Special library transcription lp???????????

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by rewster, May 22, 2005.

1. rewster

rewster

:) hello all,

I was given some LP type discs today by a mate who wanted rid, and guessed I'd be interested. trouble is for the life of me I can't work out exactly what they are.

Each disc is about 16" in diameter, and single sided, appearing to contain just one track. All are 331/3 rpm from what I see, and all have
    'Special Library Transcription' printed on the plain blue label, with biro marked contents, ie Stan Kenton Orchestra, 7/9/52, Blue Note/Chic, cut-NBC

I guess these might be of interest to someone on here, and assume they must be some form or archive/reference standard disc or similar. Anyone know anything about them?

rewster, May 22, 2005
  2. rewster

ListeningEar

You have a PM!

ListeningEar, May 22, 2005
  3. rewster

Anex Thermionic

AFAIk they were used for radio broadcast. They play inside to out by default but I think some play the other way. I don't think theres anything particularly different about them other than playing the opposite way and being 16"s when compared to 12" LP's, I think the point of them is just that you can fit more on in one go so you didn't have to stop the broadcast and turn them over. I'd guess there probably isn't much kit about to play them anymore so not sure if they're really worth anything, guess you'd have to find the right person if you wanted to sell them. I'd put them on the wall personally :)

EDIT: looks like I stand corrected on them being wanted :D

Anex, May 22, 2005
  4. rewster

Graham C

The BBC might want them

Graham C, May 23, 2005
Ask a Question