The Wailers - Catch A Fire

Discussion in 'General Music' started by Uncle Ants, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Uncle Ants

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Flicking around on cable the other night I bumped into the start of a Classic Albums programme about Catch A Fire on VH1 Classic- the first album the Walers did for Island - it was absolutely fascinating.

Thing is I knew it wasn't exactly a purist album, but what I didn't realise was that they did the album on 8 track in Jamaica and then brought the tapes over to the UK where Blackwell and Marley transferred it to 16 track and dubbed on a load of extra tracks to make it more acceptable the western ear - rock guitar, organ, extra backing vocals, that kind of thing.

Thing is they had Chris Blackwell at the mixing desk playing the original, non messed with version and then gradually bringing in all the extra tracks they added. The originals without the overdubs did sound far better I thought and I think Blackwell thought so too, he basically said they couldn't have sold it to Western ears like that back then and thats why they did it. I understand there is a version of this original "Jamaican" version available - anyone heard it? Worth getting?

I always loved this album, but unfortunately when I put it on after watching the show I couldn't help but sit there thinking - "Was that bit added? Or that bit?" :rolleyes:

Uncle Ants, Feb 2, 2005
  2. Uncle Ants

ErikfH

I heard it in a record shop just after the re-release of the Deluxe edition, but can't recall what it sounded like compared to the original. Also read an extensive review at that time (in a Dutch magazine) telling that the writer was impressed with the original recordings.

This Deluxe edition seems still available:
    http://www.cdconnection.com/bin/nph-main/DFvPIeRTDn65.b

I will order one myself actually. Thanks for the hint.

ErikfH, Feb 2, 2005
  3. Uncle Ants

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Excellent. I will have to track it down. Thanks

Uncle Ants, Feb 3, 2005
  4. Uncle Ants

badchamp Thermionic Member

The Classic Albums progs really are generally quite fascinating. The one on Rumours by Fleetwood Mac several years ago was excellent. I've certainly listened to the album in a new light ever since.

badchamp, Feb 3, 2005
Ask a Question