The future of music and/or hi-fi enthusiasts

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tom, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Tom

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

Tweeter at the bottom angled up - interesting configuration. :cool:

What's the crossover point?

7_V, Sep 21, 2004
  2. Tom

merlin

But Julian, I get all of every track through Firewire ;) Plus the squeezebox has all the aestetic appeal of Joan Rivers waking up with a hangover - you need a Roku mate :D

merlin, Sep 21, 2004
  3. Tom

merlin

About an eighth Steve ;)

merlin, Sep 21, 2004
  4. Tom

julian2002 Muper Soderator

merlin,
    forget about the squeezebox in drag - ladyboy roku, the squeeze box is far more manly in it's original state. :)
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Sep 21, 2004
  5. Tom

penance Arrogant Cock

I have a triple chambered bong, for extended lowers :)

penance, Sep 21, 2004
  6. Tom

merlin

If by manly you mean ugly as sin then the concensus is that you are right mate ;)

The Roku has the styling to even look OK at Gary I's pad. The Squeezebox would look at home in WM's garage :D I particularly like the Squeezebox's interpretation of music, leaving out bits of songs so that you can sing along and fill in the gaps. It's like having your very own PC pop quiz :D

merlin, Sep 21, 2004
  7. Tom

GTM Resistance IS Futile !

Just a question about your assertions that people can't hear the difference.

What exactly are these 99.9% of people that can't hear the difference doing the comparisons on? If you tell me that they're using true audiophile grade equipment then I'll accept it. But considering that 99.9% of the population don't use equipment anywhere near that quality and that also the odds are very high that the people on the internet that can't hear the difference are very likely to be replaying them on their PC speaker systems (which no matter how fancy are still crap) or using their PCs as a source through at best budget-mid priced components. I think I'll believe the greater likely hood which is that the reason there is no audiable differences is because the systems being used just aren't up to the task of enabling you to hear the differences.

On top of which there is the FACT that 99.9% of the population think the massively distorted noise that eminates from most "suped up" car stereos or club PA systems is the best thing they've heard ever.

GTM

GTM, Sep 21, 2004
  8. Tom

Dev Moderator

It may be progress but WTF is it?

Dev, Sep 21, 2004
  9. Tom

michaelab desafinado

Hmmm....does not compute. The output into the DAC from Apple Lossless is 100% identical, bit for bit, to WAV. With what hardware/setup were you doing the comparison?

On the iPod I can't tell the difference between WAV and 320kbps MP3, nevermind Apple Lossless - and that's using decent headphones.

Michael.

michaelab, Sep 21, 2004
  10. Tom

PBirkett VTEC Addict

GTM, I am more than happy to send you a CD with an MPC compressed set of files and an original set of files, if you wish.

There is plenty of reading on the musepack site, but also Hydrogen Audio forums which if you do a search you will find plenty to keep you going. Some of the people on HA forums have very good equipment, FWIW. Admittedly, the 99.9% figure is grabbed from the air, but the point remains that I feel you would be doing very well even with the highest quality equipment to guess them apart from the original.

I am more than happy to knock up a CD which could be posted around containing music of people's choice, if they so wish.

PBirkett, Sep 21, 2004
  11. Tom

blakeaudio

or is that extended highs....

blakeaudio, Sep 21, 2004
  12. Tom

michaelab desafinado

Take a wander around some of the bigger HMV and Virgin stores. I think you'll find that majority of new releases are also available on vinyl.

At the Virgin on Union Square (in NY) last week I was amazed just how many new releases were available on vinyl. Some, like Bjorks latest "Medulla" were even available on 180g pressings.

Michael.

michaelab, Sep 21, 2004
  13. Tom

PBirkett VTEC Addict

PBirkett, Sep 21, 2004
  14. Tom

julian2002 Muper Soderator

michael,
    i'm with you on this one.

merlin,
    your recent change in speakers probably has more impact on what you hear than switching from wav to flac / alc.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Sep 21, 2004
  15. Tom

Paul Ranson

I'm not interested in being up to date. I am interested in stuff I haven't heard before.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Sep 21, 2004
  16. Tom

Tom Alves

Then you're in luck. There's about 900 years worth of music for you to explore in a variety of styles from Gregorian Chant to the latest out pourings of Busted

Tom Alves, Sep 21, 2004
  17. Tom

Paul Ranson

Good isn't it.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Sep 21, 2004
  18. Tom

Tom

What, Gregorian chant or Busted?!

Tom, Sep 21, 2004
  19. Tom

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Have Busted done a Gregorian chant cover yet?

MartinC, Sep 21, 2004
  20. Tom

PumaMan

I still dont see what the problem is re. funds. Most of us here dont bat an eyelid at spending £500+ on kit so why should real hardcore computer audio fans. I dont see this as a show stopper. You can buy a terrabyte of storage for around that price now. In a couple of years that will be just one hardrive.

So again for a purely home system why bother with compression? It doesnt make sense to me. Especially if I have all the CDs already anyway. Way to much effort. I'm sorry if you cant pursuade me otherwise. The argument just doesnt convince me. Sorry but thats how I feel.

I'll sit happy with my CD collection during a thunderstorm while you go beavering away frantically making sure your data is all backed up before it goes 'pop' quite literally. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2004
    PumaMan, Sep 21, 2004
Ask a Question