The merits of DVD

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by Rodrigo de Sá, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Rodrigo de Sá

Rodrigo de Sá This club's crushing bore

Last night we spent a marvelous time with friends. They usually invites over Winter to drink a particular Winter beverage (a German thing) which is marvelous (they are German, of course).

After that we played some DVDs of Alfred Brendel. Their DVD set is connected to a simple system, and the sound is not that hot, but neither is it bad. I would just want to mention my reactions to it.

It is true that it focus attention of the music – at least in the playing process. But I found out to be interested in the fingering he used (which I never do unless I listen partition in hand) and quite distracted by his expressions. I asked around, for opinions. Most people preferred it that way: one particular comment was 'I love to see people play'.

We listened to some Beethoven (the Hammerklavier). It was undoubtedly helpful for the people who were less familiar with it (it is, as you know, a rather difficult piece to understand – and terribly difficult to play!). I know it very well and it was there that I was distracted by fingering considerations. Then we listened to some Haydn which I usually detest, but I could actually listen to it, which means it also did the trick (or that Brendel is a wonderful pianist, which I rather think he is). And then to some Schubert. I know Schubert rather well, and therefore I would have preferred to have just the sound, but Brendel's expressions seem to help people understand the piece.

So, all in all, it seems to be rather pedagogical.

Some time ago I watched/listened to some Monteverdi – I hated it, the 'mise-en-scène' was of an utterly horrible taste.

Anyway, Opera is favoured in a way. But then I very seldom like opera – I usually detest it, in fact, and hate all the ridiculous characterizations (be they period or 'modern', which seem to make it usually worse – I once saw D. Giovanni in a Mickey Mouse costume and mask (!).

So, may I have your thoughts on this?

Rodrigo de Sá, Jan 11, 2004
  2. Rodrigo de Sá

tones compulsive cantater

Hi, RdS, I now have a whole four DVDs, namely:

- Monteverdi: Vespers (Gardiner)
    - Bach: Christmas Oratorio (Gardiner)
    - Bach: Cantatas (Gardiner)
    - Handel: Messiah (Marriner)

To me, the visual impact adds something to the music. It is most pronounced in the Monteverdi Vespers, a highly theatrical performance where Gardiner uses all the facilities possible (small groups singing in different parts of the church, echoing eerily from a distance). It's also great to watch the Monteverdis at work on the big double choruses ("Nisi Dominus", Lauda Jerusalem"), with the choral line ricocheting back and forth between the two choirs. It all adds to an already stunning performance (I regard the CD version as the best available). I've worn out the video, and now I'm hard at work doing the same thing to the DVD.

The two Bachs are great, with the Christmas Oratorio being as good as Gardiner's CD version, which is already rated by many commentators as the best in the catalogue. The surroundings of the Herderkirche add to the atmosphere of this splendidly festive music.

The Marriner DVD somehow helps overcome the deficiencies in the sound recording (the inadequate tenor and bass soloists). Somehow you can forgive them on DVD.

An added bonus is the joy of watching people make music and love it. Gardiner's enthusiasm is infectious - this is no production line musician, his facial expressions, the way he sings the lines along with his choir, shows how much this means to him. He is bringing a work of art to life and loving every second. You find yourself singing along with him.

Nev Marriner is more restrained, but there's no doubt he's enjoying himself - the smile as he launches into a big number, as if to say, "Here's a goodie!"

In addition, I love the provision of essays, possible in DVDs. Gardiner on the origin of the Vespers and his thoughts on the cantata pilgrimage and how it has changed him, Handel authority H. Robbins Landon on "Messiah" and the sight of Nev handling Handel's original handwritten score with protective gloves and something akin to religious awe in his voice. For me, knowing the background to the performance and the piece enhances the experience considerably.

tones, Jan 13, 2004
  3. Rodrigo de Sá

Rodrigo de Sá This club's crushing bore

Hi, Tones, sorry for being so late in answering - you know the reason, of course!

Reading your post I was reminded of an experience I and my wife had: a TV broadcast of Ton Koopman and the Johannespassion, with Pregardien as Evangelist.

We were both stunned by the musical expressiveness of Pregardien. So much so that I bought a Matthäuspassion (the second Harnoncourt one) mainly because of Pregardien.

I was *very* disappointed - without the facial expression he seemed to sing flatly.

I also remember getting my wife to like some rather obscure Bach organ music just by making her watch M.C. Alain playing it (superbly, it must be said).

So I think it can enhance the expression. Even so, that doesn't happen with all kinds of music.

Of course, seeing an organist playing is always spectacular - several voices in the hands, one or even two full melodies in the pedals, and all this while he keeps very upright on the bench (the reason for this is that one doesn't sit firmly one looses balance and begins to make blunders).

Also, watching a harpsichord being played is a beautiful experience, if only because the harpsichords are usually very beautiful instruments.

And for those who like the grimaces pianist so often pull (I remember being totally disgusted by Ushido because of that) and the acrobatics they seem to perform (many of the arm movements of pianists are totally for the public), DVD is a very useful device.

It even manages, as you rightly point out, to convey the enthusiasm and, if well produced, the excitement of the performance, although I don't think DVD recreates the experience of being there - there is no possible substitute for that.

But I must say that, in music that I know well, I prefer to be limited to the sound - the images distract me from the sound.

What is important for me is that DVD provides the possibility of adding interviews, demonstrations and examples in separate 'files' - I don't know the technical term.

So, while I consider the technology interesting I would not probably buy a lot of DVDs.

Rodrigo de Sá, Jan 24, 2004
Ask a Question