the bestest cartridge in the world

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by rob, Oct 28, 2003.

1. rob

rob SCHMOOOOKIN

for around 50 squids.

waddya think guys?
    i need to replace the audio technica 115e on my rega 3/rb300.
    well i dont really need to but i would like to upgrade to a better one.
    ive been looking at grado prest green/blue
    sumiko black pearl and a few of the other usual suspects.

any advice guys?

rob, Oct 28, 2003
  2. rob

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Stretch the budget and get an Ortofon 510; you can then upgrade all the way to 540 whenever you replace the tip. The 520, 530 and 540 have all sounded ace on my Planar 3/RB300 :)

domfjbrown, Oct 28, 2003
  3. rob

johnhunt recidivist

denon dl110

johnhunt, Oct 28, 2003
  4. rob

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

In order to get a better sound you will need to stretch that budget somewhat, I would not even look at an upgrade under 100 to replace something under 100, if you understand me.

garyi, Oct 28, 2003
  5. rob

Sid and Coke

Gayri said:
    Sorry, but have to disagree with you here mate. I think that even at this budget level ( which also happens to be my level ) i think that there is plenty of sonic difference between the different models and makes of cartridges to suit all tastes. If they all sounded the same, there there wouldn't be such a choice.

rob,
    It is said that the Rega RB300 is more than capable of competing with arms at many times its price, therefore you already have a decent Tonearm well able to make the most of what is fitted to the headshell. Just because you may spend many more times than your existing budget of £50 does not guarantee your sonic pleasure, as Garyi hinted at. If you are just making the change for changes sake then some models that spring to mind are Goldring 1006 or 1012, AT 120e, Ortofon 520 Mk2 ( i didn't like this one, but some others really like it on a Rega - Dom ?). I've not tried the Denon DL106 0r DL110 , however if they are anything like the £90 DL103 then they must be worth a try. I have tried a number of budget MM over the last year or so and since making the switch to a DL103 MC i have no plans to replace it or 'Upgrade', in fact I'm seriously considering buying a spare one in case i accidentaly trash this one. I'd rather have 200 quid tied up in a Cartridge(s) that i really like than in just one that doesn't do it sonically for me, but i feel compelled to keep or use becasuse it's cost me so much. You will probably find it quite hard to demo carts at home, buying s/h of e-bay and similar is a good way that i've found has enabled to let me try out different carts , without losing too much ( or any in my case ) money, obviously you need to be a bit cagey when and what you are buying if you travel down the s/h route.
    HTH
    S&C

Sid and Coke, Oct 28, 2003
  6. rob

titian

If you don't need to, but would like to then I would save that money and maybe in the future when you can afford it and when you feel like you need something really better, you should get a better TT (second hand) / arm and the cart.

titian, Oct 28, 2003
  7. rob

rob SCHMOOOOKIN

thanks for the advice guys.the reason why im thinking about getting a new cartridge is because the table itself came with a budget rega cart and it sounded realy good however the rega cart got damaged whilst checking out the wiring due to an intermittant cutting out of one channel.anyways i got the audio technica off e bay for a tenner so it just seemed like a good idea to replace it.i spose the final straw came when a new stylus came up on e bay. i bid £2.50 and won it then sent off a postal order but never recieved the stylus.i guess i just had it in my head to bugger it n buy a new one.i probably still will but i might leave it a while and buy something awhen ive got a wee bit more money to spend.

rob, Oct 28, 2003
  8. rob

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Yes the RB300 is a fine arm, but the P/Planar 3 motor unit is only so-so in comparison (but pretty good so-so!). That said, the Dynavector 10x4 works well on it at £229, and I've heard that some guy had an insanely expensive MC on it that just happened to be a brilliant synergistic match - not sure what the MC cart was though...

domfjbrown, Oct 29, 2003
  9. rob

penance Arrogant Cock

i use a 10x4 on an RB400
    works for me:)

penance, Oct 29, 2003
  10. rob

adam

Rob, I have a fully working shure mx97E it was £100 new,its on a rega p25 at the moment,you can have it for 30€ if your intrested,I also have a body to the Goldring g1042 you can have for 6€ you just need to add the stylus.

adam, Oct 29, 2003
  11. rob

rob SCHMOOOOKIN

hi adam,
    id be well interested in the sure.i think thers a new stylus for one of these on e bay. how many hours use has it had?

rob, Oct 29, 2003
  12. rob

adam

Rob the stylus is fine,its mine,but i cant find the box,i dont know how many hours its done to be honest,to reason im changing it is that im getting a shure vr15mk3.if you want it ill send it free from spain.

adam, Oct 29, 2003
  13. rob

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

I have had many cartridges in the £50 bracket. And Mr Coke I would disagree with you, I think at this price point you will not get much better than any cartridge you are using at that price point (if you get me again)

I think to gain significant improvement from a £50 cart you need to double the price at least.

The rega the poster refers to actually works really will (as it should) on a rega planer 2 (I had one)

Replacing in a side way step will gain nothing, he now needs to move forward and I would suggest that a rega 2 or 3 deck can take even a £500 cart.

Again I know this because I have done it. Firstly a DV 17D2, which did not imbarress the rega one bit. And a slightly cheaper MC, but right now I can't remember the name.

Yes both these carts sounded better on another deck, but the rega is no slouch.

I have had a number of 50-70 quid carts, I couldn't reel off the names now, sorry, but not one sounded far ahead of the pack, they all sounded bradly similar, or did certain things the other didn't, but missed things the others did.

In conclusion, I believe that someone who is using a 50 quid cart, can at most hope for a 'back to new' sound by replacing it, I don't believe it will be better in any significant way.

Just my opinion of course.

garyi, Oct 29, 2003
  14. rob

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

Since discovering the Denon DL-103 cartridge buying has become incredibly simple as far as I'm concerned…

25-90 quid: Audio Technica AT95E – simple MM cart that gets the basics right; it's the design that Linn used as a basis for the Basik, K5, K9 and K18. It works, and makes you question spending more until you get to...

90-500 quid: Denon DL-103! I've yet to hear a cart in this price range that conclusively betters the 90 quid DL103. It totally humiliates mid range MM designs like the Goldrings / Regas etc and also makes you seriously wonder why a lot of MCs cost closer to the upper range. A true giant killer.

500 quid plus: Irrelevant unless you have a really high end deck, and even then the 103 takes some beating!

Tony.

TonyL, Oct 29, 2003
  15. rob

rob SCHMOOOOKIN

pm for you adam.

rob, Oct 29, 2003
  16. rob

adam

pm back to you Rob[​IMG]

Here is a pic

adam, Oct 31, 2003
  17. rob