stepped volume

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by harrygrey382, Jan 29, 2007.

1. harrygrey382

harrygrey382

Just found a stepped attenuator I pulled out of a wall mounted volume control at home. I've started making a passive line stage. I did a quick test on the pot, and found I can make no sense of it:
    each side (assuming this means channel) has 4 connection plugs/screws. I leave the earths connected, then I put the +ve input into one hole, and the out into another. On one of the holes, the it works, but in reverse! as in anti-clockwise is making it louder... In another hole, it is all silent apart from one notch, where the osund is full blast. On the last hole it's all dead.

Can someone explain what to connect please, should the earth be wired into the pot? Does it sound like it's buggered?(i can remember it working fine)

Lastly, it had a thin washer, with a long lug that poked into a hole (with 11 options) around the base of the input shaft, this seems to restrict the number of notches. Could this be wrong (as it lifts easily)? I've done some trial and error and can't work out where it's meant to go.

Can one of you experienced DIYers shed some light please?
    Thanks

harrygrey382, Jan 29, 2007
  2. harrygrey382

zanash

Well lets see

the washer with the pin selects the number of clicks [switch positions] the rotator can access. As to the connections

get your self a multi meter and working with one probe to ground measure all the resistances at each click in all positions....this will check that they are all working for both channels ..it will give you the overal resistance and which way round the connections are.

once you have this info it should be straight forward working out whats what.

Alternatively get one like.....ebay 130073185128

zanash, Jan 30, 2007
  3. harrygrey382

harrygrey382

right, well it seems like it's carcked it then. Values are all over the place with multimeter. That ebay one looks nice. But I was also thining about an alps blue velvet. Where are these on the pot food chain, below that stepped attenuator?

harrygrey382, Jan 30, 2007
  4. harrygrey382

zanash

There another flavour .....

dark silky smooth ...

I've got one of these as well ebay 170068781667

......fab value .....

you need a ac psu to run it and a case ...I built the whole lot for about £40.....

pm Uncle Ants.....he has the unit at the moment

zanash, Jan 30, 2007
  5. harrygrey382

harrygrey382

hmm, looks tempting. So the relay selects the channel... and needs the ac to work? I suppose otherwise it sounds like a Alps Blue, isn't 100K a little high though?

6. harrygrey382

zanash

mine seems fine with 100k into cyber800..... yep a maplins 9v ac powers the switching relays

zanash, Jan 30, 2007
  7. harrygrey382

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

So far the passive with the alps blue and the relays is a much nicer listen than the pre with the stepped attenuator. Is it the pot or is it the relays? The former would be my guess as the sound is much closer to the passive pre in my Densen which also uses an alps blue, though of a different value judging by where on the control the action is, but doesn't use relays. Could be the stepped attenuator needed running in, but with 23 steps ... bugger that :) Its an interesting exercise so far. I'd never imagined that the volume control could have such a noticeable impact on the sound. I want to try some other pots.

All in all though for less than fifty quid this ones very hard to fault.

Uncle Ants, Jan 30, 2007
  8. harrygrey382

harrygrey382

right sounding like the alps blue is the one to go for. But each time I get interested, the recommended value increases. Shall I go for a 10K, 50K or 100K for general widespread use?
    Would you two say the relays are better (sonically) than a rotary selector switch?

9. harrygrey382

zanash

yes .......but its a more costly option

I'd go 50k on the pot .....you can pick them up cheaply so even if its not quite right you've not lost a shed load of dosh.

I'n my system the stepped attenuator sounds clean fast and detailed ...against silky smooth and dark for the alps ......I'm goingto have to put the relays and the stepped pot together to see if thats an option ......

zanash, Jan 31, 2007
  10. harrygrey382

ben556473

ben556473, Feb 11, 2007
  11. harrygrey382

zanash

interesting ...anyone heard it ?

zanash, Feb 11, 2007
  12. harrygrey382

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

That's certainly a handy looking lump wouldn't you say?

Uncle Ants, Feb 14, 2007
Ask a Question