Super Silver Treatment - Contact Enhancer

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by MartinC, Nov 30, 2004.

1. MartinC

MartinC Trainee tea boy

2. MartinC

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Nope, but caig progold does the same job for rather less. I'm sure people will debate which sounds better...

By cleaning connections, I've measured a drop of around 0.6 ohms on a probe set at work, so it might be worthwhile for speakers. Not going to make much diff for I/Cs.

I-S, Nov 30, 2004
  3. MartinC

Sid and Coke

I think i would be very carefull about where i put that magic silver paste, especially if there is any chance of it migrating somewhere were it souldn't , such as a busy circuit board with lots of IC's, I would imagine that it could wreak havoc on a computer CPU socket :)

Surprisingly for me I really like the Caig cleaning and treatment products. We have started using both Pro-Gold and De-Oxit D5 on some troublesome switches and contacts on our Aircraft to good effect, the results are often measurable too with just a normal Fluke meter, It's certainly got me out of a few sticky situations recently. Even my strictly non-Hi-Fi work buddies are starting to swear by it, with no hardsell by me. I just happened to leave one of their product guides in the office one day, (this also means i get a free squirt if ever i need any :) ).

Sid and Coke, Nov 30, 2004
  4. MartinC

analoguekid Planet Rush

is it any wonder those on the east coast are seen as mean :)

analoguekid, Nov 30, 2004
  5. MartinC

Croc

i use it.

i treated with it all power male pligs (not IECs), interconnects, speaker cable's spades and power amp tubes' pins.

to be honest i didn't notice audible improvements.

it did fix noises that i had in some tube sockets - which is very good.

i also have to put it on preamp's tubes' pins - but i don;t have a nerve for this right now :rolleyes:

Croc, Dec 1, 2004
  6. MartinC

MartinC Trainee tea boy

I use the ProGold stuff at the moment. I'd seen the SST stuff before but now it seems to have gained a good review in HFW, comparing it favourably to Kontak, which is why I thought I'd see if anyone had used it. Interesting to hear your comments Croc, I'd in particular wondered about using in on mains plugs. Out of interest, why did you not use it on the IEC ends?

Interesting point Isaac, if you'd asked me before I'd have guessed it more important on ICs, but you're right of course. Any small resistance differences are going to be far more significant in the speaker circuit.

MartinC, Dec 1, 2004
  7. MartinC

tones compulsive cantater

Interested in the topic (as an old polymer man), I did a bit of looking around and came up with this:

http://www.stabilant.com./appnt15h.htm

I hadn't realised that an inherently non-conductive polymer such as a polyoxyalkylene block copolymer (very common in the surfactants business) could, under certain circumstances (electrical field and very narrow gap) become conductive. Must look into it when I have the time...

Note that, according to the manufacturers' claims, because it will only be conductive in narrow gaps, and anything outside the gaps will not conduct, it won't matter if you splash on more than you meant.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2004
    tones, Dec 1, 2004
  8. MartinC

spxy

"By cleaning connections, I've measured a drop of around 0.6 ohms on a probe set at work, so it might be worthwhile for speakers. Not going to make much diff for I/Cs."

Aren't the results going to depend on how dirty the connection is in the first place?
    Buy the way a dirty interconnect does benefit.

spxy, Dec 1, 2004
  9. MartinC

eisenach

I came across it on the web a few months ago. HiFi World has also recently reviewed it (Edit: Ah! should have followed the e-bay link first!), and was very positive. Note that it's not a cleaner but a contact enhancer i.e. it claims to conduct electrical current, and as such should be used very carefully, though Tones is no doubt right.
    The website's here

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2004
    eisenach, Dec 1, 2004
  10. MartinC

spxy- yes, absolutely they will depend on how dirty things are to begin with. However, the number I gave was simply to demonstrate the sort of magnitude of change.

For an IC passing essentially zero current with an input impedance of tens of kilohms, a fraction of an ohm will have little effect. Other effects may be present.

However, for a speaker cable carrying significant current into a load of 4-8ohms, there is potential for a magnitude as high as 10%, which is significant.

I-S, Dec 1, 2004
  11. MartinC

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Is this issue not complicated somewhat by the pressence of the silver flakes withing the compound? I had assumed it was this that gave rise to the risk of shorts the manufacturer mentions.

Eisenach - thanks for posting the link I should have bothered to track down when I started this thread! I see they're now selling, for double the price, a cryogenically treated form :rolleyes:.

MartinC, Dec 1, 2004
  12. MartinC

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

There is an enhanced version of this stuff, I've had some for a while, jury's out I'm afraid

wadia-miester, Dec 1, 2004
  13. MartinC

tones compulsive cantater

The one in the link I supplied has no silver flakes whatsoever, just straight polymer.

The thing that puzzles me about the silver is this; it's in a compound, so the individual flakes must be coated with the compound. This must surely disrupt conductivity, as a layer of compound will always interpose itself between the individual silver flakes, unless the compound itself is conductive. In which case, why bother with silver? I begin to wonder whether the silver is purely a gimmick, and that the manufacturer is relying on the fact that silver is known to be the best conductor of electricity and for people to assume that this superior conductivity also works here.

tones, Dec 1, 2004
  14. MartinC

Interesting point tones.

In the weird world of computer overclocking, silver-loaded pastes are used to fill out microscopic gaps between chip surfaces and heatsinks. These pastes are around 80% silver by mass, but they are non-conductive. They are, however, capacitive.

However, the reason silver is used in these pastes is similar... in addition to being the best conductor of electricity, it is the best conductor of heat.

I-S, Dec 1, 2004
  15. MartinC

Sid and Coke

Yet another potion that we have tried in our war against corrosion and bad contacts in the Aeroplane world. Have you seen how much that stuff costs !
    You get a poxy little plastic container about the size of a big 'super glue' tube and a few little application brushes for about £60. I managed to 'borrow' a small amount one dark night from work, luckily it uses IPA as a carrier, so a little goes a long way. It doesn't seem to do anything apart from make all of your connections slimy.

My god I'm a potion Junkie without even realising it, i think i've tried them all now over the years :) If i had to spend money on any one , Hmm OK De-Oxit D5 is my choice. I still have the original can that i bought ;) about 3 years ago, it lasts forever.

Sid and Coke, Dec 1, 2004
  16. MartinC

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Wot you mean the defence of the realm could be hanging on what might be hi-fi snake oil? :duck:

SteveC, Dec 2, 2004
  17. MartinC

Sid and Coke

Nah, I left the Air Force 9 years ago now, although i continued to work on Fast Jets (as 'Fighters' are commonly called ) for another 4 years.
    I/We use it sparingly (and with full authority I might add ), on a different class of Aircraft, as a switch or electrical contact cleaner. It usually works quite well.

Sid and Coke, Dec 2, 2004
  18. MartinC

Graham C

I believe Dr Malcom Hawksford tested Tweek [another similair brand] many years ago and found it did what it said on the tin ie same results as Tone has previously mentioned.

So who sells the cheapest/longest lasting of these contact improvers??

Graham C, Dec 2, 2004
Ask a Question