Temperature for soldering with silver solder..

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Will, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Will

Will The Lucky One

Got myself a new temperature controlled soldering iron, some silver solder (from The Missing Link), some cable and some plugs, and am eager to get cracking. But I'm not sure what temperature range to set the iron too!

Any suggestions? I realise experimentation is the key, but its not like I have a surplus of silver solder or cable, so a ballpark figure would be nice. Have heard 250 degrees as a rough guide thus far, but eager to hear from other more experienced DIYers!

:)

Will, Dec 13, 2007
  2. Will

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Silver solder typically melts at 210-230 degrees centigrade. That means you need to get the joint - ie the wire and the plug - to that temperature. To do so from the limited thermal mass and power of the soldering iron, you will need it set to 380-400 degrees. For leaded solder you can go down to about 345-350. Do not leave the iron switched on for long periods as you will burn the tinning off the tip - clean burned flux off the tip thoroughly... it should always be clean and bright. To keep it in good condition you will need to use a wet sponge regularly, a brass shaving tip cleaner (looks like a gold brillo pad) and a pot of tip tinner/cleaner occasionally.

I-S, Dec 14, 2007
  3. Will

zanash

its very difficult to rework silver solder so make certain the joint is correct the first time. I think its eutectic point changes after its melted for the first time... the other points are well said to.

zanash, Dec 16, 2007
Ask a Question