Sub design project. Experts sought :)

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by KUB3, Aug 22, 2006.

1. KUB3

KUB3 ciao

I fancy the idea of a little DIY project constructing a sub. Although I am handy at construction I have no idea where to start with regard to the design. If there is anyone on here who can share some expertise I'd appreciate it! I don't really even need a sub although I think it could be fun making one and learning a thing or two along the way.

The sub will be used in a spare room (only a 14x10') rather than the lounge initially. Application is for two channel music, with the odd film via a plasma. The only priority is sound quality. It must be as accurate as possible, so as not to drag down my hifi into blurred sub bass. Would be good to limit max size to 8 cubic foot. (Kit is benchmark dac1 into pmc aml1 active near field monitors).

Considerations:

1. Should I use a large driver that only has to move a tiny amount (say a Precision Devices 24") or a smaller driver (JBL pro?) that would need to move a lot more to shift the same amount of air. Discussion most welcome! Remember accuracy, not spl is important.

2. Transmission line designs are the most accurate I've ever experienced so far. I'm open to other solutions though - sealed, ported, infinite baffle (although not really practicle in this room, but still interesting). Any thoughts?

3. Power could be the usual suspects of Bryston or Crown mono's. I'd like to hear some other ideas though. Perhaps digital or DIY options?

4. Cross over could be a Behringer, or...? I was thinking leave the floor standers running a full signal (which they do very well) with the sub only joining in from 15-40hz ish? Methods appreciated!

5. Location - would be good to have it placed bang in the centre of the room, as a single sub solution. Acting as a coffee table too. I understand 2 or 4 subs in the corners (or moved out a little) is another ideal solution. However I'd like to just make one sub.

I was looking for free downloadable sub enclosure design software. So far I have these links below. Any reccommendations? A link to designing would be a good start for me too! Thanks in anticipation...

http://www.ajdesigner.com/speaker/index.php

http://www.caraudiohelp.com/subwoofe...e_software.htm

http://www.diysubwoofers.org/sld/sealed1.htm

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2006
    KUB3, Aug 22, 2006
  2. KUB3

KUB3 ciao

I've just entered the thiel para's into a bandpass design box calculator, for the PD 24" sub. F3 is 19Hz! Sounds like a plan. Except the box is large enough to live in!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2006
    KUB3, Aug 23, 2006
  3. KUB3

mr cat Member of the month

4. KUB3

mr cat Member of the month

5. KUB3

anubisgrau

Is ATC SB100-375 SC a good choice of 15" driver for DIY sub?
    Someone mentioned that ATC big drivers are not so good. Haven't had a chance to hear it myself, but it looks monsterous at least.

anubisgrau, Aug 23, 2006
  6. KUB3

KUB3 ciao

After playing with some software it seems I need a driver with a high Qts and low Fs to obtain my goal of very deep extension. From this respect it seems both Precision Devices and JBL Pro drivers are eclipsed by the Volt 15". Looks like it has some very good T/S specs for my needs, so no wonder it's a popular choice.

Where is Merlin?!! Help!!!

P.S ATC100's don't cover the lowest octave of sub bass at all. I guess it's all in the implementation.

KUB3, Aug 23, 2006
  7. KUB3

KUB3 ciao

I've been advised to just purchase an off the shelf solution as it seems I'm out of my depth here. I think a lot of reading is required before I venture too far.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2006
    KUB3, Aug 23, 2006
Ask a Question