Taking high fidelity for granted & moving goal posts ramble...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by KUB3, Aug 3, 2006.

1. KUB3

KUB3 ciao

When I first moved from a clock radio at 16 to a pair of cerwin vega's and yamaha gear, I was on cloud nine. It was unbelievable. Two years later I realised my system wasn't even a blip on the road to proper hifi.

Then I heard a full cyrus system with dynaudio's and had to move on. That was a major step up, so once again I felt great. For about six months. What once amazed soon became normal everyday sounds. The goal posts of expectation moved again.

Over the next few years I kept upgrading in huge leaps forward though another 3 setup's, various kit, sillier prices, passive to active etc. Now my kit is at a level I couldn't have imagined back when I was a teenager, but now I'm used to it after six months, I take it for granted. Sure, there's a long way to go towards a perfect rig, but this is really good right now. Except I don't appreciate it as much as I should and it seems normal now. The wow factor has faded and I just enjoy my tunes in a relaxed normal manner. It just sounds totally everyday normal.

This pattern must be never ending. I guess those with hyper priced gear are just a bit further along the line, in terms of time, seeking out that next wow upgrade fix. I don't want to get trapped into the thought of continual upgrades, so I don't think about it. It's just a funny situation on reflection. Will it end with me just taking it for granted, or will I have to build a concrete horn under my house first? :D

Mind you, I heard my Mum's old Arcam and Revel system the other day, for the first time in many years. I recall it sounded great when new. Now it sounds about as clear as an announcement on the underground. The system hasn't changed, only my personal goal posts. I think our brains must retune all the time, somehow changing our expectations. If your getting into the upgrade-itis too much I'd reccommend listening to something dire for a week. Your system will never have sounded so good afterwards. And it'll be free!

Just building up music and ignoring the kit. For now. Yeah right...

KUB3, Aug 3, 2006
  2. KUB3

Tenson Moderator

I found the AML1's kept amazing me every time I put them on. The sound they make for the size they are is stupid! I only changed for interest’s sake, not because I felt they were not performing and making the music amazingly enjoyable. I think once the system gets to a level that is 'good enough' (a pretty damn high level needed for that!) the rest is intellectual interest for me.

Tenson, Aug 3, 2006
  3. KUB3

KUB3 ciao

Oh they do make me smile, don't get me wrong. It's just suprising to me how quickly I get used to the new level of playback, then take it for granted. I expect to be pleased by the sound, as I know they will perform well, and so I am not amazed at all, so taking them for granted. I now notice systems that sound poor, rather than being amazed at what sounds great. If that makes sense?!

KUB3, Aug 3, 2006
  4. KUB3

zanash

You don't say that you actually enjoy listening to music ?

May be the fun and enjoyment have been leached away as you headed down the upgrade route ?

zanash, Aug 4, 2006
  5. KUB3

KUB3 ciao

I still love music of course! I only really soak up the tunes, rather than sit there thinking wow this sounds like amazing hifi - if you see. Perhaps that's the point!

KUB3, Aug 4, 2006
  6. KUB3

mr cat Member of the month

try binatone - you'll appreciate the music then...

mr cat, Aug 4, 2006
  7. KUB3

la toilette Downright stupid

I know what you mean, the first handful of upgrades are really eye (or ear) opening, but once you get to a certain level of quality it's hard to reproduce the revelatory experience of previous upgrades, whilst all the time you're yearning for just such a leap or improvement again! It's really easy to get used to listening to a nice system, and to forget how crap things can be.

I've moved sideways in my last half dozen or so component changes, to satisfy my desire for change and curiosity whilst not actually spending much (or any) money. The law of diminishing returns has kicked in and I feel as though maybe I've reached a point whereby I might keep the backbone of my system as it is for the foreseeable future (although I've said that before :D ).

la toilette, Aug 4, 2006
Ask a Question