Testing Inductance and Capacitance

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Graham C, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Graham C

Graham C

As part of my quest for new speakers, I purchased an inductance/capacitance/resistance tester in Feb 04. The date may be significant, since it has a 1 year calibration warranty of 1%. I would like to see this used more widely than I will alone - so if any inmates need to test components for DIY, I could take it to bake offs, or pass it on to responsible adults who are going, or I could come to some other arrangement [eg you could make me a coffee milk/no sugar, when I call..]. It really is idiot proof - you press one button, and it powers down after the test!

Try to think of odd uses you techies. A good one is to use mains transformers as audio inductors/transformers. This isn't 'supposed' to work - the wrong kind of steel etc. but in practise it can. Over 10 years ago, I used to run headphones off my power amp output, via mains transformers and it was much better than the normal socket. The inductance+resistance tells you how it will load your amp

Graham C, Mar 12, 2004
  2. Graham C

Lt Cdr Data om

very useful, to find out crossover component values, caps inductors, I could make some use of one, tho they are what about £60+ new, I can't justify buying one yet.

Lt Cdr Data, Mar 31, 2004
Ask a Question