speaker kits

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by taz, May 30, 2006.

1. taz

taz

ok chaps has any one of you built some decent speakers ?
    I have been looking at a few although not particulaly cheap they sound like they may be very capable once finished. My woodworking skills are quite reasonable although i'm no cabinate maker but are they realy worth the effort sound quality wise
    i fancy these
    called the thor thor_evo04.jpg
    http://www.lautsprechershop.de/english/index_hifi.htm
    or maybe
    vox200.jpg

not cheap I know but any one with experience in speaker building and who knows the pitfalls i would love to hear you views
    thanks

taz, May 30, 2006
  2. taz

zanash

I've built the CT 145 [with slight mods] These are great kit speakers......

zanash, May 30, 2006
  3. taz

de'Kev

I've built quite a few kits in the past. The company I've had most joy with are IPL. I built 2 of their kits and was pleased with both.
    I've now moved away from box speakers and gone to OB and planar speakers, they do it for me but don't suit everyone.

Kev

de'Kev, May 30, 2006
  4. taz

avanzato

The Thor can be bought from http://www.seas.co.uk/ for less. The Euro companies quote the price for a single speaker, if you hadn't noticed that already.

I've most of the bits for one of the Alcone kits that you can see on Strassaker and have a good reputation but I need to find the time to build them.

avanzato, May 30, 2006
  5. taz

taz

hi Kev
    do you mean omni directional like the shahinians ?
    I demmed some once and i was quite taken aback not sure wether or not they where fantastic or just different.Certainly made me sit up and listen mind

taz, May 30, 2006
  6. taz

taz

no i didn't realise that the price was for 1 speaker gulp!
    that makes them rather expensive

taz, May 30, 2006
  7. taz

Dik Dolan

Count me in as another IPL kit lover. I have the S3 ribbon kit (not the latest magnesium one) and think it's wonderful.

Dik Dolan, May 30, 2006
  8. taz

de'Kev

Planar speakers

No for planar speakers I mean e.g. Quad ELS57 which I have heard many times and despite their limitations I still consider them excellent. Another example is the range of Magnepan magnaplanar speakers one of which I still own but is in the back room, probably sell them in the near future.

OB speakers are open baffle i.e. they have no box behind them, speakers are on a front baffle plate on a stand. They are severely limited to bass response which must be equalised to get a flat response. In my room I'm getting down to 30Hz. Benefits are an uncoloured midrange, which is common to planar speakers, with excellent dynamics. I've not heard any box speaker, IB, TL, vented or horn which can match an OB for transparency. YMMV of course

See http://www.linkwitzlab.com for more info.

Kev

de'Kev, May 30, 2006
  9. taz

julian2002 Muper Soderator

another thumbs up for ipl's - checkout my sig for the build diary i did when i made my pair.
    they aren;t for everyone but i find them very easy to live with, detailed with good bass response in my room - they do boom a bit but no where near as much as the b&w's i had before.

julian2002, May 30, 2006
  10. taz

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2006
    SteveC, Jun 2, 2006
  11. taz

eisenach

Has anyone tried making the IPL subwoofer kit or know what it sounds like?

eisenach, Jun 3, 2006
  12. taz

leo

Another thumbs up for IPL:) I've been happy with my S3tlm ribbons for a few years now, well until recently when one of the drivers got damaged by small fingers:(
    I noticed IPL now sell magnesium drivers and different ribbon tweeters compared to the Legend acoustic in mine
    Has anybody tried the newer ones yet? If I replace my damaged aluminium driver with a pair of the magnesiums I may as well change the tweeter too if the newer one is better

leo, Jun 3, 2006
  13. taz

Dik Dolan

Sorry to hear about your damaged speaker, Leo.
    I haven't heard the new magnesium kits, I guess your best bet is to ask Ivan=)...seems a shame to not use the legend tweeter still, though....unless his new one is lots better, of course ( in which case it must be bloody orgasmic) =)

Dik Dolan, Jun 3, 2006
  14. taz

leo

Thanks Dick!
    I am a bit gutted but never mind:rolleyes:
    The Legends do sound very good imo yet I've never seen them in other speakers or for sale anywhere else, I wonder why Ivan does not sell them anymore:confused:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2006
    leo, Jun 6, 2006
Ask a Question