Teac VRDS query

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Goomer, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Goomer

Goomer

Hi there

I'm just seeking the advice and expertise of all those who have used these players. I'm thinking of buying one s/hand(a VRDS7) and just wondered about any reliability issues they may have, and how readily available spares are should it go belly up.

Also, any ideas what a fair price is for one would be?

thanks in advance, and happy Friday,

Chris.

Edited to highlight the particularly poor sentence construction.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2004
    Goomer, Jun 11, 2004
  2. Goomer

DavidY80 Long Member

FWIW

I got given a VRDS-10 a little while ago. Every so often it decides it doesn't want to spin up - no particular logic to it, other than the fact that it happens when you most want to listen!

My bother-in-law also has a VRDS-10. His exhibits the same problem and also occasionaly won't release it's clamp on the disc. He's just replaced it with a CDX.

DavidY80, Jun 11, 2004
  3. Goomer

joel Shaman of Signals

No idea what a fair price would be, probably no more than a couple of hundred max.
    All old CDPs tend to get "difficukt" and the VRDS system is no exception. YOu get what you pay for...
    My nearly two-year-old VRDS50 works perfectly and sounds great.

joel, Jun 11, 2004
  4. Goomer

michaelab desafinado

My 9 year old VRDS-T1 transport works very well, no probs at all.

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 11, 2004
  5. Goomer

Goomer

Thank you, david, joel and michael, for those replies.

I've been doing some more reading (in zerogain archives) and noticed, Michael, that you've "had the top off" (;) ) the Teac on a couple of occasions - was whatever needed doing easy to do? Were any parts required or was it more routine (cleaning/lubrication) stuff that had to be done?

Thanks again,

Chris.

Goomer, Jun 11, 2004
  6. Goomer

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Groomer,

I've had a few VRDS mech's pass through my hands, as well as owning a couple, I've never had a problem with any, other than slow reading on a couple, none have ever failed to play
    The P0 mech is (quote in the style michealab here) simply the best CDP platter/mechanism there is short of a custom made swiss jobbie. The mech weighs 22 pounds, the bridge is solid ally and the platter is serious :D

wadia-miester, Jun 11, 2004
  7. Goomer

dex

Hello Goomer,
    My Teac VRDS T1 recently developed skipping problems on the first few tracks of most CDs. It went in for repair for a new laser (cost £108) inc labour. I got it back from repair and it was just as bad as ever, so it obviously wasn't the laser that was at fault.

So its back in for repair at the moment, although it's been away four weeks now and I don't really think the engineer really knows what's wrong with it. They did say it seems to be very selective about which CDs it will play properly, some are fine others are all over the shop.

Mine was around 6-7 years old by the way.

I think I've been a bit unlucky with mine.

dex, Jun 11, 2004
  8. Goomer

michaelab desafinado

Goomer - the top has been off my T1, but I left all the work to my trusty mechanic under the railway arches, aka wadia-miester :D

It's had a Trichord Clock4 and Never Connected PSU (for the clock), and IEC socket to replace the captive mains lead, some of WM's "foo-foo" dust cabling I believe ;) , and a liberal application of dynamat damping. He also cleaned everything out, re-oiled and re-greased the transport and laser sled rails etc. The full Teac "Max Power" treatment :D

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 11, 2004
  9. Goomer

Mr_Sukebe

I've had two VRDS-7s.
    The first was broken when I first got it. Took 4 months to discover that the parts required were not available. They were manufactured by a korean group and clearly Teac were unwilling to order just one for me.

The second started to play up also before it left my hands.

So overall, not a good experience.

Mr_Sukebe, Jun 11, 2004
  10. Goomer

joel Shaman of Signals

THe VRDS7 is very old by CDP standards. THis means that mechanical parts are likely to play up and that parts are quite likely unavailable. Caveat Emptor, I'm afraid. A VRDS25, for instance, would probably be a hassle-free experience - even if something broke.

joel, Jun 11, 2004
  11. Goomer

timpy Snake Oil free!!!

No problems at all with mine, it's a similarly modded VRDS-T1 a'la Michaelab. In fact mine was the initial guinea pig.

Cheers

timpy, Jun 12, 2004
  12. Goomer

Goomer

Thanks, all, for those replies and apologies for not saying so earlier(I don't have a PC at home so no weekend posts). I may still - despite the wise words warning about age - speculate on a vrds7 as the one I've seen is pretty cheap and comes from a dealer with limited warranty. I'll be cautious, though, for sure.

Thanks again to all of you for your opinions - your shared knowledge is, as ever, much appreciated.

Chris.

Goomer, Jun 14, 2004
  13. Goomer

Goomer

Goomer, Jun 18, 2004
  14. Goomer

joel Shaman of Signals

ebattyness, I'm afraid. Avoid.

joel, Jun 18, 2004
  15. Goomer

Goomer

Thought so - it's especially nutty, though, as there is another guy selling VRDS7's with a buy it now option of £150.00, although the buy it now has disappeared cos the opening bid was placed.

I decided against one in the end, at least for the time being, as I have changed plans at home and have kept my current dvd player as a transport in the stereo system downstairs, and bought one of those cheapy Tosh 330's from Richers to use in the movie system upstairs. Does the business well, too, so £60.00 does seem like a steal.

Thanks again, joel, for your advice,

Chris.

Goomer, Jun 18, 2004
  16. Goomer

michaelab desafinado

It is genuinely from Richer Sounds (I checked up when they first started to use eBay) but £410 for a VRDS-7 :eek: . Someone didn't do their homework :cry:

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 18, 2004
  17. Goomer

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

I've just read through this thread, about the availablity or the Teac spares, these guys have just about every thing you'll need to fix your teac (except hammer removal damage!) UK based too, more than Teac UK I feel :D

Teac spares a plenty here

wadia-miester, Jun 26, 2004
Ask a Question