The unknown Beethoven?

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by titian, Jul 27, 2003.

1. titian

titian

I suppose if you ask somebody what did Beethoven write for piano solo they will answer:
    - 32 sonatas
    - Diabelli variations
    - 'Füe Elise'
    and maybe something else..

Well, one of my purchase in the E-bay was: Variations for piano, complete works
    Nice I thought, but when I saw how many LPs there were in that box I got a shock: 6 full LPs :eek: :confused:

This weekend it was time to listen to the LP-box (Telefunken 6.35289, 1979). I must admit that variations on a theme is something I love to hear. It is probably my most favourite form of music I hear.

IMO these variations in the box are just great. Each of them are particular and I never got enough (boared) even after several LPs. Maybe it also the merit of Rudolf Buchbinder who plays them. He is IMO one of the pianist to put on the top of the list for german classical to romantic music. Of course you will always find somebody else who you feel does better this or that other piece. But for a 'complete works' (32 sonatas, this one, Haydn piano works,..) he is certainly somebody to keep in consideration.

The recordings are very well done.

To conclude I will list some of the works in the box:

- 9 variations on a march of Dressler (WoO 63)
    - 24 variations on the arietta "Venni amore" from Righini (65)
    - 13 variations on the arietta "Das rote Käppchen" from von Dittersdorf (66)
    - 12 variations on "Menuette ä la Viganò" from Haibel (68)
    - 9 variations on the theme "Quant'è più bello" from Pasiello (69)
    - 6 variations on the duett "Nel cor più non mi sento" from Pasiello (69)
    - 12 variations on the russian dance from the ballett from Wranitzky (71)
    - 6 variations on a own theme (77)
    - 7 variations on "God save the King" (78)
    - 5 variations on "Rule Britannia" (79)
    - 32 variations on a own theme (80)
    - 6 variations op 34
    - 15 variations on a fugue op 35
    - 6 variations op76
    - Diabelli variations

titian, Jul 27, 2003
  2. titian

tones compulsive cantater

I've heard of (and heard) some of these, Titian, but not all. Beethoven was rather partial to "God save the King". "How can you call the English unmusical when they have 'God save the King'?" he asked. (Oddly enough, so did Haydn - in fact, he was so impressed that he went off and wrote what is now the German national anthem). I know "Rule, Britannia" tends to be seen as a bit of bloated imperial pomp, but it remains a great tune (written in the 18th century by Thomas Arne for a masque called "Alfred"). Beethoven knew a good tune when he heard one.

tones, Jul 28, 2003
  3. titian

GrahamN

Not forgetting of course the Op 33 Op119 and Op 126 Bagatelles (and the two single ones - particularly WoO 59 "Fur Elise").

Not sure I've heard any of the miscellaneous variations - other than possibly the "God Save the King" vars.. Unlike Beethoven, I think our National Anthem one of the most tedious dirges ever written and am immensely envious of the inhabitants of almost every other country for not having to listen to this dreadful tedium. (At least the Tsar's Hymn has nobility rather than lead in it's rather foursquare stance)

:mad:

GrahamN, Jul 28, 2003
  4. titian

tones compulsive cantater

Would you rather have "The Star-Spangled Banner", Graham, with it's "land of the free, home of the brave" words, AND its two-and-a-half octave range? Even worse is "Advance, Australia fair" (sometimes sung, "Advance, Australia, where?"), which also has a throat-boggling span. And "La Marseillaise" is somewhat let down by those gory last lines. At least GSTQ is relatively innocuous - and of course in football matches, one can ask for the Almighty's blessing on your team rather than Betts.

tones, Jul 28, 2003
  5. titian

GrahamN

Since I always find music far more motivational than words, I have to answer "yes, yes and yes!" (although "The Star Spangled Banner" is about the only thing I do envy the Yanks - ah, they've got lovely desert scenery too), and I'd also take "Das Deutschlandlied", "Land of Hope and Glory", "Jerusalem", "Flower of Scotland", "Land of our Fathers" and at a pinch "Rule Britannia!" too. Although I'm so singer at all, I have managed to sing just about all of them (although it's quite amusing watching people trying to get out of starting LoHaG and Jersulam at too low a pitch). I'd probably leave "Danny Boy" though to those of your countrymen who wish it! (I just find the tune incredibly bitty). Since most national anthems were composed in less PC days, the words (and being "top dog" for so long, British patriotic songs have particular problems) do seem to be a problem quite often. If I'm being pedantic, I could say that at least in Rule Britannia we're only claiming dominion over the waves rather than anyone else's land - ah selective amnesia required on "and every shore it circles thine".

(No comments required that now our days of territorial rapacity are over, I appear to be advocating further musical pillage! As far as this thread is concerned, LvB started it your honour!)

GrahamN, Jul 28, 2003
  6. titian

lordsummit moderate mod

My choice would be Jerusalem. You'd have to change the name though:)

lordsummit, Aug 1, 2003
Ask a Question