The Keyboard Music of Bach

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by Rodrigo de Sá, Jun 19, 2003.

1. Rodrigo de Sá

Rodrigo de Sá This club's crushing bore

When listening to Bach that is the correct approach: his counterpoint is harmony-driven, so you need to know the harmonic base of what is going on. With more pure polyphony, that is somewhat more difficult, because the modes are unusual for modern day listeners and because each voice is a little more independent.

But try to focus only on the bass of the Beethoven's opus. 106 3rd movement... (That's the Hammerklavier slow movement) You'll miss the absolute miracle of the music.

Plus, musically uneducated people usually sing the soprano. Therefore, you are too knowledgeable. :)

Rodrigo de Sá, Nov 9, 2009
  2. Rodrigo de Sá

Marc

Thanks! I'll keep that one in mind.
    Have to slow down with buying discs though, due to economical issues. :D
    But yes, I remember a Missa by Obrecht that I very much liked .... the Missa Caput? .... dunno exactly. There was a rather stunning canon-esque 'Cantus firmus' in it, if I remember well. And indeed, whilst listening I somehow entered a trance. But I just forgot the title, I'm afraid.

Mmm, been listening too much to mr. Bach lately. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2009
    Marc, Nov 10, 2009
  3. Rodrigo de Sá

Marc

Thanks Rodrigo, you're far too kind!
    (Because honestly: that's a weak aspect of my musical [non-] talents: getting a fast grip on the second/third/fourth voice.) But on the other hand: yes, apparently I am very susceptible for the thorough bass. My entire body seems to respond to that, both in classical and in other music.
    But of course, there is more in the classical music field than Bach. When f.i. Mozart's music is concerned, I am indeed touched by his melodical inventions first, combined with the dramatic expression that goes with it. I especially experience this in his 'adult' operas.

Marc, Nov 10, 2009
  4. Rodrigo de Sá

bat Connoisseur Par Excelence

I may be alone in this but I like Rosalyn Turecks' 1979 harpsichord version of the Goldberg variations. What is the opinion of the resident experts?

bat, Dec 20, 2009
  5. Rodrigo de Sá

Rosalynd Trucke ...

Rodrigo de Sá, Dec 20, 2009
  6. Rodrigo de Sá

pe-zulu

It did not impress me much, and neither did her other Bach harpsichord recordings (e.g. Chromatic Fantasy) impress me. Heavy and pedestrian I think.

pe-zulu, Dec 20, 2009
  7. Rodrigo de Sá

Yes, it is Heavy metal Bach but on the other hand very clear. It could be better in some respects but at the expense of absolute clarity.
    That's why it is perhaps the best classical record of all times !!! :D

One night I was writing my mother of all blockbuster novels and I listened to Tureck's version at least four times in a row. My writing improved 100 %

Tureck's last piano version on DG is also fantastic. It takes about 93 minutes with all repeats.
    I recommend that one especially to pe-zulu !!!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2009
    bat, Dec 21, 2009
  8. Rodrigo de Sá

So, Pollini's WTC I is out. I listened to bits of it in a shop, it seems he is now adept to humming. Otherwise I thought it boring. I was waiting for that release, mind you, and yet could not be bothered to buy it... I'm getting old.

Rodrigo de Sá, Dec 21, 2009
  9. Rodrigo de Sá

pe-zulu

Tell you what, ... Bach on piano!!!!?

I would not waste my time on that. :MILD:

pe-zulu, Dec 23, 2009
  10. Rodrigo de Sá

pe-zulu

Thanks, but she is not my cup of tea. And I have heard a certain number of her recordings as well as live at recital (playing Bach, of course).

pe-zulu, Dec 23, 2009
  11. Rodrigo de Sá

Is tasty food healthy? No, it is awful tasting health food that is good for you.
    Perhaps we should avoid things we like and prefer things that we do not like.
    You know, for spiritual reasons.
    That is the ascetic way to enlightenment. Indian hermets do it all the time.
    Now let's hear some Bach on the piano.

bat, Dec 23, 2009
  12. Rodrigo de Sá

pe-zulu

If you go for ascetic interpretations of Bach's music, you should rather listen to Helmut Walcha - for spiritual reasons.

pe-zulu, Jan 4, 2010
  13. Rodrigo de Sá

Seconded!

Rodrigo de Sá, Jan 4, 2010
  14. Rodrigo de Sá

Marc

Thirded!

:D

Marc, Jan 6, 2010
  15. Rodrigo de Sá

I am currently giving a hard listening to the Emerson's reading of the fugues of the WTC (not all the fugues, but the most impressive are there).

It is totally addictive... I'll post further.

Rodrigo de Sá, Apr 12, 2010
  16. Rodrigo de Sá

So, about the Emerson quartet's version of the fugues.

While I do not agree with many of the renderings, I cannot deny that they put their souls into those fugues. In some fugues they manage to convey a firework effect (the stretti make the themes spring up as if in a firework display); the more sombre fugues are well played, but I distinctly prefer the harpsichord renderings (that is to say: I know them rather better, I studied some of them, so I find no thematic surprises in them...). That said, in the 5 voice fugue in c#minor from wtc 1 this is the very first version where I actually can listen to every voice, even when they cross or begin with the same notes (as is the case in the bass: the third and first themes begin in the same note; I can find out the number if you want).

But in fact I like violins very much, I love the sound, I totally love the music, and it is honestly and well played. Of course I would like it.

I would heartily recommend this record to anyone interested in unravelling the polyphony of the work. That said, Marc, one or two months are not yet past, so I am not recommending this to you:p

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2010
    Rodrigo de Sá, Apr 12, 2010
  17. Rodrigo de Sá

Rodrigo de Sá, Apr 13, 2010
  18. Rodrigo de Sá

Marc

Thank you, Rodrigo, that's very thoughtful of you. :D

Nevertheless I decided to (ab)use the cheap library to order it. :p

Some people seem to think that libraries are old-fashioned, but in musical and bibliophile ways they have helped and still help me out many many several times. :)

Marc, Apr 13, 2010
  19. Rodrigo de Sá

Marc

Dear me, I actually ordered their recording of the Art of the Fugue. Never mind, might be interesting stuff, too. :)

Marc, Apr 14, 2010
  20. Rodrigo de Sá

pe-zulu

I might be interested in some report about this recording. In my rather completistic traversal of AoF recordings I have hitherho (among others) avoided recordings with arrangements for modern instrument string quartet, beecause the items I have heard so far (Roth Quartet and Bel Arte Quartet with S Lautenbacher in front) didn't convince me that this is suitable medium for the work - a parallel to Bach on piano dare I almost not to say ;) - but maybe I should investigate some more string quartet recordings.

pe-zulu, Apr 14, 2010
Ask a Question