Technics 1210

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Emmodd, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Emmodd

Emmodd

Well, taken the plunge and bought the above along with the Denon dl-110 and 5mm achromat. Struggling to get my head round how to set up the arm though. Any pointers or recommendations on reading up?

Emmodd, Jul 20, 2007
  2. Emmodd

Jampot

Jampot, Jul 20, 2007
  3. Emmodd

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

What element of arm setup are you struggling with? I assume you have rec'd the counterweight and stub so that you can set the tracking weight.

YNMOAN, Jul 20, 2007
  4. Emmodd

Emmodd

I'm going to set the cartridge up using the 2 point protractor however, i'm unsure whether I do this before or after setting up the arm height etc. Also, i'm unsure about setting the arm height/balance with the weight. Should the arm be level when the cartridge is on the record, how should I set the weight with this cartridge? Presumably it should be set so that there is only a certain amount of pressure being placed be the needle on the record? (i have a gauge to measure this) What are the ideal starting settings for my set-up?

I apologise for being totally clueless with regards to setting up the t/table however, i come from a put the cd in and press play background.

Thanks in advance though - much appreciated.

Emmodd, Jul 20, 2007
  5. Emmodd

Emmodd

Managed to get hold of the user manual and that link was very useful. Will have a bash at it now!

Emmodd, Jul 20, 2007
  6. Emmodd

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

Right, this is what to do.

1/ fit the cartridge to the headshell and attach the four wires. Set the screws finger tight for the moment and position it approximately half way along the slotted mounting holes in the headshell. Don't worry about the exact alignment yet we will come back to that.

2/ With the bias set to zero turn the rear balance weight (the one you had to buy extra) on the rear stub until the arm balances level. I haven't seen a 1200/1210 up close for many years but I suspect what I say next is true for one. On the counterweight there is probably a black disk with increments marked on it and a line marked on the counterweight stub. Turn the disc (not the weight) so that the 0 on the disk lines up with the line on the stub, then turn the whole weight (the disk should also move) until 1.8 grams shows (this is the tracking weight and the weight should have moved towards the arm bearings.

3/ Now turn the Bias control until it also shows 1.8.

4/ Place the stylus on a record (on the platter obviously) and adjust the height of the arm until the arm tube is parallel to the surface of the record when the stylus is resting on the record.

5/ Now to adjust the cartridge alignment. Use your 2 point protractor. The cartridge should be moved backward and forward in the headshell until the cartridge body appears to be square to the lines on the protractor when the stylus is on each of the two point (obviously you will have to move the protractor to allow the stylus to rest on the two points but the hole in it should always be over the centre spindle). The cartridge should be square in the headshell - not twisted.

6/ If you have moved the cartridge you will have changed the tracking weight so will have to re-balance the arm and then re-set the tracking weight (i.e. re-do steps 2 and 3).

YNMOAN, Jul 20, 2007
  7. Emmodd

Emmodd

Fantastic. Thank you.

Emmodd, Jul 20, 2007
  8. Emmodd

peez

whats the system you are using the sl with?
    i currently use one with an origin live arm board, rega rb250, sumiko blue point 2 and an achromat, hooked into a graham slee gram amp 2 ,

be interested to know what you think with the standard arm, i never actually listened to my old standard arm

peez, Jul 20, 2007
  9. Emmodd

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Just a couple of points for accuracy. Strictly speaking you need to try and get the cantilever itself aligned with the lines on the grid. Though the sides of the cart should be parallel anyway, sometimes the cantilever isn't absolutely straight, if the cantilever is a tad out go with aligning that rtaher than the cartridge sides. Also the cartridge may or may not align in the headshell ... it actually depends whether the arm was designed with the same alignment as the protractor you are using. There are at least three commonly used alignments, each designed tominimise tracking error differently. I don't know which alignment Technics designed the arm to align with.

Uncle Ants, Jul 20, 2007
  10. Emmodd

Emmodd

My system will be a cambridge 640p phono, Dussun V6i fed into Epos M5 spakers. Absolutely no idea how it will sound but looking forward to finding out.

Incidedently, I got the protractor from vinyle engine so am quite happy it is correct. Thanks for the tips anyway guys.

Emmodd, Jul 21, 2007
  11. Emmodd

scott_01

I've just got the Dussun 3i phono stage, excellent piece of kit, really low noise-floor, better all round than the Trichord Dino, not sure I'd pay the 'Red Rose' price of 1200.00 though.

Vinyl Engine is a very good site, loads of info on there. I have used a couple of their protractors and they are accurate but it does take some (practical) cutting and pasting to get the distances right as they aren't to scale. If you are really struggling or are into vinyl for the long haul try the clear audio protractor.

scott_01, Jul 21, 2007
  12. Emmodd

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

I'm aware of these points but chose to give a slightly pared down version for increased clarity.

Although it is a nice idea that you can align the very short cantilever, it is, in fact, extremely difficult to do with any certainty. If the cantilever looks obviously misaligned I would suggest that the cartridge is knackered. If we are being pedantic perhaps it is worth pointing out that it is the stylus, not the cantilever, that we are trying to align - but then it's even more difficult to see if that is attached truly square to the cantilever.

YNMOAN, Jul 21, 2007
  13. Emmodd

Emmodd

Up and running. Sme minor tweaks to do to make sure it plays perfectly but pleased with efforts so far. Thanks for all your help guys. Now, where to buy some more used records...???:confused:

Emmodd, Jul 21, 2007
  14. Emmodd

peez

knosti disco anti stat record washer to start , £45 , then charity shops can be ok but only if you are patient, you will notice the charity shop top ten has james last, perry como , the platters etc etc

ebay is the obvious choice for anything specific, but don't pay too much, soho is packed with record shops , 'sister ray" can be okay, new and s/h and not too overpriced, with some rare stuff too

peez, Jul 21, 2007
  15. Emmodd

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Undoubtedly yes I was being a bit pedantic :) ... it depends how long the cantilever is to some extent and how good your eyes. Easy and accurate with a nice long exposed cantilever like on a Clearaudio, not so easy with one of these teeny short ones like a dynavector. Pretty much your only choice of you have a naked cart.

Emmodd, the protractors on VE are good. Its not really a case of their being incorrect. They are all "correct", but different alignments set out to deal with the problem of tracking error slightly differently and will result in a slightly different alignment.

If you use a protractor for one alignment and it appears that the cartridge is set a tiny amount "crooked" in the headshell it may not mean its misaligned, just that the alignment you have chosen is a different one the arm designer chose when they set the offset angle of the headshell.

The headshell is offset by a specific angle which will result in the cart being dead straight in the headshell for one of the alignments (whichever the arm designer decided to use when deciding how much to offset the headshell). If you have picked the same alignment then it will be dead straight in the headshell, if not, it may be a bit crooked ... but it is still properly aligned.

The three commonly used alignments are the Baerwald, Loefgren and Stevenson alignments (named after their inventors I presume). The Baerwald gives an alignment where distortion is equal at the beginning of the record, between the null points and at the end of the record, the Loegren produces the lowest average distortion across the record and the Stevenson minimizes tracking error at the end of the record, which is where you are most likely to hear tracking distortion.

They are all "correct", but different folks (including arm designers presumably) have different reasons for choosing one over another.

Uncle Ants, Jul 23, 2007
  16. Emmodd

Wickfut

if you have an SL1200 , just buy an ortofon concord headshell and worry not about alignment

Wickfut, Jul 23, 2007
  17. Emmodd

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

Fair points :)

YNMOAN, Jul 23, 2007
Ask a Question