Talon Khorus

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by HenryT, Jan 19, 2004.

1. HenryT

HenryT

Anybody know anything about these speakers?

Just been chating to a guy on the phone who'd be interested in doing a direct swap with me, his Talon Audio Khorus (MK II) for my Verity Audio Parsifal Encores.

I've never come across the company (Talon Audio) before, but I'll start doing some research in a moment to see what I can glean. I'm sure someone like Merlin probably knows a thing or two! ;)

http://www.talonaudio.com/V3.2/products.html

Am I being distracted here, or should I stay on course for the Quad ESL-989's like I was going to? :)

HenryT, Jan 19, 2004
  2. HenryT

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

H' hang on til Merlin gives you the low down, you know the quads are good for you, unless Sir magic maker of the round table can conjour a tale or 2 to say other wise, chill relax and think 44.1<>DSD you know you want to :)

wadia-miester, Jan 19, 2004
  3. HenryT

merlin

No!

Heard of them, but never heard them so I'm unqualified to make any comments.

Henry. Get the Quads:rolleyes:

As we both know, it doesn't matter how good some Yank speakers are. If the massed British Ignorentia haven't read a review in HiFi Prat they aren't even going to try them out:mad:

merlin, Jan 19, 2004
  4. HenryT

HenryT

Merl - Fair enough... :) I really want to claw some cash back at the moment anyway, not that I would be spending anymore even if I did the swap... But hey, no cone speaker is ever going to be able to beat an ESL at its own game so on that premise... :MILD:

Actually I'm guessing that this guy with the Talons doesn't necessarily base his purchasing decisions too closely on what's said in the British hi-fi press. After all, he knows his Verities ;), and he's also got an ESL Labs amp and Audio Aero Capitol CDP.

BTW Tone - yep this is the same guy I told you about that was interested in part-exing my Accuphase for his Audio Aero. Oh, but he prefers ESL Labs to Bel Canto (he auditioned an eVo 4 before buying his amp). So what's your impression of him/his tastes in "hi-fi" now then? ;)

HenryT, Jan 19, 2004
  5. HenryT

The Devil IHTFP

I've heard a pair and they sounded Krap with a Kapital C. But the system was badly set-up. Poor chap spent thousands on them, but didn't have any Mana - can you believe the elementary error?

The Devil, Jan 19, 2004
  6. HenryT

HenryT

Haha!

:D

Seriously Bub, have you really heard a pair? What other kit did the guy have?

HenryT, Jan 19, 2004
  7. HenryT

The Devil IHTFP

Yep.

LP12, Ekos, Van den hul Grasshopper

Krell preamp

"Dreadnought" power amp

Talon Khorus wanky pyramid speakers

No Mana, no bass, no tunes. One of the worst systems I've ever heard, believe it or not!

YMMV.

The Devil, Jan 19, 2004
  8. HenryT

HenryT

Blimey! :)

You'd not normally credit any of the above, well an LP12 or the big Theta amps at least with not having any bass (or tune playing ability).

Must have had a really bad room then, either that or not enough voodoo/foo-foo-dust products as you pointed out. ;)

HenryT, Jan 19, 2004
  9. HenryT

greg Its a G thing

I'm not really one for taking mags too seriously and I havent heard them myself, but I first read mention of these in a review about the Bel Canto 200.2. The phrase that jumped out at me was...

"In my opinion, the Bel Canto EVo amplifier is to other amplifiers what the Talon Khorus is to other loudspeakers"
    Clement Perry (Stereotimes)
    http://www.stereotimes.com/amp102300.shtm

Direct article re: Khorus
    http://www.stereotimes.com/speak020501.shtm

greg, Jan 19, 2004
  10. HenryT

Henry, to be be honest, the AA is a fine cdp if a little limp in more than a few areas that appeal to a few of us, and it doesn't surprise me he finds the es lab a better match, reminds me of an old coverdale song, 'Slow and easy', with a juditious serving of molasses on rye, maybe throw in a levinson pre amp, and life would be complete, Nora jones here we come, at impulse power captain :( Niceeeeeee catssss. pass the barff bucket James :D

wadia-miester, Jan 19, 2004
  11. HenryT

HenryT

Greg - That's a really intriguing quote, I'll just have to read the complete review to find out the context... :)

Tone - I've read most of AA reviews I could find on the net and it was obvious what this player does well, although it worried me about what was not/never mentioned. I don't think I'd be willing to gamble on it though without the gurantee of an easy re-sell. The guy also told me that he auditioned a Gamut D200, but dismissed it for sounding "too fast" and "lacking soul". :ffrc:

HenryT, Jan 20, 2004
  12. HenryT

Ok, that's a confirmation he's a serial kit changer & doesn't know what he's looking for :rolleyes: Unlike a few of us polarised chaps who Just want more :D
    Humm, me thinks Doctor T, proscribes a Trivista sacd player, some B+W 801's and some Big levvy mono's he'll be in heaven, til Mr hifi brings out some thing 'ultra 1110% A+++ that and a bit more air/space and bigger more flabby room filling bass :(
    Explains the ex labs thing, just humour the guy, explain that you appreciate the finer points of hifi, but would like a 'pulse' with your music :D

wadia-miester, Jan 20, 2004
Ask a Question