unless I've tried the exact cord in the exact system that a fan has tried then I'm obviously not in a position to have an opinion.

Which makes arguments on anything interesting.

What is beyond doubt is that there is a load of bollocks talked about cables of all sorts and why they might work. Not least in the promotional material of the 'manufacturers'.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Sep 18, 2003
  18. Joolsburger

Graham C

Uh oh..not more cables. One day I'll get to hear these wonders [hopefully at Rory's bash in October]

Way to go WM!!. Absolutely 100% agreement from me.

I just thought it was so good it deserved posting AGAIN

Have a good night all,

Graham C

Graham C, Sep 18, 2003
  19. Joolsburger

NOS-4-A2 Creature of the night

I'm in the process of building a mains lead comparator so that I can do A-B testing from the comfort of the armchair without having to switch off, unplug, replug, wait for the system to settle etc.

I'll post the diagram and RS parts list (and maybe a pic) when I have time to finish it (still only halfway there with the standard A-B comparator and not even started my speaker cable one!)

NOS-4-A2, Sep 18, 2003
  20. Joolsburger

Now Tom you be careful else cj will be along to pur scorn on your own personal tests, and quote the master ADB, 'Who has forgot more than you'll ever know' meaning moi' to back up his A/B are total load of geratric shoe makers routine.
    Are you going to use the same input supply, how are you going to switch them,as switches tend to degrade the sound anyway?
    We used (back in the old days) to use a known Power conditioner, a set input lead, and had the 2 outputs with different P/cables on, and swop them between a known amp, that was being power by a sepearte spur and stock lead. should prove enlightening though. Just a though try a Python or king cobra on the Ps Audio, the result is quite scary :eek: WM

Ask a Question