Subs - are two smaller ones best

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dreftar, Apr 26, 2006.

1. dreftar

dreftar

Just wanting some comments regarding whats best - using two small subs IE with 8" driver in a sealed encloseure or 1 larger one 10 or 12" in ported / band pass encloseure. I live in a remote part of the UK and cant visit a dealer to try before I buy. I could use some helpful suggestions here. My system at present uses the excellent IMO Elac 310i Jets on their stands (filled with Sand) powered by two Monarchy Audio Pro70s - sources BD2 TT, MArantz CD 63SE - NOS DAC and computer system VIa MA Delta 1010, My room is fairly small and rectangular in shape

:MILD:

dreftar, Apr 26, 2006
  2. dreftar

Tenson Moderator

Go for two smaller subs. If you place them in opposing corners they will cancel out some of the room modes.

Even better is two big subs!

Be aware though that if the sub placement is not in line with the main speakers you will need to adjust their phase shift to match the main speakers. You can calculate this based on their distance.

Tenson, Apr 26, 2006
  3. dreftar

dreftar

Thanks for that can you please explain about "sub placement not in line with main speakers" as I thought id place them as close to the base of the stands as possible. Im not convinced that low frequencies are directional. Im not as interested in getting really deep bass more a quick musical bass to give base guitar riffs some authority, and cello more character, double bass almost plucky in Jazz quartets. I dont want to shook out of my complaicency or wowed with earthquakes - just want to play more music musically!

dreftar, Apr 26, 2006
  4. dreftar

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

2 subs, but are you going to halve the quality of the subs you purchase by buying two with your budget instead of one?

You may find that quality wins out.

bottleneck, Apr 26, 2006
  5. dreftar

dreftar

Perhaps a middle course of one now and one later?

dreftar, Apr 26, 2006
  6. dreftar

Robbo

whats your budget?

Robbo, Apr 26, 2006
  7. dreftar

dreftar

£400 but secondhand may be a good option

dreftar, Apr 26, 2006
  8. dreftar

dreftar

from bkelec.com

The Gemini is an ultra compact 8" 150W subwoofer that brims full of controls and circuitry to allow it to fit into AV and Hi-Fi system simultaneously. Twin filters and displays, one for music one for movies

£199.95

looks very interesting 2 of within budget and that includes connecting leads, spikes etc

dreftar, Apr 26, 2006
  9. dreftar

Garmt

It's hard to find a musical sub for 400 UKP, but maybe a second hand REL would do?

Garmt, Apr 26, 2006
  10. dreftar

KUB3 ciao

No it won't

KUB3, Apr 26, 2006
  11. dreftar

dreftar

WHY????

dreftar, Apr 26, 2006
  12. dreftar

KUB3 ciao

I made the mistake of spending a lot on one of their top models, then spent 2 years trying to integrate it by faffing with placement and x-overs. Simply put, it is certainly not hifi. It will do loud blurry explosions for movies but it's far to slow for music, even at virtually off settings. Useful for putting your beer on, as it's a handy height.

KUB3, Apr 26, 2006
  13. dreftar

avanzato

The BK subs look to be getting a good rep on AVforums but have you noticed the Ruark ones on the BK sales page. The Ruark's also appear regularly on eBay, at a cheaper price, from a seller who seems to have a near endless supply and is also in Essex.

avanzato, Apr 26, 2006
  14. dreftar

Tenson Moderator

If you place the subs in two opposing corners and drive them with the same signal (i.e. mono) they will cancel out a lot of the room modes. So that is a good thing. But, it is unlikely you want to place your speakers right against the wall in the corners so there will be a delay between the sound from the speakers arriving with you and that from the subs.

Ideally you want to delay the main speakers so the sound from both arrive at the same time. however, if you can't do that, a lot of subs have a variable phase control. You can use this tyo make sure that, although the sound arrived slightly delayed, it is in phase with that from the main speakers. Having the same delay over a large frequency range say, 20Hz-100Hz is not all that noticeable anyway as long as it is in phase. This is what is called Group delay I believe.

BTW, a Behringer DEQ2496 or DCX2496 (hard to get at the moment) can give you time alignment between the two.

Tenson, Apr 26, 2006
  15. dreftar

grif

I bought 2 subs from bk and they did me a deal so ask if you go that way. I got the xls and the Ruark vita 50. Bear in mind the 50 is identical to the MJ acoustics pro50 which sells for twice the price and Ruark used to sell the 50 for 400 notes I believe, hence my excellent value comment previously.
    The 50 does'nt have the extension of larger subs but it will still shake your windows and its very fast and reletively easy to intergrate, possibly better than a larger sub for music? I was very pleasently surprised by it. I would think bk's own minotaur is the same if you wanted wood finish.

grif, Apr 27, 2006
  16. dreftar

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

£400 will buy you a pre-loved Ruark Log Rythm or Log Rythm 150 (the later model). A very musical sub for very little money from a company with a long history of making quality stereo loudspeakers (unlike REL).

Nice looker too. This would be the first port of call for me with that budget.

DT

Dynamic Turtle, Apr 27, 2006
  17. dreftar

avanzato

BKelec were selling the Log-Rythm discounted but I guess they've run out of them now. Are you spotting a pattern yet?

avanzato, Apr 27, 2006
  18. dreftar

Garmt

Or try to get your hands on a 2nd hand Velodyne. They are rare to find used, so that's why I was suggesting REL.

The Q100E is not bad. Neither is the Strata III. But stay away from their ported models I say.

Garmt, Apr 27, 2006
  19. dreftar

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Interesting.

When I used to read the rag's I'd notice on sub reviews they'd often make that statement in reverse. Stating how a sub from a company with a history in them, and often dedicated to them would tend to be a better option.

Your take on it seems MOre likely though in some ways.

MO!, Apr 27, 2006
  20. dreftar

dreftar

Seems then that my thinking may be on the right track - two smaller subs - sealed encloseures - situated next to the foot of my speaker stands or in opposing corners with phase adjusted correctly. Im not, however, so keen on placing any speakers in corners as IME it seems to excite standing waves and colouration of the sound. I want fast clean analytical and above all musical bass to complement and add authority to my ELAC 310i s. Would be nice to try before buy but not possible when you live on the Shetland Isles

dreftar, Apr 27, 2006
Ask a Question