Test track for speaker cables

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ditton, Mar 10, 2005.

1. ditton

ditton happy old soul

I've just had opportunity to test some 'Solid Pure Silver with Teflon' speaker cables [forget name, will give that later] against the Nordost Flatline Bi-wire cables I have running into the JMLab Electra 905 standmounts.

Having tried lots of favourite tracks and a few forgotten tracks it was hard to be clear about the difference. Then I tried a Dick Gaughan track, "Now Westlin' Winds", and it was plain as your face - with the solid silver jobbies I could understand what he was singing. A folk singer from Scotland, he has a deep, mumbling style which I now realise is quite demanding of hifi - I forget how long since I listened to him live (is he still alive?) - and the speaker cable with no name (yet) allowed a more solid presentation of his vocals.

I think I now need to try some violin pieces that might expose any brightness.

ditton, Mar 10, 2005
  2. ditton

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Interesting, since I have exactly the cables you mention and am in the process of upgrading - please carry on with your reporting

SteveC, Mar 10, 2005
  3. ditton

Anex Thermionic

surely the winner is the one that creates a mess of cds and lps around the rack?

Anex, Mar 11, 2005
  4. ditton

ditton happy old soul

well, there was quite a pile of CDs on the floor and sofa at the end of my listening last night, so the silver certainly kept my interest.

Apparently they are made by a guy on hifichoice forum, probably well known to some others here. Bob? someone. Anyway, I'll get the full info soon

ditton, Mar 11, 2005
Ask a Question