Teac X-01 and UX-1

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by michaelab, Nov 9, 2003.

1. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Mentioned the UX-1 before but here are the details from the Teac site (in Japanese :) ). The X-01 is an SACD/CD audio only player using a VRDS transport and the UX-1 is their new universal player and the first one to use a VRDS transport (the DV-50 and DV-30 don't).

At 1.25million Yen each though (about £6.8K) they're not cheap. And that's the price in Japan. Once the UK importers have added their Ferrari deposit :bub: it will be more like £10K.

[Edited to add the link I forgot:
    http://www.teac.co.jp/av/esoteric/x01_ux1.html ]

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 9, 2003
  2. michaelab

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

TEAC seem to have taken the VRDS to the ludicrous money now, as the only current normal CD VRDS is the P70, which is around £7k.

Bit of a shame really....

I-S, Nov 9, 2003
  3. michaelab

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Isaac the P70 is a Transport and is available for a fair bit less than £7K, to my knowledge all the demo stock, remains er... still demo stock, it costs to make, including the SE transport a mere £1.4K, still any ferrari owner worth his salt, would have 2, so whats all the fuss about :confused: Wm

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2003
    wadia-miester, Nov 9, 2003
  4. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

michaelab, Nov 9, 2003
  5. michaelab

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Interestingly, it doesn't look like the same Mech, thats in the P70.

wadia-miester, Nov 9, 2003
  6. michaelab

merlin

Doesn't have AES/EBU either:(

But DVI, Firewire and Clock link is nice. Still gonna be a compromise though. It'll be interesting to see the new Wadia 900 player come CES in January. Sadly I suspect it's gonna be at least $12K:rolleyes:

merlin, Nov 9, 2003
  7. michaelab

Donut

Isaac - is the VRDS 25x no longer available. I use this and only bought it about a year ago when I thought it had been introduced? The rrp was £1000 then.
    Donut

Donut, Nov 10, 2003
  8. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Teac "Esoteric" products have always had rather patchy availability in the UK. It wasn't until the P70/D70 combo was released that the Teac UK website even mentioned anything other than their line of mid-fi systems. Even now you have to look hard to find the P70/D70 mentioned.

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 10, 2003
  9. michaelab

joel Shaman of Signals

Oh well... FYI etc etc...
    I actually popped in for a look around the Tokyo Audio Show a few weeks ago and got to see (and hear - kinda sorta) the new Teac / Esoteric models.
    The prices quoted on the Teac site are MRRPs and are a *lot* higher than the street prices.
    Teac still make the VRDS25 (and the VRDS50 - which is what I have), but these are now called the Esoteric X25 and X30 (or something similar).
    There is a new Teac, the VRDS15, on sale now (over here :D) for the equivalent of about 550squid. Construction is not to the same battleship level as the other models (but, then again, neither are the "export" variants you get in Europe and the US).
    This was my first audio show. It will also be my last. A terrifyingly boring and depressing affair all round.

joel, Nov 11, 2003
Ask a Question