Speaker Cable suitability.

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Snoo, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Snoo

Snoo

I'm after some advice.

I've managed to get hold of some very nice cable at work that was being binned. It's used in aircraft to carry instrumentation signals over a long distance. It's 2 core with a PTFE outer and a silver plated screen. The 2 cores are again PTFE coated and either silver or silver plated. I really want to give it a go as a speaker cable.

The only thing is, how do I ascertain whether this is safe? I need to be fairly certain that it isn't going to overheat and melt due to my speakers drawing too much current.
    I can't find any specs on this cable as yet, but the diameter of the wire in each core is 1mm diameter. I figure this is about the same as my Chord speaker cable but I'm after some reassurance!!

Can anyone advise?

Thanks.

Snoo, Oct 9, 2006
  2. Snoo

zanash

Its safe ............!! but it will make a better ic IMO but don't let that stop you trying it as a speaker cable.

If its ptfe then you don't have any problems ...
    This cable sounds very familiar .....
    I've some in dayglo orange but the centre cores are 2mm twisted pair silver plated copper 19 x 0.07mm if memory serves ...

zanash, Oct 9, 2006
  3. Snoo

la toilette Downright stupid

Sounds identical to the stuff I've got, I use it for both interconnects and speaker cable. Some bloke was selling some on ebay a while back. Made a big positive difference to my setup when used as interconnects, and I thought it a decent improvement on my Ecosse speaker cable (although subsequently when I re-compared them I wasn't so sure, hmmm :confused: ).

la toilette, Oct 9, 2006
  4. Snoo

Snoo

Mine is also dayglo orange as it happens! I'll try to get a picture tomorrow.

If you used it as an IC would you run 1 core to the centre signal pin and link the screen and the 2nd core to the screen of the phono plug?

Snoo, Oct 9, 2006
  5. Snoo

zanash

The way I do it is ...........[drum roll]

the two cores carry the signal and ground[blue- ground, red- hot in my case] the screen is connected at the source end to ground only. Making a true dirrectional cable.

sound wise ....depends what your using or used to. I find them a bit bright and toppy with a one note bass ......though they are often an improvment on some of the freebie and cheap cables.

The RCA plugs will effect the sound don't use big heavy ones with lots of metal.......the best performance /price are the small neutriks at about a pound each from rs or farnell.... Though if you can stretch to eichmanns theres a small benefit at a big cost.

I've moved on from these and have used the kiss principle [keep it simple stupid] I now run simple twisted pair of solid core silver or AgAu ....for me these are very hard to beat unless your going to throw very serious money to a dealer.

If you want more info pm I've a step by step recipe with photo on how to build the exact cable you have ....

zanash, Oct 10, 2006
  6. Snoo

Snoo

Thanks Zanash.

I'll knock a set up. Got some time on my hands over the next few days so this will keep me out of mischief!

Snoo, Oct 10, 2006
Ask a Question