The most overrated kit?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Gromit, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Gromit

analoguekid Planet Rush

Tony if by less single minded, you mean my system has no scafolding, then yes , but i wonder if a soundbase would make any difference have thought of trying one of these or some marble under me rack as the base is triangular and has relatively small foot print sitting on carpet, maybe James could help, I think mine is also transparent enough to show differences in cable mains etc, so we may experiment.,

Now this is not sarcasm but I'm not into football in any way never liked it, and I know most scots hate it when you guys win as the media crow about it for weeks, but I genuinely hope your chaps are giving a good account of themselves with the Bloody French this afternoon. Good Luck

Paul

analoguekid, Jun 12, 2004
  2. Gromit

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i thought james moved up there because his particular brand of quackery dovetailed nicely with the local hobby ;) :D
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jun 12, 2004
  3. Gromit

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Paul,

You're safe, I detest football :D if a big way
    I mean, not just mana, I mean your system will be a big departure for James, so it will be interesting to see how goes.

Ju, :D

wadia-miester, Jun 12, 2004
  4. Gromit

analoguekid Planet Rush

Well they don't have a smiley for saying "that went way above my head"

Tony is James into all that flat earthy stuff Ie salisbury?

or what?

Ps why don't us in Jockland arrange ssomething now for our twee little Scottish show in Dalmahoy? May even be able to put up one or two of the Bampot English between us if they wish to attend.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2004
    analoguekid, Jun 12, 2004
  5. Gromit

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Paul,

I feel the musicality of the Bow stuff may well make him smile :)
    James is music really, not totaly earthy (Atc's), but naim cds2/52 preLP12 (ninja) all on large quantities of mana.
    Not your typical naim sound (old skool) :)
    James is a Liver Doc, so JU's comment about carving them up & drinking was apt I reckon :)

wadia-miester, Jun 12, 2004
  6. Gromit

The Devil IHTFP

Yes I'd be interested to hear the Bow stuff, and the Art speakers. I don't really subscribe to the flat/round divide, rather the good/not good.

Having no curtains in the room at the moment has made an enormous difference to the sound I'm getting.

Can't stand football, either.

Off to see RHCPs at Murrayfield today.

The Devil, Jun 13, 2004
  7. Gromit

analoguekid Planet Rush

Thats a date then guess we both need a coupla/three weeks to get the hoose in order for visitors, then we can arrange something.

Pity your not into respiritory medicine James, then we coulda gone out for a slap up feast on me expenses.:D

analoguekid, Jun 13, 2004
  8. Gromit

ditton happy old soul

now I once worked as a medical statistician, so I'm available to justify dinner on expenses ...

ditton, Jun 13, 2004
  9. Gromit

The Devil IHTFP

Well I do do some general medical emergency work.....:D

The Devil, Jun 13, 2004
  10. Gromit

analoguekid Planet Rush

Sorry need to be a few pints and a kebab then as we are paying for it ourselves, work just gets in the way of good hifi anyway.

Paul

analoguekid, Jun 13, 2004
  11. Gromit

Mr Neds

Audiolab moaners- they never die!! I had an 8000a mk1, which my local shop said was better than the mark2. I couldn't tell much difference, but I fell for the "grey sound" nonsense and bought an Arcam Delta 290, which immediately sounded more impressive, because it's a much brighter amp, hence more apparent detail and forward soundstage. The source selector started playing up, as they do, so I shopped around and bought a Rega Mira 3 from another forum. That is a boring amp! Went back to the 8000a mk 2, which I still had. Sounds good to me! My pal, who has worked for a well known hi fi chain for many years, swears by the 8000a and wishes he had one to play to the young blades he now works with. Horses for hi fi's, eh?

Mr Neds, Jul 3, 2017
  12. Gromit

oldburyj

I purchased a Nordost Silver Shadow Digital cable, which I thought would enhance my system as I have Nordost through out, what a let down. I luckily picked up a Acoustic Zen MC2 for a knock down price and I could not believe the difference it made.

oldburyj, May 2, 2018
  13. Gromit

narabdela

Linn Kans. Nasty little squawk boxes.

Auditioned them in the company of a salesman who merrily foot-tapped out of time with the music.

narabdela, Jul 1, 2019
  14. Gromit

Alan

Got to be Naim

Alan, Jul 1, 2019
  15. Gromit

Coltrane

Linn isobarik & Kelktik -could never understand what all the fuss was all about.

Coltrane, Nov 6, 2019
  16. Gromit

Alan

Japanese audio equipment how can it be good if its put through so many tone controls and other unesesary switches and such built with really poor audio components . Its like owning a Technics turntable rather than a bet driven turntable its Insane.

Alan, Nov 6, 2019
  17. Gromit

Dissily Mordentroge

Oh dear! Where do we start with this one? Best not to I suggest.

Dissily Mordentroge, Nov 7, 2019
    Sergeauckland likes this.
  18. Gromit

Dissily Mordentroge

Apart from suggesting there’s an elephant in this room/thread and every hi-fi equipment review ever published.
    The absence of the results of clinical hearing tests conducted on everyone with an opinion of what they’re hearing. Or putting it another way, given how the majority of males of our species over the age of 40 face increasingly diminished upper treble hearing. This last I suggest explains the popularity of ultra expensive moving coil cartridges with their outrageously tilted upper treble, cartridges only wealthy old men can afford.

Dissily Mordentroge, Nov 7, 2019
  19. Gromit

Romulus

About 25 to 35 years ago I went with my wife to HiFi Dealers on Tottenham Court Rd (London) where we booked an audition to hear a top flight Naim system played via SBL speakers. I don't remember the actual models but they were at least NAC252 & NAP250 level. I heard so much about this system, and so many users on Naim forums have spilled out their absolute love and admiration for Naim boxes of this level played through the one and only SBL speakers. So when we actually got to hear the system, I was so underwhelmed , there was nothing special, I was ready to be carried away by the gusto of the music, but instead it all sounded a bit polite, I remember asking the dealer how much roughly did the whole system cost he said a figure which was well over £10,000.00; I thought that for that amount for me would be an utter waste of money.... Maybe it was the room acoustics or maybe I was not ready for the laid back sound of perhaps the NAC252? I think my mistake was reading too much about Naim systems and therefore I was expecting too much?

Romulus, Nov 2, 2020
Ask a Question