The Baby of Mâcon

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by SSlithery, Sep 10, 2005.

1. SSlithery

SSlithery Registered User

Anyone knows an online DVD store where I can buy an available copy? This Peter Greenaway film seems to be NLA everywhere I look. Its the sole Greenaway I can't get my hands on, and given the various sypnoses I have read online, it seems its gory storyline offends delicate christian sentiments in certain quarters too much - leading to its lack of reception amongst distributors. :( I hear it didn't even get a US release. :confused:

This film reads like it could be one of Peter's masterpieces. Would really like to see it.

SSlithery, Sep 10, 2005
  2. SSlithery

ditton happy old soul

seen it. suggest you post on avtalk/avforum and get a loan. IMHO, not worth the effort to buy.

ditton, Sep 10, 2005
  3. SSlithery

griffo104

The concept behind the film is very good. In theory you are supposed to be one of the audience watching a play.

But the ending leaves a bad taste and it appeared in many 'top 10 worst films of the year' lists of many critics. I can fully understand why it would offend the Christian conservatives in the US as the 'play' tells a story of a woman who states that she has had a virgin birth - and the ending seems OTT, you have to see it to take in its full impact (I won't spoil it for you).

However, it is a visual treat and well up there with his best efforts, imo.

Sadly don't know where to get on dvd.

Very much for Greenaway fans only (of which I'm one of them).

griffo104, Sep 28, 2005
  4. SSlithery

narabdela

No available on DVD. Worth a worldwide search of ebay sites for a used VHS version if you're really keen.

narabdela, Sep 28, 2005
Ask a Question