Sunny south east london

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by johnhunt, Jan 24, 2005.

1. johnhunt

johnhunt recidivist

apparently two bands that should keep record company execs in cocaine for the next year or two come from my neck of the woods

they are bloc party and athlete. anybody heard them?

johnhunt, Jan 24, 2005
  2. johnhunt

lordsummit moderate mod

I really like athlete, their last and first album was a quirky piece of English pop, that got nominated deservedly for the Mercury prize, I'm just hoping they don't go all Coldplay on me with their next album due out soon, in fact possibly today?

lordsummit, Jan 24, 2005
  3. johnhunt

voodoo OdD

Bloc Party are excellent. Try their single 'Banquet' for a taster.
    Not a big fan of Athlete , although their new single 'Wires' is pretty good.
    Bit too quirky for me.

voodoo, Jan 24, 2005
  4. johnhunt

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Another thumbs up for athlete here.

The aMOunt of new "indie" music I listen to has been dropping over the last few years. Little of the current crop of NME flavour of the weeks seem to do anything for me.

Someone got me the Athlete album "Vehicles & Animals" for my b'day last year. I'd heard the singles and thought they were pretty catchy, so worth a listen.

There's hints of coldplay about them already IMO, but in a MOre "quirky" and upbeat way. Where as the likes of Kelly from the stereophonics comes off as a total muppet with his croaky voice, Athlete manage to be croaky and good. erm.... if that makes sense.

Worth a listen if you're into that sort of thing. There's a few samples on the website. Compared to a lot of the current indie scene, they seem to be a cut above the bland norm, though still nothing truly mind blowing. However, you'll possibly remember the tunes after hearing the album! Which makes a nice change to a lot of the passive crap around at the MOment. www.athlete.mu

Blockparty.... I've a mate who is constantly on about these. He's an occasional Dj in a few of the alternative venues around here. I've had a couple of tracks blasted at me at ear bleeding levels through a car stereo, and though not enough to really comment, they sound well worth a listen. The Cure were the first obvious comparison to sppring to mind. Apparantly they're expected to take off quite big style.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2005
    MO!, Jan 24, 2005
  5. johnhunt

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Banquet! That's the one! He also played me a remix of it, which I think they'd done themselves. Very good it was too.

MO!, Jan 24, 2005
  6. johnhunt

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I'm seeing the Bloc Party on friday along with The Futureheads, Kieser Chiefs and the main attraction The Killers.

amazingtrade, Jan 24, 2005
  7. johnhunt

lordsummit moderate mod

So they've got so few songs they have to put 4 bands on. Doesn't bode well for any of them

lordsummit, Jan 24, 2005
Ask a Question