Song identifying help please!

Discussion in 'General Music' started by nsherin, Jan 29, 2004.

1. nsherin

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

I wonder if anyone can help me identify a song. The song has vocals very similar to those at the start of 'Songs of Tears' by Adiemus, but has a similar tune/rhythm to 'Book of Days' by Enya. It's been in my head for a few days now and I can't figure out who it's by.

Thanks!

nsherin, Jan 29, 2004
  2. nsherin

HenryT

Ahh, this is probably going to bug me if we don't get an answer to this one! :D

Seeing as I have all the Adiemus and Enya albums... :)

Give us some more clues... Was there something that made you think of this particular piece of music in particular...? Was it on the radio or TV..? Did you hear it recently or a while ago..?

ATM, I reckon it has got to be a track from on one of the other Adiemus albums, or maybe another Karl Jenkins album which has a similar sound i.e. Imagined Oceans.

BTW, Adiemus isn't the name of the artist, it's just the name of the album or series of albums that the composer Karl Jenkins erm composed! The track "Song Of Tears" is from the second Adiemus album subtitled "Cantata Mundi" - got it playing right now as a matter of fact. :MILD: Hunting for these albums in record shops can be fun sometimes though, as some shops stick these albums under J for the composer's name (Jenkins), and others stick it under A for Adiemus (incorrect IMO); also some shops file in the classical section whereas others file it under "New Age". :rolleyes: :)

HenryT, Jan 29, 2004
  3. nsherin

I think it might have been a theme song to something that I heard on the radio or TV and was pretty popular, I think.

I went through my Enya albums (I've got them all) plus the Clannad CD I've got last naight, but it wasn't on any of them.

Tried a couple of Adiemus / Karl Jenkins CDs in HMV at lunchtime, but no joy - the second album you mentioned, plus a greatest hits one.

nsherin, Jan 29, 2004
  4. nsherin

HenryT

Hi,

What was the Karl Jenkins greatest hits album called? I'm wondering if it was the one only with selective stuff from the Adiemus albums, and not his other albums with a similar sound like Imagined Oceans.

I can only think of 3 Karl Jenkins tracks which have been used in TV/radio situations, all in TV adverts:

"Song Of Tears" from Adiemus II - Cheltenham & Gloucester Building Society

"Adiemus" the title track from Adiemus I - Delta Airlines (IIRC)

"Palladio" the title track from "Palladio" also re-released as "Diamond Music" - DeBeers Diamonds

Although, Palladio sounds nothing like any of the Adiemus stuff as there are no vocals and the music is only played by a small string orchestra.

Erm, there's an Enya track on the first "Lord Of The Rings" soundtrack. I've got the album but have never seen the film. ;)

And the main vocalist behind the Adiemus stuff, Miriam Stockley, had a solo album out called "Miriam". Some similiarities because of her voice obviously, but doubt if any of the music on this album has been used on flim/TV/radio. I can recommend this album if you enjoyed the Adiemus albums, and she also sings in English too rather than in the made up phonetic sound language that was devised by Jenkins for use in Adiemus (quite clever IMO as almost everyone seems to reckon that the vocalists in Adiemus sing in Latin but it ain't it's just totally made up to sound like a language :D ).

Any more help there? :)

HenryT, Jan 30, 2004
  5. nsherin

Thanks Henry,

I think the album was: Journey: Best Of Adiemus

Will look into the Delta Airlines Ad - it might be the same track.

However, it might not even have been Karl Jenkins or Enya - could even be someone else, but similar sounding.

Thanks,
    Neil

nsherin, Jan 30, 2004
  6. nsherin

HenryT

I don't have that particular album (as I already have all the original Adiemus albums), but have just looked up the track listing on Amazon and the Delta Airlines music is the very first track.

Ah OK, I've another idea... :) Ever heard of a group called "Secret Garden"? They have a very strong celtic sound with more than a passing influence or two from Clannad I feel. I have two of their albums, "Once In A Red Moon" and "Dreamcatcher". I've just put on Dreamcatcher to refresh my memory, and I think the first track on that album has been used on TV/radio somewhere, but I can't place it either! :D

HenryT, Jan 30, 2004
  7. nsherin

Thanks Henry,

Aha - it may well be Secret Garden - I have heard of them. Will investigate that further - I'll wonder up to HMV after work.

nsherin, Jan 30, 2004
  8. nsherin

Found it - and it was a fair bit different to what I remember, with some modern synths/drumming in it and some solo vocal sections. The track is 'Take Me With You' by Ronan Hardiman from the Solas album. I knew I had that CD or MP3 somewhere - turns out it was on CD! I think it was part of the choruses or something that was going through my mind!

nsherin, Jan 30, 2004
  9. nsherin

HenryT

Hi Neil,

Glad you found out what it was at last! :)

When I read from your post that it was Ronan Hardiman, I knew I'd heard the name before but couldn't quite place him. So I had a look under H in my collection and there it was, the "Lord Of The Dance" soundtrack! :lol: So that's where I'd heard his name before. Well, I can see the celtic connection there. Not heard any of his other work though, worth checking out?

HenryT, Jan 31, 2004
  10. nsherin

Haven't heard anything else by him apart from the Solas album, which my grandad recommended to me a few years back. Definately one worth buying!

nsherin, Jan 31, 2004
Ask a Question