squeaky cd63 draw

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by harrygrey382, Apr 30, 2007.

1. harrygrey382

harrygrey382

the draw squeaks when it opens and shuts. Can I just carefully apply some grease or drops of oil without taking the cover off (as in, it won't bring it in and coat stuff that doesn't want lubing)? Or do I need to do a full cover off, grease tracks etc..
    Damn I'm lazy, maybe I should do it just cos I even asked

harrygrey382, Apr 30, 2007
  2. harrygrey382

T-bone Sanchez

NO!! If you MUST use something use a silicone based product. Grease or oil clogs up the rails and will lead to further problems. These players have a noted problem with the original grease decaying and causing all sorts of trouble. Id clean all the rails with isoprop and see what its like after that.

T-bone Sanchez, Apr 30, 2007
  3. harrygrey382

harrygrey382

ah ok, so clean is better than lubed? So is there a cd-drawer lube, or is it just general purpose silcon based?

harrygrey382, Apr 30, 2007
  4. harrygrey382

T-bone Sanchez

Just used a silicone-based grease but use as little as possible. Id clean everything with a q-tip and some isoprop and see what its like. If you still have a squeak then try the silicone grease.

T-bone Sanchez, May 1, 2007
  5. harrygrey382

felix part-time Horta

It's easy to remove the tray though. With it unplugged, remove the six screws to take the top off the player (pull backwards and up slightly to free it). Pull the tray out manually as far as possible. In the tray's 'tail' on the left handside you'll see a circular hole, through which there's a little plastic latch visible - tweak it out of the way with a screwdriver and the tray pulls out completely. Clean/lube as required, and just push it back in when done - the latch (and travel limit switches) don't need resetting :)

felix, May 1, 2007
  6. harrygrey382

harrygrey382

right, *trying*, thanks guys

harrygrey382, May 1, 2007
  7. harrygrey382

harrygrey382

ok, another related question. Another player I've just replaced the pickup on (Rotel RCD930ax) is playing up. The laser assembly won't engage the cd - isn't being pushed up far enough. I can help it up with my finger and it's fine.
    It's driven up by a very coarse worm driveing a handle on the assembly. It's got white grease on, was going to clean it all off iwth IPA then regrease. Can I use lithium based or does it need to be silicone again?
    Anyone else come across this problem? Anything else that might help?

harrygrey382, May 4, 2007
Ask a Question