Sonus Faber Concertino - wall mounting?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by steveh, Jul 5, 2006.

1. steveh

steveh

Hi all - hoping for some expert advice.

We're in the process of redecorating the sitting room in our new house and I've had to succumb to pressure from the wife to downsize my speakers. I've got a nice pair of Sonus Faber Concertinos waiting to be unpacked at home which are slated to replace my current Concerto Grand Pianos. Having bought the speakers I now need to think about where to put them - the downside is that in the interests of domestic harmony they're probably going to have to live either on a shelf or on wall mounts, the upside is that within reason we can plan the room around the stereo.

My current thoughts involved avoiding shelf mounting for all the usual reasons, and putting them onto hinged wall mounted brackets with the tweeters at ear level, so they can be folded back to flush with the wall for background listening or when they're not in use, and then folded out to get the speakers away from the wall and with proper toe-in when I want to listen. Most likely position is mounted either side of a fireplace, firing across the short dimension of our dining room (about 11 feet) with my listening chair against the opposite wall. I know they'd sound a lot better with the speakers on their stands three feet out into the room, but that ain't going to happen so some realism is called for (sadly) :( .

Does this kind of wall bracket exist? Who are the manufacturers to look for if I want to get something as solid as possible? Does anyone know who might be able to custom make some? Is the whole idea an absurd non-starter?! All advice/info appreciated.

BTW if anyone fancies buying the Grand Pianos (or my Mk II DAC 64 - I'm doing some general system reconfiguring to reduce the box count) I'm open to sensible offers - PM me.

Cheers, Steve

steveh, Jul 5, 2006
  2. steveh

unclepuncle

Hi Steve

I looked into wall brackets for my Revels and thought the top of the range 'S series' Target wallmounts looked pretty good:
    http://www.targethifi.co.uk/4598/4682.html

Not hinged though - I reckon you'll be looking at custom made ones for that.

Target do make another range with a swivel base which is on the same link.

unclepuncle, Jul 5, 2006
  3. steveh

Anex Thermionic

Dunno if those swing tv brackets would work? Personally I don't think the concertinos work near the wall tho, I always give them plenty of distance.
    They do a similar speaker designed for wall mounting tho, any chance you could change the speakers for those? Haven't heard them but I hear they're meant to be pretty good.

Anex, Jul 5, 2006
  4. steveh

steveh

Thanks guys - rather pleasingly after a drag-out fight with the missus last night when I accused her of trying to remove all traces of my presence from the sitting room :)rolleyes: ) the Grand Pianos have a reprieve, so the Concertinos will be moving up to the spare bedroom/study, where they may be able to stay on their stands, but if not I'll look into those wall brackets or just stick 'em on a shelf - probably not worth having something custom made for second system duties.

They're interesting little speakers on a first listen - placed in the same place as the Grand Pianos (bad - on either side of a bay window with a big sofa in the middle) they clearly have a wider soundstage and image better, but they sounded quite crude and shouty, particularly in the treble, when I first plugged them in. They seemed to be warming up and smoothing out over the course of the evening though, so maybe they were just cold from the transit and hadn't been used for a while. The bass is surprisingly decent for the size of speaker, although you do lose some of the low base compared to the GPs, as you'd expect. Will be interesting to see how much that changes when they are really close to a wall upstairs.

UPDATE - I now have the ultimate mullet system in the study, and it's sounding great - Concertinos on stands either side of the desk, Bow Wazzoo amp and a £25 bitstream Philips CD player I picked up this morning in our local secondhand shop - so nearfield the speakers are almost headphones, and the CDP seems not bad at all - the joys of bargain hifi!

Cheers, Steve

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2006
    steveh, Jul 6, 2006
Ask a Question