The Italian Job

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by michaelab, Oct 25, 2003.

1. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

The current Hollywood version, not the Michael Caine one. I saw it the other day - reluctantly because I thought it would be just another Hollywood remake that massacred the original. Fortunately it's not a remake at all but a completely new story. The only common bits are that there's an audacious gold robbery in Italy and there's a bit with lots of minis.

Ok, so what's this got to do with Hifi? Well, when the thieves have nabbed the gold they all wonder what they're going to do with their share of the $35m.

- One says Aston Martin Vanquish (nice choice, but you'd still have a lot of change left over. I'd plump for a McLaren F1 myself).
    - The next guy wants a massive villa in spain with a separate room to keep all his shoes in. OK, we're starting to spend a bit more money now.
    - So what does the "nerd" of the team want? Wait for it...a NAD T770 "stereo" system :newbie: I quote "It's got dual Burr Brown DACs [pronounced dee-ay-cees :rolleyes: ] and it goes so loud it will blow a girls clothes off".

FFS who the hell thought of that load of crap? The NADT770 is a medium to budget AV receiver for chrissakes! Why is it that when it comes to computer stuff and similar things the producers can't even spend 5 minutes doing some research???

Otherwise a cracking film though - and Charlize Theron is a total babe :p

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 25, 2003
  2. michaelab

penance Arrogant Cock

Take deeps slow breath's Micheal..............

There, feel calmer, relaxed?:MILD:

penance, Oct 25, 2003
  3. michaelab

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

I suspect it will have far more to do with NAD writing the person in charge of product placement a large cheque…

Tony.

TonyL, Oct 25, 2003
  4. michaelab

julian2002 Muper Soderator

micheal,
    i had exactly the same sentiments as you but just shrugged it off as typical hollywood in the same vein as hacking an alien mothership with a mac laptop i.e. utter bollocks.
    as for the maclaren f1, yes but their share would be about 5 million each. thats about 1 million to buy the thing and then roughly 35,000 usd to service it every 3000 miles! that's going to eat into your capital a bit. i'd go with the aston myself (although probably not the convertible) or possibly a tvr instead if i wanted that hemoraging money feeling.
    the film though was surprisingly well done i thought, typical hollywood brain candy but it didn't disrespect the origional which makes a change after classic history manglers like u571.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Oct 25, 2003
  5. michaelab

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Perhaps a little "nerdy" to be bothered what a hollywood "nerd" says? :p :p :p

I'd take the Maclaren F1, Aston Martin, TVR (was a dealer just down the road from my old house), and throw in a Jag XJ220 too :D

MO!, Oct 25, 2003
  6. michaelab

Tom Alves

But isn't that the fun of these films. I remember when Cliffhanger came out all the climbing fora & mags had a field day about the technical bloomers. It gave them something to feel superior about and kept them amused for months.

Tom Alves, Oct 25, 2003
  7. michaelab

Hodgesaargh

Um, that is how you pronounce it mate. It's an acronym and you usually pronounce the individual letters. I dont know many people who say "dac" anyway... :rolleyes:

Hodgesaargh, Oct 26, 2003
  8. michaelab

SimonConnell

I say 'DAC, no-ones ever corrected me, but are you now telling me they all laugh at me behind my back?

SimonConnell, Oct 26, 2003
  9. michaelab

Tom Alves

but it's "Nad" not "en-ay-dee" and I can't recall anyone ever saying "dee-ay-see", it's always been "dac" within my hearing. So even if the rule is to pronounce the individul letters the chap in the film wasn't being consistent as well as not aspiring to a decent hi-fi

Tom Alves, Oct 26, 2003
  10. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

I've never heard anyone call them anything but DACs. If I remember correctly the chap in the film also pronounced NAD as en-ay-dee so if NAD were paying for the product placement they didn't get much for it.

The ironic thing is that only people who would know that the NAD T770 is a mediocre AV Receiver would actually be able to pick up what he was referring to at all!

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 26, 2003
  11. michaelab

Hodgesaargh

Most people say D A C. Dac sounds stupid.

12. michaelab

Robbo

Neither have I! The guys at dpa, one of the best known dac manufacturers called them dacs too.

Robbo, Oct 26, 2003
  13. michaelab

HenryT

"dac" vs "dee-ay-see"

LMAO, what a strange argument! :D

I find myself using both "dac" and "day-ay-see" interchangeably, and find the use of both acceptable. Although generally I use "dac" more.

So what happens when you're in a conversation that refers to both DACs and ADCs. Surely most people would refer to an "ay-dee-see" rather than an "a-da-cu"!! ;)

HenryT, Oct 26, 2003
  14. michaelab

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

so how do you pronounce GHOTI?

themadhippy, Oct 26, 2003
  15. michaelab

Tom Alves

Well I pronounce it goatee but Bernard Shaw pronounced it Fish. What does that tell you.

Tom Alves, Oct 26, 2003
  16. michaelab

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Dunno what you lot are arguing over easy really MUSIC=WADIA, all this D & C lark:D thats a ladies operation you know :eek:

wadia-miester, Oct 26, 2003
  17. michaelab

merlin

Interestingly four out of the five constituent parts of "music" are missing from "wadia" making it impossible to make the former with the latter.

I see you've joined the flashing blue light brigade Tony. And to think I thought you were into the music:newbie:

merlin, Oct 26, 2003
  18. michaelab

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Miike, I have to agree there, but it's a long dot matrix display of blue LEDS, so not entirely down to Wembelys Finest :D
    It's one of those very Rare Wadia 9's , thought it about time to take that carpet out :eek: T.

wadia-miester, Oct 26, 2003
  19. michaelab

Hodgesaargh

So do you call LEDs "leds"? If not, why not?

20. michaelab

Robbo

Hodgesaargh,

Does it really matter whether people call them dacs or D.A.Cs? Time to move on now, I feel.

Robbo, Oct 26, 2003
Ask a Question