There goes the neigbourhood

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by johnhunt, Aug 31, 2003.

1. johnhunt

johnhunt recidivist

I was in South London boozer this afternoon. There was six or seven of us. We were drinking beer and bemoaning the amount of house breaking that is going on in the locality, and the inability of Lewisham police to do anything about it. A young guy sidled up to us and asked discreetly whether we wanted to buy any cheap Chubb locks.

johnhunt, Aug 31, 2003
  2. johnhunt

MO! MOnkey`ead!

wait for dom to get hold of this thread. Let me guess? Young, single parent imigrant?

MO!, Sep 1, 2003
  3. johnhunt

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Nah... Too old for that sh-- and got more important things on my mind than something totally out of my control now - life's too short.

domfjbrown, Sep 1, 2003
  4. johnhunt

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

We had problems with mindless vandels getting the night bus into our village going back from clubs then going down our road to cut through to the local council estate. Every week peoples cars were being smahed in, in the end I went down to the police they said I confirmed everything they already thought they knew, and that the officer was going to speak to the people concerned after speaking to me.

This was in December, not a single thing has been vandelised since (touch wood).

There are some harmless scallies that live near me and they really have no life, all they do everyday is sit outside their parents houses staring at everybody, they have no education, no job, no prospects.

These are sort of people that can't even get basic jobs such as labourers or cleaner (no offence to anybody with these jobs) because they do not have the attitude for work. All they do is come out with crap such as "stu-dents are tax dodging f**cking scum" but yet they are on the dole, and what to do they think we do when we get a job?

So a lot of it is down to education, I am don't mean A levels or Degrees, I am talking about very basic education such as the rights and wrongs and the responsability these people have if they wish to live in a society. I know these kids (they are about 15-19) will are on soft drugs to the point were they are often stoned. They do turn to light crime such as roy riding and selling soft stuff, but minor crime ends up turning into bigger crime. One of the people in my class at school thought he was the big man on the Moss Side gang land scene, he was shot dead earlier this year outside his house.

I would like to think there is hope but I honestly don't know what the answer is.

amazingtrade, Sep 1, 2003
  5. johnhunt

osama Perenially Bored

Sorry to hear you guys share almost the same fate as anybody else anywhere in this world. But tell me, in your experience(s), who gets involved most often in crimes or deviant activities in your place(s)? The immigrants or the original locals? Just curious really, nothing discriminatory about this query.

regards

osama, Sep 1, 2003
  6. johnhunt

Thats a hard question, especialy were I live its very mixed. But thats a good thing as everybody mixes regardless of race, however you do get the white, black and assian gangs and they all cause as much trouble in their own way. I would say that original scally is white though. It also depends what you mean by immigrants, because they are quite rare these days, most people in this country (UK) were born here so are not immigrants.

The mindless vandelism is usualy caused by the local white yobs but its not as simple as that.

But at the end of the day all races all have anti social problems, if you go to Paris or Lille you realise that France has the same problems that the UK does.

As for the holiday destinations such as Rhodes there is no excuse whats so ever for some of them British tourist to behave in such way. When I was in Amsterdam I got very drunk, I was singing and dancing in the main square, when we left to go our hotel I was quite and respectful despite having 7 or 8 pints I still had the sence to realise that people lived there and deserved respect.

Thats basicaly the problem a lot of young people lack respect, I would say most young (being slightly biased) do have respect, but if even 10% don't it caused problems. I think as these people get older most of them ever end up in jail for life, die or change.

I think this entire subject is very hard, but it is somthing I have interested in. It is also interesting that most of these jobs do come of single parent families. Having said that I know of a lot of very good single mothers out there and their children have turned out first class people. I saw a girl the other day from school and her she came from a single parent family, her mother died a few years ago of cancer leaving her to look after her younger brother alone, she is now at uni and her brother has just got A*s in his GCSEs. So despite all these woffle you can't generalise (sp) about these things at all. Its what causes racism, sexism, and generaly snobbery.

I will stop now as I could end up writing 2000 badly spelt words here
    :D

7. johnhunt

johnhunt recidivist

I wasn't intending to start a debate on the rights and wrongs of GB today. I was just relaying something that tickled us. As the race of the vendor I don't really see that it's relavant.

john

johnhunt, Sep 1, 2003
  8. johnhunt

osama Perenially Bored

:D ;)

osama, Sep 1, 2003
  9. johnhunt

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I wonder how Roy feels about this illegal riding! ;)

MO!, Sep 1, 2003
  10. johnhunt

Roy riding is a highly illegal sport in which people have many aurel pleasures while listening to Joy Division speeding along the road with a guy called Roy.

11. johnhunt

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I always suspected Manchester was full of batty boys :lol:

PBirkett, Sep 1, 2003
  12. johnhunt

johnhunt recidivist

good grief

johnhunt, Sep 2, 2003
  13. johnhunt

Graham C

likely lads

I think the basic problem with society is that we don't
    provide a safe decent environment for people who hardly want
    to work. It's not logical to want to bust your ass all day
    until you are old..We should have plenty of opportunities to
    work a small amount and still have fun with a low wage.

My guess is that 60% of people don't want to work hard - and why should they?? Another 30% [perhaps] work hard, NOT because they are driven, but because opportunity lands them a decent rate of pay so they say: "what the hell, I'll rake it in while I can". This is "early retirement syndrome".

This leaves 10% of sicko's who want to work like a slave, and
    guess what?? They become the career brown nosers who run the country legally, financially, morally, academically etc.

No wonder the normal people just end up in shit creek.

Since Paul B has avoided mentioning Newcastle/Benwell/N. Shields in this thread, I will reward you all with my favourite N. Shields story from when I escaped from Tyneside..

My favourite Meadow hell story was about the
    Jag that the N. Shields plod had "on evaluation".

It was only to be used for driving big cheese around
    [Masonic meetings etc].
    Anyway, it was a busy [Friday?] night and all the on-duty
    were stretched with work..The last car left in the station was
    the Jag. So 2 plod were reluctantly forced to use it to
    respond to a call from Meadow hell, North Shields.

They arrived in the warren of cul-de-sacs and
    pedestrian zones [like dodgy neighbourhoods worldwide].

Plod 1 goes to answer distress call at house/shop/whatever,
    while plod 2 waits anxiously in the Jag. The locals soon
    begin behaving in their Morlock patterns as HG Wells
    predicted - rocks begin raining down on the Jag.
    Plod 2 is forced to leave the car to explain the error
    of their ways to the local urchins. After giving chase, he
    makes the mistake of leaving sight of the car.
    Of course, when he returns, car has mysteriously vanished.

I heard that the Jag was never recovered, but the locals
    taunted the bizzies with sitings of a van driving around
    Whitley Bay with a blue flashing light..

Graham C, Sep 2, 2003
  14. johnhunt

mick parry stroppy old git

Severe punishment

Chaps

The answer to this sort of problem is stiffer and I mean much stiffer punishment.

Corporal punishment is much more effective than probabtion. No one is going to get drunk in the street if the punishment is say six strokes which will make you scream and faint because of the pain.

Also prison should be a hell on earth. It is very rare for an offender in the military to spend a second term in the glasshouse because the conditions are hard.

Our civillian prisons are soft and reoffenders return time and again because the treatment is soft.

The question is simple.......do you allow criminals human rights and I say the answer is no. If a burgular breaks into your house, he forfiets the rights that we enjoy. Therefore if he gets shot..then tough.

I shall stop or I could go on all night.

Regards

Mick

mick parry, Sep 2, 2003
  15. johnhunt

Graham C

Mick, people join the forces to leave no-hope places like Benwell because they aren't criminals.

Where are you planning to retire to - Saudi perhaps?

Graham C, Sep 2, 2003
  16. johnhunt

osama Perenially Bored

Tough suggestion there Graham ;) But you know what, a lot of people enjoy the more peaceful and much quieter way of life here(though no booze in the open market). But mick's expectations can be satisfied here, the way the authorities deal with offenders. IMHO, they have a rather strict adherence to the basic rule of law' "an eye for an eye".

regards

osama, Sep 3, 2003
  17. johnhunt

cookiemonster

An education, job or 'prospects' no more constitutes a 'life' than a Versace T-shirt. But all keep the vanguard of judgement further at bay than the vocation of a 'scally' - who looks through the same window from his seat outside his parents' house as the white collar worker with his prospects. The scally is just less distracted, and unfortunately reliant for his sustenence upon the labor of his brothers. It is therefore necessary to undertake a 'basic' form of 'employment' to provide for both necessity and the tax man. This promotes one from the rung of a scally to the impoverished state of a stupid waster. Both are contemptible, but the later is less susceptible to vehement resentment, just ridicule and confusion.

Of course a 'life' is now defined for us.Within the matrix, one flourishes or withers in the least disagreeable fashion in compliance with ones constitution.

cookiemonster, Sep 18, 2003
  18. johnhunt

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Hi Cookie. Interesting perspective you have there. You make some good points but I would disagree that a life is defined for us. Where is this tablet of stone on which holy lightning has carved that thou shalt get a job or indeed that thou shalt earn lots of money? There are many ways to make a living, including many which are considered quite respectable and yet which involve no 'work' or even 'employment' whatsoever. We are all far too quick to judge others against our own prejudices and misconceptions. Who's to say that the scallies don't have the right idea and that it's the rest of us who are the fools.

Chris

technobear, Sep 18, 2003
  19. johnhunt

cookiemonster

A'Trade defined it for me, or more correctly, the absence of a life. It is a rife psychological imprint. I was merely challenging the presupposed notion, as you are yourself.

And i was writing from the perspective of a proven 'waster'. So i am well qualified. Or more aptly, 'unqualified'.

cookiemonster, Sep 18, 2003
  20. johnhunt

technobear Ursine Audiophile

I am rapidly coming round to the opinion that anyone in 'employment' is a waster with no life, albeit in my case quite a successful waster with no life. I am beginning to wish that I had become self-employed at an earlier age. I am certainly strongly considering it now. Working set hours for a company with limited flexibility, expected unpaid overtime and only 5 weeks leave really is a straitjacket.

Chris

technobear, Sep 19, 2003
Ask a Question