Tannoy r2 size reduction

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by cat, Aug 8, 2004.

1. cat

cat

hi,
    this may sound stupid but i wish to `cut down` (in hight) a pair of Tannoy r2`s,
    they are miles too big for a second system i have in a bedroom, they used to be my main speakers but have since been replaced and i thought it may be possible for me to literaly remove the drivers and reduce the size of them to around 12 to 16 inches by taking them apart, reducing the hight, and rebuilding them, they`ve had a few surface knocks over the years so i wouldn`t mind refinishing them while they`re under re-construction.
    i know some members on here have built their own speakers so i`d be grateful of anyone`s thoughts and guidance as to how to tackle the job and what the outcome will be in terms of performance etc,

thanks in advance

cat, Aug 8, 2004
  2. cat

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Changing the cabinet volume will change the sound of course...

Maybe you could sell the Tannoys and just buy some smaller speakers with the money?

MartinC, Aug 8, 2004
  3. cat

hifikrazy

As Martin correctly says, it will change the sound. However having said that, it is possible. Depends on what you want to achieve. The crossover is the same as for the smaller r1: 2.5khz. You could cut it down to be able to use all 3 drivers still, but use a sealed box and upgrade the components on the crossover for better performance. That would be fairly simple and should give reasonable results. I guess it depends on your aims and what you feel able to do. Alternatively as Martin said -sell em and buy some smaller ones!

hifikrazy, Aug 8, 2004
Ask a Question