Sugden A51 vrs p51

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Bigpaul, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Bigpaul

Bigpaul

Hi, wondered whether anybody could help me? I've got a Sugden P51 power amp, dating from 1976, and I like the grain-free sound. Somebody has offered me a Sugden A51, slightly older, but he suggests that despite its lower power output, it is a superior unit, being Class A rather than A/B. I am tempted, but wondered whether anybody has any thoughts? As I say, I like the sound of the P51, but I could be tempted!

Bigpaul, Mar 20, 2005
  2. Bigpaul

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

The original A51 is an absolute corker of an amp, IMHO definitely a step up from the P51. Expect to get it serviced though; it's old, runs hot, so the caps will be pretty dry by now.

Tony.

TonyL, Mar 20, 2005
  3. Bigpaul

Bigpaul

Thanks Tony..........your comments are much appreciated. Can you remember the pre-amp that was used to partner it when you heard it sounding so good? I've got the Sugden matching C51 pre, but to be honest I'm not that impressed. In my experience, pre-amps of that period (late 60s/early 70s) are less impressive than some of the power amps. Any other ideas as to a suitable pre-amp match for the A51? Thanks again.

Bigpaul, Mar 22, 2005
  4. Bigpaul

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

One of my friends uses an as yet unserviced A51 with a Densen DM20 preamp and it sounds truly excellent into his Spendor 1/2s. You are right in thinking the C51 is nothing too special, it sounds over warm and compressed compared to a good current pre.

Tony.

TonyL, Mar 23, 2005
  5. Bigpaul

Bigpaul

I might investigate a Densen..........I've never heard any of them. Especially as I've got Spendor BC1's. Currently, and definitely in preference to the C51, I use the pre-amp section of an Ion Obelisk 3X integrated (dates from the late 80's, when Nytech became Ion Systems, and then folded soon afterwards!) into my P51, but I am sure I could do better, especially if I get the A51.

Bigpaul, Mar 23, 2005
  6. Bigpaul

rick

i had a pair of p51's running a pair of imf tls 80's with ease. also had the a51 and did find this to be the more musical power amp. i spent years trying to find the c51 control unit and was really dissapointed when i got one. the pre's i used very succesfully were the pink triangle pip, dnm series 2 and even some old crimson electric sounded superior to the sugden. like tony says, be prepared to replace some caps. i remember the amps have 5 large reservoir caps which dont come cheap! however, the last time i spoke to sugden about replacing them they did seem interested in keeping the old warriors working and came accross as a good company to deal with though i never got round to doing the replacement. dnm 2's can be bought for a fair price these days and are a cracking bit of kit even by todays standards. good luck...

rick, Mar 24, 2005
Ask a Question