Stand Up Roy Gregory!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by merlin, Jul 3, 2004.

1. merlin

merlin

Has anyone had the chance to look over the Editorial in the latest issue of HiFi Plug? It appears that our Roy has decided to answer his critics through the safe haven of his own publication.

After briefly portraying the internet user as somewhat uncouth, he then proceeds to try to defend his reputation against allegations (just about everywhere) of product bias and manufacturer collusion.

Easy to do from the safety of his own pages! No need to answer any difficult questions that might come up on a forum plus the ability to vet any correspondence and only mke public those which suit his arguement.

So RG, why not stand up for yourself and your stained reputation on the internet, where we can have an open discussion? Guess you simply don't have the time :D

I'll start off with two simple questions.

Why is there a third mini review of Nordost mains cables in this month's issue?

Why the need for yet another two reviews of the Avatar OBX's?

Here's in (limited) anticipation

merlin, Jul 3, 2004
  2. merlin

The Devil IHTFP

I think (hope) he's sensible enough to know that he would get torn to pieces here. And can you imagine trying to make any sense of his posts? The stuff he writes in Hi-Fi+ is bad enough, and I guess he has time to go through and edit that. Stream of consciousness Gregoryisms would be too much to bear.

The Devil, Jul 3, 2004
  3. merlin

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

Even so, given that no magazine is perfect and they each have to balance a number of interests just to stay in business, I'll still go for the one that smells nicest. :D

7_V, Jul 3, 2004
  4. merlin

julian2002 Muper Soderator

but steve, you have to say that as part of the conspiracy ;)
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jul 3, 2004
  5. merlin

Lt Cdr Data om

corr, all those cables and avatars, were you given them for free so to write about how good they are, Roy, come and be a man and defend yourself where there is accountability.
    Your mag. seems like a mouthpiece for the manufacturers to cajole us, the gullible public into buying, and you think we are fickle to be manipulated by all that!! Have some respect. We pay your wages. Or perhaps, does someone else...??

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2004
    Lt Cdr Data, Jul 3, 2004
  6. merlin

penance Arrogant Cock

I think what was said previously is true, that they (mag journo's) are probably starting to poo themselves in the realisation that people can gain more help and information on kit from real people on forums, than could ever be gained from a biased rag.

penance, Jul 3, 2004
  7. merlin

merlin

I suspect sadly he will continue to hide behind his right of censorship, besides which as bub so wonderfully points out, the thought of Gregoryballs floating free on this forum is scary.

I'd love to see his description of the buying process for his very expensive setup, no doubt telling of the attack of the buying urge being perfectly complimented by the colourful and rich new toy experience flowing into the never ending decay (or not ;) ) of his fitfull bank balance.

merlin, Jul 3, 2004
  8. merlin

Lt Cdr Data om

If RG gets given his system to say how good it is in his rag, then poor types like us have to fork out our hard earned dosh.
    Mags. have no responsibility, they test things, say how sexy they are, then we have to live with the consequences of looking after it day in day out, not for 1 week, but for years. There is no ease of long term ownership tests.
    It was the same in the car mags., all they choose is the fastest, best handling. they don't live with the problems for years, just cane it around a test track. that's no way to test family ownership.
    I recall a what-car test saying the vauxhall omega ran rings around the bmw old 5 series in every area, but in the end, we would opt for the 5 series!!

Running scared that people are getting advice from Joe Bloggs in the street, trying to slur the good guys? we don't really know jack shit, RG is the self appointed guru expert to tell us what to buy. The bubble is bursting, these are the last bastions of a dying dealership and lie spreading fear inducing clique on the verge of whimpering out. No wonder they are trying to manipulate people.
    Very likely, typical response after being boxed into a corner.
    Even David Price, nice guy,hifi worlds editor, nice changes to the mag. but not immune from stuff, saying a marantz ki63 with a few caps. changed and his initials on it is the best cd player he has ever heard. I have heard he was given one free, too.

A magazine is an accountable item, if it takes up a position on things, it must defend its views, and give its reasons( just like it would defuse a lot of flak if refs. like Urs Meir debriefed afterwards about reasons for making decisions.) and a forum is the place to do this. This is where the real buying public now reside.
    To sit in an ivory tower preaching without fielding questions is sheer propaganda. The modern way is discourse, reasoning, and calm, considered response.

Lt Cdr Data, Jul 3, 2004
  9. merlin

Robbo

The only thing I would say is that it may not be the best thing to rely totally on the forums to make your choices, as I reckon about 90% of what you read on forums is utter BS :eek:

You can probably say the same about the mags though too. The trick is to have a good BS filter so that you can capture the useful stuff from both media.

Robbo, Jul 3, 2004
  10. merlin

merlin

I'd agree Robbo. Sadly RG seems to think he holds the moral and intellectual high ground. IMO this is where he needs to wise up, and adequately repulse the charges of bias and collusion.

merlin, Jul 3, 2004
  11. merlin

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Far beit from me to lambast a magazine that promotes the worthy Avatar :D

However, I do feel that changes to a crossover for example probably do not warrant additional reviews, just perhaps comments in the news section, as per other magazines.

I do not see other speakers in hifi+ which may have a couple of component changes now and then receive fresh reviews.

I havent seen the re-review, so Im guessing thats what it is.

The trouble with being the editor, someone who contributes extensively to editorial, and also financially involved in the success of the magazine is that you are unable to act independantly of each position.

A conflict of interest.

bottleneck, Jul 3, 2004
  12. merlin

Lt Cdr Data om

I concur that some of the forums can be full of rubbish, tho' you do have to sift through it all. Largely good people, here.

Lt Cdr Data, Jul 3, 2004
  13. merlin

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Right,

How about Mike invites Mr G, to an oline Q & A session?, providing we all behave like gentlemen, and field legitimate questions, (IE Merlin/Data/MikeB/BMax) can bite their tounges.
    Then he could PERSONLY answers ALL your GENUINE questions, how ever I suspect that if he did come on, what ever answer he gave the Anti R/A squad would diss anyway.
    Just a thought here, you never know?

wadia-miester, Jul 3, 2004
  14. merlin

Lt Cdr Data om

I agree to hold my tongue, under penalty of banishment, I think excellent idea, WM.

Lt Cdr Data, Jul 3, 2004
  15. merlin

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Data,

I'm not for minute taking sides in this issue, and to honest I do feel, there is scope for questions to be answered :)
    If we can conduct the 'interview' in a civilised manner, it may help explain both parties points of view and promote some under standing (possibly)
    Rather than turn into a witch-hunt, (I can see cj getting the spit ready now :D )
    Dunno what do you guys think?

wadia-miester, Jul 3, 2004
  16. merlin

muffinman

have you read the review of the shanling cdp in there?

apparently they are going to bring out an sacd version, with integrated amps and monoblocs possibly in the future!!!!

cutting edge news i think you'll agree

muffinman, Jul 3, 2004
  17. merlin

penance Arrogant Cock

Tone

Seems a good idea, would put the argument to bed once and forall.

I think even i can hold my tounge;)

penance, Jul 3, 2004
  18. merlin

Why are Hi-Fi+ and Roy Gregory singled out for criticism? Are Hi-Fi News, Hi-Fi Choice, What Hi-Fi, Stereophile, etc., etc. so much better?

It's no secret that I like the magazine (although, of course, I don't agree with everything printed in it). However, I don't like the magazine because I got a good review in it, I chose the magazine for review because I liked it. I must also confess that I have great admiration for anyone who commits all, on a low budget, to compete with the big boys, whether or not I like their style of writing or agree with their views on hi-fi.

Of course there are the pretty pictures and the nice smell - no need to read the damn thing at all. :)

Are we still peeved because RG dared to publish some criticisms of on-line forums?

7_V, Jul 3, 2004
  19. merlin

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Steve,

My own previous feelings against RG are the fact that as pointed out he tries to wear 3 hats..

1) Hifi Journalist
    2) Magazine Editor
    3) Ownership of the magazine

Everytime he writes something, he will edit it himself, and always have in the back of his mind how it may effect the financial prosperity of the magazine!!

Other mags like hifi world are owned by large publishing syndicates. A parallel would be Simon Pope the former editor of hifi World. Editorial by Simon was minimal. He edited the magazine. He did not own the magazine.

RG compounds the problem of editorial bias IMHO by having very strong opinions on hifi and a capacity to over-sell a product by extremes.. (the example of his partner 'falling off the sofa' so amazed was she by a little silver box springs to mind)

I think that hifi + (which has great kit reviewed, wonderful pictures and is truly a beautiful magazine) suffers from lack of independance.

:)

Personally, I dont think seeing him here would help.

bottleneck, Jul 3, 2004
  20. merlin

I take your point although I wonder about HiFi World. Don't they sell their own range of amplifiers?

7_V, Jul 3, 2004
Ask a Question