Sub positioning

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dreftar, Sep 19, 2006.

1. dreftar

dreftar

I moved my sub - more for aesthetic (pleasing she who must be obeyed) reasons and well, what a difference it has made. Everything in the lower registers is so much clearer, firmer and even sounds tunefull. The whole sound is clearer and more detailed. At first I thought the treble control had been turned up, but my pre amp doesnt have one!

The sub woofer is now near a corner and sideways on to the room. It shouldnt work - but it does!

dreftar, Sep 19, 2006
  2. dreftar

Hex Spurt

Lots of subs are designed to work their best in the corner of a room. They use the corner to generate deeper bass - which is exactly what you described.

As for everything else sounding more in tune, that could be down to room position again. A speaker placed at an even fraction of one of the room dimensions will excite the fundamental resonance modes of the room. In other words it'll make the sound peaky. Changing the position to odd fractions (1/3, 1/5, 1/7, 1/9 and so on) can often produce a 'clearer' sound.

Glad things are sounding better for you :)

Hex Spurt, Sep 21, 2006
Ask a Question