Stripping Nordost

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by SteveC, Mar 30, 2005.

1. SteveC

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Hi -

Does anyone have any tips for how to strip the teflon (or whatever it is) insulation from Nordost speaker-cable?

I'm converting 2->4 biwire Solar Wind to 4->4 biamp Solar WInd. I have the Z-plugs, but it's incredibly hard to get the coating off without damaging the fine conductors, so that I can solder on the plugs. I know that Nordost offer a retermination service in some countries, but this is a) expensive b) potentially runs foul of reimport charges for me, and c) is not in the DIY spirit :)

TIA,
    SteveC

SteveC, Mar 30, 2005
  2. SteveC

Snoopdog

Steve,

I have cut, stripped and successfully re-terminated both Red Dawn and SPM Reference interconnects in the past and the task is not all that daunting once you start.

I suggest you equip yourself with a surgical or craft scalpel with a good supply of fresh sharp blades and a strong light source!

Start by placing a straight edge tangentally across the ribbon cable and score a fine line across the ribbon about 3-4 cms from the cut end to define the length of the conductor 'tails.'

Placing the scalpel at this line, draw it carefully along the length of the Teflon extrusion following the edge of each conductor until you reach the cut end. Then carefully pare (shave) the Teflon insulation away from each conductor taking care not to score the silver coating. Once the Teflon is removed from each conductor, use a sachet of Caig contact wipes to ensure that all traces of Teflon are removed before twisting and tinning each group of conductors. I would recommend using short lengths of glue-lined heat shrink as strain-relief where the soldered conductors meet the Z plugs and then finish off with normal heat shrink over the top of the plug to about 7 cms along the lendth of the ribbon cable to strengthen the joint. There are some pictures illustrating this process on Mark Sears Missing-Link website:-

http://www.the-missing-link.net/serv01.htm

Good Luck!

Steve

Snoopdog, Mar 30, 2005
  3. SteveC

Wow, that's great, thanks! I guess I just needed to hear it could be done in that way and there are no short cuts. I need to buy some new blades.

After posting, I found a thing on the net called a Nordost Flatline stripper tool FL021 but Im too impatient to wait for one to be sent. I've done it with Flatline before, but as you describe, I need to reach another plane of exacting and precise cutting and scraping with Solar Wind or above, it seems.

SteveC, Mar 30, 2005
  4. SteveC

Well I did what you say and it went 90% OK. I pulled off the insulation on each strand with fingernails rather than scrape with the blade. I got better as I went along. It certainly is the solution to separate each strand before stripping, even though the wires are very fine. I could have used one of those big page magnifiers with a light that old folks use (won't be long actually) so I'll know next time.

Incidentally, if anyone wants to get rid of some Solar Wind, Blue Heaven or Red Dawn, please let me know as I am 5-wiring Linn 242s, etc. currently :)

SteveC, Apr 1, 2005
  5. SteveC

Snoopdog

Steve

Glad it went well!

Steve

Snoopdog, Apr 1, 2005
  6. SteveC

midlifecrisis Firm member

hmmmm, very timely post. is the Nordost mains cable straightforward? I was thinking of making two 1m cables out of a 2m Shiva - haven't pulled apart yet but assumed it would be a simple case of chopping, stripping and screwing plugs on (can;t solder won't solder) - is there more to it?

midlifecrisis, Apr 1, 2005
  7. SteveC

Snoopdog

It's alot easier than stripping and re-terminating their interconnects. As well as Red Dawn and SPM Reference ribbon interconnects, I have also cut and re-terminated Valkyrja and Valhalla interconnects and Vishnu and Valhalla power cords.

The Shiva should be straightforward as it has the thinnest conductors out of the three (now four with Brahma!) power cords.

Once you remove the outer FEP coating (use sharp scalpel) the conductors are all micro-monofilament and the tubes can be cut (with care) using a sharp scalpel. The Teflon helix that surrounds each conductor is simply snipped away and the conductors fitted to each LNE terminal in the mains plugs.

Because the insulator (Teflon tubing) in the micro-monofilament cable doesn't actually touch the conductor, as in the case of the FEP extrusion in the ribbons, not so much care has to be taken to ensure that each conductor is cleaned thoroughly before terminating.

As a final measure, I do wipe each conductor with Caig D5 and Progold before tightening each screw terminal.

Steve

http://photobucket.com/albums/y76/crystalref/

Snoopdog, Apr 1, 2005
  8. SteveC

Just FYI this is an email I got from Madison for the supply of the FL021 stripping tool

SteveC, Apr 1, 2005
  9. SteveC

Snoopdog

Not bad for 20 quid all in!

If I was stripping and re-terminating Nordost ribbon cable in quantity then this tool would be a bonus.

Snoopdog, Apr 1, 2005
  10. SteveC

midlifecrisis Firm member

midlifecrisis, Apr 2, 2005
Ask a Question