Strange predicament

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by PBirkett, Jan 8, 2004.

1. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Well as you guys know, I bought some Sennheiser HD650 headphones, but I dont really like them. The shop will not offer a refund, so I am left with the possibility of swapping them. Given that I dont really want any headphone related things, I am happy with this, I am thinking of upgrading either amp or speakers.

I am using a 40 watt Rotel RA-01 amp at the minute.

One possible option is to add the RB-03 power amp, although given that I never really get to use the power the existing amp has, then I'd not be too keen on that idea really.

Another option is obviously the speakers. I am pretty happy with my system as it stands, so this has become an akward predicament for me.

So, I'll list the speakers that are available to me, and in my pricerange, and also the amps the are available and in my price range, and if you could give me some idea what I would be well off doing.

What do I want from it then? Well basically, just an enjoyable, bouncy and fun sound, nothing more nothing less. Quite upfront, but without being too bright and fatiguing.

Please help guys...

So the amps would be (to go with Mission M51's)

+ DPA Renaissance (£300)
    + NAIM NAIT 3 (£400)
    + Rega Brio (£298)
    + Rotel RB-03 Power Amp (To go with RA-01, £275)
    + Marantz PM7200 (£300)

I think the Rotel amp is VERY good indeed, so I'd probably be more keen to change speakers.

The following speakers appear to be available...

+ Monitor Audio Silver S1 / S2 (£300 / £375)
    + B&W DM601 S3 (£250, 602 is too large)
    + Wharfedale Evo 8 / 10 Bookshelf (£250 / £310)
    + KEF Q1 (£250)
    + Epos M12 (£300)
    + Linn Sara (£260)
    + Rega Ela (Mk1 I believe, £240)

Ideally bookshelfs would be best, but I dunno, I'm just confused to be honest.

Please help!!

PBirkett, Jan 8, 2004
  2. PBirkett

penance Arrogant Cock

Paul
    how long have you had the phones?
    If within a reasonable time the shop are bound by law to take them back.

penance, Jan 8, 2004
  3. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

They are adament they will not take them back with a refund unless they are faulty. I didnt think they were oblidged to offer refunds unless it was unfit for the purpose it was sold?

PBirkett, Jan 8, 2004
  4. PBirkett

penance Arrogant Cock

nope
    electronics goods - you are entitled to a full refund for any reason, so long as they are in un-damaged condition and with packageing.
    Ive had shops try to pull the wool on me in that way, just ask them if they understand the law and trading standards.
    I just read your thread in the review forum and it seems youve only had them for around a week. you are deffinately entitled to a full refund by the same means you paid, cash for cash, refund to your CC etc..

If in doubt, and you do want a refund give CAB a call and they will be able to clarify

penance, Jan 8, 2004
  5. PBirkett

zanash

The headphone are not fit for the purpose ....because you don't like them, don't suit your system, suit your needs. You just need to know the relavent section of the trades description act..contact the which site for more info.

You need to be positive in your approach to the store, but not abusive, but maintain your position if you feel your in the right.

zanash, Jan 8, 2004
  6. PBirkett

maddog 2

I thought you really liked the HD650s?

maddog 2, Jan 8, 2004
  7. PBirkett

notaclue

Following is from http://www.hullcc.gov.uk/publicprotection/tradingstandards/consumer_law_faq.php

1. I've changed my mind about an item purchased, and the shop will not give me a refund. Can they do this?

Yes. The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) and the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002 provides the grounds on which rejection of the goods, and a refund is allowed. The Act says that goods bought must be:-

a) as described
    b) of satisfactory quality
    c) fit for their purpose

Only if the goods do not meet the above criteria can you reject the goods, and you are only entitled to a refund if you are deemed not to have accepted the goods (e.g. through lapse of time). Even if you have accepted the goods, you will still be entitled to redress in the form of damages. This will not usually amount to the sum originally paid for the goods but can include the cost of repairing the goods.

However, under the 2002 regulations you can choose to request a repair or replacement instead, although the retailer can decline either of these if they are disproportionately costly in comparison to any alternative. Any remedy must be completed without significant inconvenience to you. If neither a repair nor a replacement is realistically possible you can instead request a partial or full refund, depending on what is "reasonable" in the circumstances.

When the seller is not in breach of the above terms, such as where a consumer changes his/her mind, the item is not suitable, or does not fit, there is no right to a refund. If the shop do offer either a refund, exchange or credit note, then it is more than you would be legally entitled to, unless you specifically agree prior to purchase what would happen should these circumstances arise.

notaclue, Jan 8, 2004
  8. PBirkett

penance Arrogant Cock

well i never:shame:
    i thought electronic goods are covered on there own tho?

penance, Jan 8, 2004
  9. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Notaclue is correct.

I've just been up to the trading standards section (the perks of working for a council :D) and they confirmed that the shop does not have to do ANYTHING. Not even swap for something else (although the shop said they will swap for anything they have for sale). So given all that, I dont see any point in pursuing a lost cause, I can either sell the headphones and lose some money, or I can swap for something else, and as it happens, i wouldnt mind a change I guess.

So any thoughts on the above components please?

Maddog2 - I did like them, but check the review section, I like my Sony's much better as it turns out. :eek:

PBirkett, Jan 8, 2004
  10. PBirkett

My name is Ron It is, it really is

Paul, what are we going to do with you? Have you considered changing your source? For instance, the credit on the Senns will take a big chunk out of a RCD-02. Its synergy with the RA-01/02 really has to be heard to be believed…

My name is Ron, Jan 8, 2004
  11. PBirkett

penance Arrogant Cock

Paul
    sorry for misguiding you,
    damn it worked for me in the past:rolleyes:

penance, Jan 8, 2004
  12. PBirkett

notaclue

I'd also reckon a matching Rotel CD player would be a sensible option. Otherwise, you run the risk of getting something 'different' only to realise it isn't as 'good' as what it replaced. Not that you would do that, of course... :D

notaclue, Jan 8, 2004
  13. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Hmm, I'd thought about that, but to be honest, I've got a soundcard which I honestly, hand on heart, feel like it beats or matches any CD player out there costing £500 or less. I know this sounds like a load of crap, but thats the gods honest truth. I've heard NAD C521BEE and Rotel RCD-965BX (with my Sony CD3000 and X-Can), as well as my old Cambridge DAC3 and the soundcard kicked sand in all their faces to my ears.

Not only that, but I can only afford £400 amp / speakers because I know I'll get about £150 for either the old amp or speakers. An extra £130 on top without having anything to sell is not an option.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2004
    PBirkett, Jan 8, 2004
  14. PBirkett

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Rega Ela 1's - easy to drive and kick arse :) They work well with that NAIT3 you mention as well - but to be honest your Rotel probably isn't so far behind the Naim, based on what I've heard from Rotels (ok, so they're all the older 920AX type ones - but very bouncy and clean).

Personally - since you're into your dance/trance - stop piddling around and get a turntable - a Rega2 and Ortofon 510 is in budget(ish!) dude - you know it makes sense ;)

domfjbrown, Jan 8, 2004
  15. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Nowhere to put a turntable Dom, and even if I did, I'd have no music to play on it till I got paid. I can appreciate yours and other peoples enthusiasm for vinyl, but its not really a pursuit I wished to follow.

The Rega Ela's my mate has some, and they are pretty damn good, they are a little short heightwise, but I'm sure I could sort that problem out.

I didnt think the RA-01 would be far behind a NAIT3 to be honest.

What about Linn speakers, are they good?

PBirkett, Jan 8, 2004
  16. PBirkett

Joolsburger

What headphone amp are you using with the Senns perhaps changing that might be a way to solve your issue? I mean they are good phones and a change of the gear your happy with seems a bit pointless.

Joolsburger, Jan 8, 2004
  17. PBirkett

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Why do you want to change your speakers? You already have one of the best pairs available at the price. Only the 780SE might better them.

Similarly, changing the amp for another at a similar price will not reap huge dividends.

Will the shop give you a credit note? Then you could put off spending the money until you're really ready to upgrade.

technobear, Jan 8, 2004
  18. PBirkett

tones compulsive cantater

I have Keilidhs (now superceded) and they have always been excellent, even before going active with them. However, I use them with Linn amps, so I've no idea how they go with other brands. They come up on E-Bay quite often, e.g.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3070448438&category=14993

The small Kans have a big following, but I've never heard them, so I can't comment.

tones, Jan 8, 2004
  19. PBirkett

technobear Ursine Audiophile

I tried Keilidhs when I bought my Mission 773e's. 'Nuff said really :cool:

technobear, Jan 8, 2004
  20. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I think I'll just flog the Senns and hope for the best, I am happy with my kit, and I'll lose maybe £70 at the most (hopefully), but I think you guys are right - not much point in changing kit I'm happy with.

Cheers guys.

PBirkett, Jan 8, 2004
Ask a Question