Speaker Placement - Need Help!!!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by tkyong1, Feb 21, 2006.

1. tkyong1

tkyong1

Hi guys,
    Sure a lot peoples here will scream : oh..no...old tread again!!
    Sorry guys, but I really need your help here because I am not very good in speaker placement (of course my english is bad too).

My system:
    Primare D20 CDP + Primare I20 Int. Amp.
    ProAc Studio 125 Floor stander
    Siltech Paris Interconnect + QED Silver Anni. Bi-Wire.

My Listening Room:
    H x W x L = 9' x 13.5' x 21'
    Ration : ( 1 : 1.5 : 2.3 )

Room Type:
    Concrete Wall, heavy curtain covering window.
    2 mid-size movable carpets, well furnish.

My problems:
    Have been trying the following based on some advise from Internet & dealers:

1. Cardas method - not workable : too far into room (WAF).

2. Audio Physic method (to side 27", to rear 42")
    - a little boom, soundstage depth not good.

3. Rule of third / Fifth (to side 32", to rear 50")
    - weak bass, lean sounding.
    - but good soundstage depth.

Anyone please help what should I do?
    The same set-up sound amazing at dealer's shop.
    I like my music to sound balance, little warm with good soundstage depth & imaging.

PLEASE HELPPPPPPP!!!!! I AM REALLY SUFFERING!!
    CAN'T SLEEP, CAN WORK FOR THIS!!!!!

tkyong1, Feb 21, 2006
  2. tkyong1

Stereo Mic

Are you firing across the room or down the length?

Stereo Mic, Feb 21, 2006
  3. tkyong1

zanash

For me ......

The first place to start would be to fire across the short axis. Set the speakers up so that they have 5-6" from the side walls with 12" ish between them. They need about a foot of air behind them .....move your listening chair to face them [in between the speakers]. Toe in the speakers so an imaginary line will cross exactly at your seated listening position. This can be adjusted it you feel the sound is beaming to much at you.

Adjust by small ammounts 1" at a time in out left to right.

If you have a hole in the middle of the sound stage the speakers are too far apart. bring them closer and try again.

If this doesn't work setup the speakers to fire down the length of the room move your seated listening position so that you are about 2/3 down the room.The speakers should be set so that there is about 12" to the side and rear walls [as a starting point].
    This can be adjusted inwards but I feell the distance out must remain small....as you and your partner need to live in the room too!
    Again toe in so that the line from each speaker crosses at your listening position.

Adjust as before.

Also experiment bringing the listening possition forwards and back.

My listening room is my lounge and has similar dimensions I fire across the short axis the speakers imaginary line crosses infornt of the listening position by a foot.....I have a full image of sound across the room length with sound often appearing from beyond the speakers.

If you still have problems pm me and I'll let you have my email and we can exchange room photos and plans which should sort you out !

The rugs need to be placed so that the imaginary line bounced off the floor hits the rug before it gets to you.

zanash, Feb 21, 2006
  4. tkyong1

speedy.steve

I have the ProAc D25's and find ProAc's set up advice not to be too far out for my room. I can't run them anything like 1m from the back wall (SWMBO) but as they are down firing ported this seems to work. The other distancing works well and you can scale it too.
    From the ProAc site it seems 125's are rear ported so will need more room to breath from the back wall.

For D25's see

http://www.proac-loudspeakers.com/d25.php

Download the Hi-Fi Choice Magazine Review (4mb)
    the set up diagram is on the last page.

Another thing I found was that with wood flooring use carpet mats under the speakers - double thickness, sample swatches from carpet places in suitable colour = wife friendly and cheap at £2 for 4. Perhaps this is only needed due to the down firing port though.

speedy.steve, Feb 21, 2006
  5. tkyong1

felix part-time Horta

Ask a Question