The most overrated kit?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Gromit, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Gromit

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

A few ideas.

Walrus have an ISO with HERA power supply for 249.
    [​IMG]

or an 834P in the classifieds..

mint, £350. Sony 3000ES system, CDP3000ES, ST-S300ES, MDSJ3000ES, TAF3000ES, cherry Kef Cresta2 stands, £895. Tel: 0114 286 0635 (Jun(I) EAR-YOSHINO 834P phonostage, MC/MM, two years old, fitted genuine NOS Mullards, lightly used, £295. Professionally built passive preamp, three inputs, rare Panasonic ...
    http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/hfw/classads.html Last updated 07-06-2004, 25708 bytes

A Dino and a good valve phono stage at the emporium..

TRICHORD DINO mm/mc phono stage ex dem 250
    AUDION STIRLING phono stage 700 350
    (you might get 30-40 trade-in)

Whats the budget?

The ISO and HERA look good value to me by the way.

Chris

bottleneck, Jun 11, 2004
  2. Gromit

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Hmm. Well mebbe, mebbe not. Its all of forty quid. For forty quid its not that bad. If you had paid £200 for it then yeah it would be an over rated piece of poo.

Uncle Ants, Jun 11, 2004
  3. Gromit

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

Uncleants, I'd agree - the Phono Box offers decent value for money, considering the price. I would imagine that it's aim is for to complement budget kit at any rate. I'd definately use something that is more 'high-end' with a Sudgen.

nsherin, Jun 11, 2004
  4. Gromit

The Devil IHTFP

Just spotted this one. No, I am not a salesman for anything.

I make an honest recommendation of something that works for me.... I DO NOT drive the length and breadth of the country with a load of it in my car's boot for sale.

The Devil, Jun 11, 2004
  5. Gromit

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

But Bub, haven't you been chucked out the club for being a disruptive influence?. Hasn't even the great god of ferrious spanked your botty once or twice for being a naughty non weenie in front of the Great council of Ironities?
    Isn't there a medical condition to over exposure to ferrite? Angle Ironities or Must'ave (more levels) diesease.
    So I spose being a travelling manerite (is there such a word as that? F*CK we'll use it anyway :D ) is not on the cards anymore?
    Shame, you were so good at it too. I'm sure JW was ready to promote you to exhaulted High priest and iniciate of the Dumbfries & Galloway (advanced) house of ferrious worship
    Elevated to chief pointy head status.
    However at this present juncture, I feel you have missed that particular oppotunity :(
    Still chin up, apply next time there's a vacancy :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2004
    wadia-miester, Jun 11, 2004
  6. Gromit

Saab

possibly,if its the Sudgen to blame i will try the SE version,but even at £40 its just sounds thin and and nasty compared to the phono stage the Puccini had.I dont expect much,i listen to Lps a couple of times a week,and the Puccini was good enough to ignore and just ignore my scratchy old Zep,but not with the new Phono Box,i just sit and shout at the cat.

Saab, Jun 11, 2004
  7. Gromit

analoguekid Planet Rush

Maybe you should, Bub, then each time you receive commision in more mana man, dumfries to cumbria, glass shelf go all way to London and make enough for a soundstage do extra 20,000 miles and you can get your speakers to phase 20 (you would prolly need to elevate your couch by this time, oh and your telly, and of course3 your coffee table, your living room could end up on mana like stilts man, keep it up for a few years and you may even get your whole house up to like phase 14 or something.

But then maybe you don't like driving that much. prolly got a Volvo.

:D

Bub don't take offense man just trying to make light of this before penance starts selling tickets.

Paul:D

analoguekid, Jun 11, 2004
  8. Gromit

The Devil IHTFP

Hi WM,

I think I was chucked out for saying what I think about Isobariks (not too pretty), then taking the (fairly mild-ish) pee out of "Stealth Potty Training Members", who clearly take their status rather seriously. Never mind, eh?

Hi analoguekid. Are you local? You could pop over if you like, but not for a while (room a mess and hi-fi not set up proper).

No offence taken, btw.

The Devil, Jun 11, 2004
  9. Gromit

Robbo

Well its all a bit of fun in the end really, no need to take it all seriously.

btw, agree with you about the briks, they should be sent back to the 1970s.

Robbo, Jun 11, 2004
  10. Gromit

analoguekid Planet Rush

Hi Bub.

More local than most Paisley (although am not a "buddie" not originally from here) what about you.? If it's Dumfrieshire, work is due to take me down there over the next coupla months, reading WM's posts are you in fact a clinician? or have I missed something, only asking as I work for a Pharma co, kis that your house that was recently done with slate floor etc if so very nice, still no mana for us even if i could be swayed sonically the missu would never allow it just about got away with these speakers...

.... the question is are you and tony gonna kiss and make up or what?:D

analoguekid, Jun 11, 2004
  11. Gromit

James & moi ? group hugs, its never been anything other than that, I can confirm he is an excellent host.
    Briks humm, their in the right thread, so in essence,what there saying is take an inheintly flawed 70's design loudspeakers, stick em 5 foot in the air on angle iron and glass, give it active status (usually with dry and veiled amps) and hey presto you instant silky juicing on demend :D if there was ever a cause to use the phrase "polishing a turd," a more apt comparsion would be tricky to find :)

wadia-miester, Jun 11, 2004
  12. Gromit

julian2002 Muper Soderator

tony,
    you need to put water and sugar along with those lemons you've been sucking..... :D
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jun 11, 2004
  13. Gromit

Alex S User

<< if there was ever a cause to use the phrase "polishing a turd," a more apt comparsion would be tricky to find >> True. But you can always over-gild two turds by puting an LP12 at the front end.

Alex S, Jun 12, 2004
  14. Gromit

So Alex, by this statement what you concluding is that at least 1/3 of our earthy brothers have seriously gleeming "stools" attempting to play music in thier abodes then?
    A double blow for the hook norton & fishermans sweater squad I feel :eek:

wadia-miester, Jun 12, 2004
  15. Gromit

The Devil IHTFP

I live in the currently festival-infested West End of Glasgow, yes a clinician, no poncey slate floors for me, though. Proper wood.

Tony's a nice guy, no hard feelings this end. I enjoyed his company if not his thingies.

Alex, the LP12 is indeed rubbish. ;-)

The Devil, Jun 12, 2004
  16. Gromit

analoguekid Planet Rush

Nice a nearby then Bub we should meet up some time as we obviusly have some things in common, and let me extend my hospitality to you as well, although my approach to hifi is prolly abit different to you we prolly have a similar goal. You might want to come over for a swatch at my kit although like you in the middle of sorting out decorating, so would need a few weeks also.

Nice to meet you and good to find some more kindrid spirits living nearby. Always liked the west endd as I grew up in Bishopbriggs, although I knew him when he was still a parish priest;) Missus is from Paisley and the houses are a lot less expensive than where you are. What kind of Clinician are you (PM if not wanting to broadcast) We should maybe go for a pint somtime, and you can dish the dirt on these english bampots:cool:

Paul;)

analoguekid, Jun 12, 2004
  17. Gromit

penance Arrogant Cock

Tickets for sale
    Tickets for sale

Come an get 'em

Tour shirts, genuine tour shirts for sale, one free with front row tickets!

:D

penance, Jun 12, 2004
  18. Gromit

Paul,

I hope you realise James is a sassanak :D

19. Gromit

analoguekid Planet Rush

Yeah but live up hear long enough and spout enough bullshit and we will accept you for what you are, the rest of ye are still english bampots:D

analoguekid, Jun 12, 2004
  20. Gromit

And there was me thinking he moved cuz it was cheap :rolleyes: :D
    Mind you Paul, your not like most of our north of boarder memebers who cringe at spending any than 50p on an amp, and usually aim serious broadsides at every ones fave target R/A :cool:
    Although I think James has been there long enough to have ginger blood running through his viens and his appitite for a drop of the right stuff is about right too :)
    It would be nice for James to get a feel for a less single minded system too. T

Ask a Question