System Upgrade Advice Required

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by DaveHiFi, Jul 19, 2006.

1. DaveHiFi

DaveHiFi Seeking Nirvana

Hi,
    My system currently consists of :
    LP12 Valhalla ps linn Basic Plus Arm and Goldring 1020 mm cart
    Pre amp LK1
    Power amp LK280 non spark
    Micromega Stage 6 cd
    Wharfdale Pacific PI-30 floorstanders

I have recently been considering the all in one units from Linn and Arcam but havent been able to find a dealer local that carries both of these so I can audition them against my pre, power and cd player.
    Having not heard / compared I am unsure if this path is at least an equal or an upgrade in quality. The magazines seem to sing their praises.
    Alternatively if someone can recommend a matched (audio wise) system im all ears.
    I have a medium 15ft square room, laminate floor not heavily furnished.I mainly like 70's rock and blues with a sprinkling of classical.
    Spend value of about 4 grand for amp, either pre power or integrated, CD player and speakers (i do prefer floorstanders). The turntable remains but would like a new arm.
    Thanks
    Dave

DaveHiFi, Jul 19, 2006
  2. DaveHiFi

A.N.

i'm using an lk1 with dirak, meridian 200t/203, lp12/valhalla/ittok/dl160, martin logan's bi-amped with 2xlk280's. if it where me and i was looking to upgrade from what you have, i'd look at a different arm for the lp12, and change the speakers.
    the 280's grip the logans superbly, (but i am biased!) audio physic 's are great speakers, open, detailed and have a fast, tight bass. the 280 would drive them no problem.
    also, (just my twopennysworth) my next cart will be either the sumiko bps, or the denon dl304, superb for the cash, so that would be my choice.
    as for cd players, i've heard the wadias are very favourable, and you can easily find one second hand within your budget, inc speakers.
    so my advice is this, new arm/cart, keep the pre/powers (great phono in the lk1) new speakers and cd. the lk1/280 combo is still a very good amp. i wouldnt change mine because to these ears, youneed to spend a hell of a lot of cash to gain a significant improvement.
    cheers, A.N.

A.N., Jul 19, 2006
  3. DaveHiFi

zanash

yes..... the arm looks the weak link.

Not heard the wharfdales, but I'm also an "i" user and would suggest electrostatics everytime over cones.

The power amp is ok [not my cup of tea] but you could pick up one of the newer chinese jobbies from consonance like cyber 300b [?] and a half decent pre. A lot depends on how much you like the remote.

What do you feel is the problem ...or do you just want a change?

zanash, Jul 20, 2006
  4. DaveHiFi

9designs Linn Nut

Bit confused you want a new all in one system or two update your entire current set up.

Might actually be cheaper to trade the LP12 in against another used item at a dealers..... As you really need the Cirkus mod, Lingo power supply, Ittok or Ekos arms, to bring the deck up to spec.
    Need to replace the LK1, I'd go for a late spec used Kairn (cir £4-500) with a slimline switch mode supply, better is an AV5103,(£6-700) but you would need a phono stage as it does not have one built in.

LK280 without a spark is lacking. Perhaps pick up a Klout. (£600-1000)... I went from a spark version to a Klout, much more musical, detailed and open.

CD... keeping Linn an Ikemi could be had for a good price...

Speakers, what ever is voiced to your taste....

Or you want new, try a demo of the new Majik CDP and Pre-amp, or a Unidisk SC, gives you player and pre in one box.... way better than a Classik or Solo

9designs, Jul 20, 2006
  5. DaveHiFi

chezi

Look for a good 2nd hand Ittok , if the spindle bearing is OK , I wouldn't bother with Cirkus "upgrade" :rolleyes: , and forget the Lingo psu and get one of these
    http://www.turntable-power-supply.com/index.htm
    and an achromat or a silicone mat from SRM Tech.

chezi

chezi, Jul 20, 2006
  6. DaveHiFi

9designs Linn Nut

Errr why the :rolleyes: .... probably one of the single most important updates to an LP12, at half the cost of a Lingo a bargain !!!

Not convinced the OL is a better PSU than the latest Lingo, read mixed reactions.....

9designs, Jul 20, 2006
  7. DaveHiFi

kenneth cooke

I cannot understand your thinking or, as my mum used to say, is your money burning a hole in your pocket? Back in the 70's one was always advised to go the seperates route, that advise still rings true unless I am missing something

kenneth cooke, Jul 20, 2006
  8. DaveHiFi

A.N.

agree with chezi, don't bother with the circus, and the origin live psu is a great upgrade, better than the lingo.

:)

A.N., Jul 21, 2006
  9. DaveHiFi

9designs Linn Nut

Someone like to justify not having a Cirkus update ! Have you actualy heard what it does ????

9designs, Jul 21, 2006
  10. DaveHiFi

A.N.

yes i have heard what is does and for me, it doesnt do a lot..
    :D
    the lk1 might be old, but it has a superb phono stage, i dont think the kairn is significantly better, but its drastically in a different league to a AV5103, and imo a sparked lk280 destroys a klout

A.N., Jul 21, 2006
  11. DaveHiFi

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

First thing I'd do is cover that laminate floor with carpet.
    If the mrs won't allow, ''treat'' her to a really big rug of her choice, and put some underlay underneath.

For 70's rock, a big generous sound is what you want - large paper cone for a woofer for a start. A big-hearted amp would help too.

I don't think you need to spend 4k.

Some Tannoy 15", JBL, Altec, or other speaker with a minimum 10" paper cone woofer, and for an amp, I'd humbly suggest a valve amp.

Im suggesting the type of sound I like, but can't think why I would reccomend something I don't like :D

I'd try and chop in the micromega, cartridge and phono stage too.

Maybe you will need that 4k after all...

bottleneck, Jul 21, 2006
  12. DaveHiFi

9designs Linn Nut

:eek: Oh sorry didn't realise this was a wind up at first !!

Let me guess an Ittok is better than a Ekos??? and a Troika is better than an Akiva, .... what else .... karik is better than a Unidisk??? ... are we beginning to see a pattern form !!

9designs, Jul 21, 2006
  13. DaveHiFi

DaveHiFi Seeking Nirvana

Thank you all for your replies. I will take the points raised in chronological order.
    A.N. Having thought long and hard maybe this is the way 'up' by buying an Ittok. Is all the hype regarding the OL sorted rega arm being as good as an Ittok or is it simply, hype.
    Zanash. I feel the system is a little lifeless at times. Having the goldring in this system may be, as nice as this cartridge is, too relaxed a sound. I do have a boxed up an AT05c moving coil with little use and I may give that a try. Also the LP12 was resprung by myself :confused: and just maybe I havent set it back up quite right. Strong possibility.
    9 Designs. The Lingo power supply is a good choice for an LP12 I assume, but it goads me to think of paying a princely sum just for the power supply. Ive seen inside one and also heard one and to me its well overpriced based on the good reviews coming in on the OL equivalent, buy hey I havent heard an OL yet. As others here have said I do like the phono stage on my LK1. Would like to listen to the new Majik I will see if local Linn dealers have it in yet.
    Chezi. In light of my right or wrong opinion on the price per performance of the Lingo I like the power supply link and will look a little more into this.
    Kenneth Cooke Yes Kenneth I believe I will stay with seperates as nobody here has said 'yes' I changed a setup like yours for a one box affair.
    Bottleneck All the gear is on Target all tables and I can see a carpet coming to a floor near me soon. Hate carpet burns on the knees. :eek:

Too All :

I will formulate an upgrade path on my seperates system forgetting a one box unit. I am interested to see if I could purchase another LK280 to Bi-Amp or maybe sell mine and buy 2 x lK280 's with spark units.
    The arm I am now conviced is weak and will look into this area. The power supply is also on the chopping block and will investigate the link kindly provided by Chezi.
    On a side note the achromat sounds as though it should improve quality. Also theres a small business on Ebay selling upgrade kit for the LP12 at 200 quid (basically anti vibration stuff) Has anyone any experience of these.
    The CD player namely micromega stage 6 I listen through headphones beacause when run through the LK1 / LK280 im getting distortion. Now I know it isnt the LK1 or the micromega as I have hooked up another micromega, a stage 2, and that also produces a distorted sound. I have also put a Marantz cd player into the linn gear and guess what no distortion. So to rule out the Micromega's I tried them in a friends system through a John Shearn amp and 'no' distortion.:confused: I have tried attenuators but to no avail. Im at a total loss : need help or suggestions.
    Finally the speakers can stay for now I think after your advice Im going to work from the turntable out.
    Thanks to all once again
    Best Regards
    Dave

DaveHiFi, Jul 22, 2006
  14. DaveHiFi

A.N.

lol, not a wind up, and no, ekos significantly better. its just in my oppinion, we all have different ears et al.....

but to these ears, i've heard a circused lp12 with ekos, troika and lingo, and an origin live powered non circused lp12 with basic and dl304 and it bettered it. one mans meat....

one thing i dont really like is linns later stuff, to me, its lost its soul, but again, imo only, bit like naims new stuff, not as good as the old olive to these ears.......:D :D :D

A.N., Jul 22, 2006
  15. DaveHiFi

9designs Linn Nut

There are way too many variables between the two set-ups to attribute a preference due to the lack of Cirkus mod

9designs, Jul 22, 2006
  16. DaveHiFi

A.N.

i must have very sensitive ears then.......:D ;) :D :techno: :band: :mana:

A.N., Jul 23, 2006
  17. DaveHiFi

kt66

kt66, Jul 24, 2006
  18. DaveHiFi

kt66

kt66, Jul 24, 2006
  19. DaveHiFi

DaveHiFi Seeking Nirvana

Thanks

Thank you to all contributions made, I have found your advice most helpful. I have decided that the first thing to do is replace my tonearm with an Ittok, can anyone tell me what to look out for ie. which model.
    The next step is to have the arm mounted and a service on the LP12. Following that I will upgrade the pre-amp to the Kairn. At this point I will take stock and decide about the CD player and speakers. I may plump for the Linn Keilidh as I have heard a short burst of these in a hi-fi shop in Leeds and they sounded quite impressive for the money.
    Regarding the CD player, the micromega stage 6. I do like the sound but may look into a re-clock, anyway thats in the near future after the turntable upgrade.
    Once again thank you for all your input and if anyone does have Ittok advice please feel free to comment
    Regards
    DAVE

DaveHiFi, Jul 30, 2006
  20. DaveHiFi

9designs Linn Nut

Look for a late spec Ittok, LVIII, and from a known source, so you can find out it's history, only needs someone to have tightened or loosened the cartridge bolts while it's still on the deck to have wrecked the bearings.
    Rumour has it a new spec Ekos may arrive to celebrate 33.3 years of the LP12, so could be some good Ekos going for sale.

Again a late spec Kairn, must have switch mode supply, preferable the later slim line version, the main board is also better with surface mount components, early ones are hole through I believe.,..... But don't pay to much, as an AV5103 is way better and often sells for the same money. ( but you need an external phono stage)

I wouldn't bother with keilidh, were ok at the time, but so many better speakers around, even active they are ok, early ones with the ceramic tweeter are awful, Ninka tweeter upgrade is £80. If you stay Linn, Kabers go for a bargain price. Or the Ninka would be good.

PS
    BUT get a Cirkus update ASAP !!!!

9designs, Jul 30, 2006
Ask a Question