Technics 1210 crackle

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Emmodd, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Emmodd

Emmodd

Recently purchased the above and generally very pleased however, i've noticed a crackle coming from the left channel. I thoughts this was static or something at first but am convinced it's now something else. Any tips on trying to identify and diagnose the problem would be appreciated.

Emmodd, Aug 4, 2007
  2. Emmodd

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Trying to work out where in the system it is would be a good start. Swap the inputs at the amp - does the crackle swap sides or not. If not the problem is downstream if it does swap its upstream. If its upstream and you are using a phono preamp do it at the phono preamp inputs. Again if it swaps its upstream ie. related to the arm wiring or the cart. Finally if its still upstream swap the cartridge tags over so that right is left and left is right, if its stays the same its the arm wiring, else its related to the cart ... which for crackling is unlikely in itself BUT all that plugging and unplugging may solve the issue anyway if as it often is, its a bad connection somewhere.

Uncle Ants, Aug 5, 2007
  3. Emmodd

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

There is a good chance that it is either a poor connection between the cartrige and the headshell tags, or it is a cable break at the point that the arm cable enters the phono connectors (this is very common).

YNMOAN, Aug 5, 2007
  4. Emmodd

Emmodd

Thanks gents. Will give a go.

Emmodd, Aug 5, 2007
  5. Emmodd

Andy registered grazer

If you have a removable stylus on your cartridge, try taking it off and replacing it. May do the trick.

Andy, Aug 6, 2007
  6. Emmodd

ListeningEar

I have owned numerous sets of these over the years and still have a pair up in the loft. The leads on these are notoriously of bad quality. It's worth at least changing the phono connectors on the fixed cables if you can as a start.

Better still, do what Technics should have done from the start (like Vestax have been doing for several years now), and modify the deck to have fixed phono sockets so you can try different interconnect cables between the deck and your amp.

Have you also seen the Rega modification for the 1210? You can change the s-type arm for a Rega after swapping out the tonearm base plate.

I have never performed the Rega upgrade as the 1210 for me has only ever sat in a DJ type setup and I would rather spend on the cash on my other dedicated listening turntables.

ListeningEar, Aug 6, 2007
Ask a Question