The Darkness – Thoughts In Retrospect….

Discussion in 'General Music' started by RDD, Oct 15, 2004.

1. RDD

RDD Longterm Lurker

As a previous advocator and defender of this band to all those on here who gave them a good verbal kicking – after last nights experiences I may have to go back on my stance and bow down to your superior music taste :respect:

I must have listened to the album almost none stop at work (not my fault) for about 2 months when everyone here thought they were truly something new and exiting. I even went to a sell out concert in Manchester last December, which was well received (despite almost getting crushed to death in the front two rows). Since then though, I've only listened to the album a few times.

The last time was last night and the only thought running through my head was, in this order :newbie: :chunder: - I think since rediscovering my late 80s and early 90s rock collection (the likes of AC/DC, Def Leppard, Alice Cooper and even early Bryan Adams) the Darkness have become a bit of a joke/novelty band to my ears now. It's not so much the songs, even though they're starting to sound a bit old hat, it's those f**king dumb stupid vocals that drill into my brain and spoil the whole thing – ironically they were probably the major selling point!!

So what do you think, have they had their day? Did they ever have a day?

Interested in your thoughts….

RDD, Oct 15, 2004
  2. RDD

Saab

sorry but Def leppard are the biggest sell out band ever,selling out from a great NWOBHM base,and fabulous first ep and lp,only then to cop out to US style shyte.Compared to them,The Darkness are fantastic

(i was a big Leppard fan,saw them twice in the early days,when they were fully limbed)

Saab, Oct 15, 2004
  3. RDD

mr cat Member of the month

I hate them..!

mr cat, Oct 15, 2004
  4. RDD

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i'm not a huge fan of the darkness (too hyped imho) - as you say other bands did it better and earlier. however they have opened up a genre of rawk to a new audience - hopefully some of whom will discover the earlier gems, for which they should be applauded. the big test for the darkness though will be their next 2 albums. if they can bring those off and still keep their identity (such as it is) i.e. not dissapear up their own arses like blur or oasis then they may have begun to earn the respect they've been afforded so far.
    i have the feeling that they will fail miserably though.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Oct 15, 2004
  5. RDD

Heavymental

Yeah I dunno about the Darkness. I think my thoughts have gone in an opposite order to you. When I first heard them I just heard those soprano vocal bits in the songs and thought it was just a bit stoopid. However after listening to the album I realised the songs are actually pretty good, some great tunes on that album and really well written.

I think its a shame that they had to market themselves as a novelty band with all that spandex and all but I think maybe it was the only way they could get a deal. Certainly their record label has promoted their comedy image to death. I think if they'd toned down those comedy high points in the songs the album would be much more of a long term listen. As it is the soprano bits just make it a joke.

Theres clearly alot of talent in the band but its a shame they went for a that image as it makes them a bit of a flash in the pan. Anyway they've done well, touring America and making a mint. Wonder if we'll see a successful second album. Probably not I fear.

Heavymental, Oct 15, 2004
  6. RDD

Markus S Trade

Whassat?

Markus S, Oct 15, 2004
  7. RDD

voodoo OdD

I remember watching the "Get your hands off my woman" video on MTV2, for the first time, last April. It was a cheap, B&W camcorder production that was so funny I almost fell off my seat.

At this point no one had heard of them and it took me a little while to track down the single. Quite frankly, I loved it simply because they didn't take themselves seriously (or so I thought). I informed a few 'rock' mates of mine and told them keep an eye out for these guys because they appeared to be the living embodiment of Spinal Tap.

Unfortunately, they (and the public) began to take them too seriously and I've only played the album maybe once since I bought it.

voodoo, Oct 15, 2004
  8. RDD

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

IMO the darkness are manufactured pap of the lowest order. Not a single original idea in the whole band. The BoSelecta version of the darkness frontman is spot on.

lAmBoY, Oct 15, 2004
  9. RDD

Goomer

NWOBHM = New Wave Of British Heavy Metal. Included loads of bands, the most popular of which, I guess, were Iron Maiden. Also included, as mentioned already, early Def Leppard, Saxon, Diamond Head, to name a few.

Hope that helps,

Chris.

Goomer, Oct 15, 2004
  10. RDD

Heavymental

Give over Lamboy! They're not manufactured at all...they're a bunch of mates from Doncaster, I think?, playing their own songs. Nobody in the music industry would have the brains or guile to come up with the idea themselves.

Having thought about it my comments earlier suggest stripping out the vital characteristics of the band. That would just make them another above average but bland rock band. I think its best just to listen to the odd tune on the jukebox whilst playing pool rather than the whole album.

If you listen to the songs its impossible to say there are no original ideas. The songs are as well written as anything from more 'Serious' bands of the moment.

11. RDD

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

OK - I am biased because I think they are shit. I'll give in to the point on manufactured - in fact I like the fact they have done well.

They are still shit though:)

lAmBoY, Oct 15, 2004
  12. RDD

Heavymental

Fair enough!
    Although watch yourself to see if you start tapping your foot and playing air guitar on the cue when it comes on the jukey next time you're in the pub

13. RDD

PeteH Natural Blue

Can't say I agree with that - on a purely musical compositional level they haven't really got that much to offer to be honest, whereas there are several 'serious' acts about who do. Great hair though, and they can obviously actually play their instruments.

PeteH, Oct 15, 2004
  14. RDD

Heavymental

Pete, I'm talking purely from the catchy tune angle. I think they have a talent for writing a good pop tune with an edge.

15. RDD

Saab

they takie the piss,so you can't take them seriously.From that point of view they are great

Diamond Head got a mention,class band,truly great

Saab, Oct 15, 2004
  16. RDD

notaclue

They won some big best band award last year, didn't they? Was it at the Brits? I think that is going to look like a really bizzare choice in a few years time. They are quite funny and I quite like them but I would never buy their albums. It's their novelty value that gives them the edge, not their songs.

If you want to journey into the future and see what the Darkness will probably become in a few years time, click here...

notaclue, Oct 15, 2004
  17. RDD

RDD Longterm Lurker

Some good comments here guys; they definitely write some pretty good songs, Love Is Only A Feeling being a very fine song all in all, and no they don't take themselves seriously….but those vocals…. :banghead:

I'm just gonna put it down to getting another year older and perhaps another year wiser!! Perhaps they will win favour with me at some point again, but not right now.

Saab – As regards Def, well couldn't disagree more, I like all their albums but prefer the later period (or “US style shyte†as you put it). It may have something to do with the fact that Robert Lange, who incidentally is my favourite music producer of all time, joined in around that era….different people different tastes I suppose :MILD:

ATB

RDD, Oct 15, 2004
  18. RDD

Tom

Just for accuracy's sake, The Darkness originate from Lowestoft. Probably the most exciting thing that's happened there for some time!

Tom, Oct 24, 2004
  19. RDD

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

And they gigged about for quite some time before making it - more than yer average poop idol wannabe..
    Still, I don't rate 'em (even though a m8 of mine is their tour agent)..
    If you want proper contemporary rock try 80s Matchbox Beeline Disaster. Absolutely pumpin' with no prisoners taken..
    Make AC/DC sound like Abba!

leonard smalls, Oct 25, 2004
  20. RDD

Saab

RDD

yeah,its taste.I just saw them in the hay-day of BHM,along with great bands like Priest,and Leppard but on a great gig,up there with the best.There is only so much Journey and Boston I can listen too though

Saab, Oct 26, 2004
Ask a Question