Super tweeter replacement.

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by merlin, Oct 9, 2004.

1. merlin

merlin

Dear all,

I need some advice on my new project. I now have my JBL 1500AL's, a pair of JBL 345be, crossover schematics, and the midrange horns will be with me in a couple of months (being made :( ).

Now a certain well known loudspeaker uses the same drivers but crosses over to the 045be supertweeter above 10khz. Sadly the 045be is out of the question (they cost £3K a pair!) so I need to either find an alternative or do without high treble.

The 345be does not start to break up until over 15khz if used full range. Any suggestions for fitting an alternative supertweeter to cover the upppermost octave?

Cheers

M

merlin, Oct 9, 2004
  2. merlin

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi Mike.

Nick at the emporium offered me the alternative of using a set of small mouthed horns as supertweeters.

I didnt bother because costs were spiralling.

Using small horns as supertweeters might be an interesting alternative if you are using horns for the midrange too. Try also looking at the user systems here http://website.lineone.net/~empson/History.html The people on that website use horns for the midrange in their DIY systems, and many have added supertweeters. The descriptions of their systems shows which supertweeters they are using.

Only commercial one Ive heard is the Towsend Ribbon supertweeter. I think its good, but wonder if using a ribbon supertweeter with mid-range horns is the best of matches. '' I dont know'' basically!

bottleneck, Oct 9, 2004
  3. merlin

merlin

Thanks Chris,

It seems the JBL 2405 slot tweeter may be up to the job, but will need some slugging in the crossover as it's 105db efficiency is a few db higher than the 045be. Am I right in thinking that the dispersion can be controlled by rotating the slot to match the midrange horn at the crossover point?

merlin, Oct 9, 2004
  4. merlin

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I was thinking of the JBL slot myself, and read all about it at the JBL website where the user manual is readable as an acrobat file.

What you say about dispersion makes sense, but I dont know the answer.

If you dont get the answer to the dispersion question here, there is a forum on that site where you can post questions to the users.

Sounds like a great project you are embarking on. Should sound great :)

bottleneck, Oct 9, 2004
  5. merlin

Chea Johndle Bizarre Serpent Foomaster

Merl..

Have you had a look at e-speakers.com.... maybe some interesting Ting's there..

Regards

Chea Johndle, Oct 9, 2004
  6. merlin

merlin

Thanks for that John, some very expensive thing there too!

Were you thinking of ribbons or the vry sensibly priced TAD varient?

merlin, Oct 16, 2004
  7. merlin

Chea Johndle Bizarre Serpent Foomaster

Merl...

The LCY Supatweeter..... seems like the 1... only $259 ea....Bargain....maybe..

Regards

Chea Johndle, Oct 16, 2004
  8. merlin

merlin

Could be interesting John. the only thing that concerns me is the efficiency which seems quite low. The bass unit is 94dbw, the horn of course somewhat higher. I was hoping to keep the system efficiency around 93-94.

merlin, Oct 17, 2004
  9. merlin

joel Shaman of Signals

Ahh, a supertweeter...

joel, Oct 17, 2004
  10. merlin

merlin

Please don't point me at that Be TAD Joel :)

One alternative is the drivers from the JBL S4800 which are available as spares. But I kind of have my eye on those TAD's - a like minded individual is working with the very same drivers in the States and says they cane the JBL compression units.

merlin, Oct 17, 2004
Ask a Question