The Keyboard Music of Bach

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by Rodrigo de Sá, Jun 19, 2003.

1. Rodrigo de Sá

Marc

Ha! Laibach!

In the eighties I sometimes had to listen to them, because a friend of mine quite liked their music.
    To be honest: not exactly my cup of tea, although I preferred Leben heißt Leben to Live is life.

Concerning Die Kunst der Fuge: I prefer the harpsichord or organ. :D

But again: sometimes it's good fun listening to Laibach's version, f.i. the pouring rain in Contrapunctus 8.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2010
    Marc, Dec 3, 2010
  2. Rodrigo de Sá

jannypana

As a matter of fact, the WTC is one of the least accessible entries to Bach's keyboard works. The French Suites, for instance, are much more melodic and caressing (except the first one: really dark and austere).

jannypana, Jun 1, 2011
  3. Rodrigo de Sá

adamdea

At risk of upsetting some people- I don't know if this has been pointed out before but Hyperion currently have the entire output of Angela hewitt playing bach keyboard pieces on piano. It goes for £60 for FLAC download but since you get 25% off anything over £59 this makes £45.
    This is a fantastic bargain as it is the equivalent of 15 cds, all (or at least most) of which is either top recommendation or thereabouts in the Penguin Guide.
    Course it's not a harpsichord

adamdea, Jul 5, 2011
  4. Rodrigo de Sá

Grothendieck

Someone recently added to youtube some video footage of a young Davitt Moroney at the harpsichord playing Bach. He plays, among other things, the prelude and fugue in f minor from book I of the WTC and the prelude and fugue in e major from book II of the WTC. The prelude and fugue in c major from book I are also there. (BWV numbers 857, 878, and 846 respectively)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2011
    Grothendieck, Jul 14, 2011
  5. Rodrigo de Sá

Grothendieck

It appears that Helmut Walcha's recording of the Partitas is coming back into print in April. I inserted the link but for some reason it wasn't working. Just go to amazon and the Partitas are in the list of recordings for Walcha. Be a little cautious, though, because Walcha's name isn't actually on the page for the Partitas. I guess it's possible that some other artist's recording got mixed in with the list of recordings for Walcha.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2012
    Grothendieck, Mar 10, 2012
  6. Rodrigo de Sá

Grothendieck

I found confirmation elsewhere that the recording is, indeed, Walcha's.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2012
    Grothendieck, Mar 10, 2012
  7. Rodrigo de Sá

neia0824

neia0824, Oct 21, 2015
Ask a Question