Thinking of building some fullrange horns...any pointers?

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by owl37400, Feb 16, 2011.

1. owl37400

owl37400

So, I've always had a bit of a fascination with horn speakers (and have been impressed with the few that I've actually heard) and also with the concept of the fullrange driver.

A few years ago I found some trashed Lowther PM6C drivers at a car boot sale, and exchanged these for some new ones - which have been sitting in a cupboard for a while because I haven't really had the time or space to find/build an enclosure for them (I had a look at some "Acousta" cabinets at one point).

I now have the opportunity to do something though, because I'm in the process of renovating a flat I'm going to move into, and I'm thinking it would be fun to build some big(ish) horns - probably built into a wall of storage etc.

Potentially each speaker could occupy a space of approx. 600mm wide by 2000mm high by 700mm deep.

I'm just starting out on this process... can anyone suggest any reading to start with, or is what I'm thinking of doing ridiculous, or any other comments?

For example, are the Lowthers I've got appropriate for this kind of thing anyway?

Should I stick to tried and tested horn designs or should I try and design something that's suited to the space I've got and so forth?

Any comments/input welcome!

I will post photos if and when I start the project.

I've attached a diagram showing the basic dimensions of the room I want to put them into.

[​IMG]

owl37400, Feb 16, 2011
Ask a Question