Thorens Upgrade Kit

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ListeningEar, Apr 15, 2005.

1. ListeningEar

ListeningEar

ListeningEar, Apr 15, 2005
  2. ListeningEar

Anex Thermionic

I don't know if you've seen it or not but like the ad says, there was a review of the rega stuff in Hifi World, the issue with the Spacedeck Vs 401 etc. in and the new Morduant Shorts. I seem to remember they liked it but I didn't read the mag (only bought it for the classifieds). I could send you the issue if you wanted a look though?

Anex, Apr 15, 2005
  3. ListeningEar

ListeningEar

Great, thanks Anex. Can you scan it to a pdf doc and email me?

4. ListeningEar

Anex Thermionic

I sent it to your msn address

Anex, Apr 15, 2005
  5. ListeningEar

ListeningEar

Thanks.

6. ListeningEar

Lord Nitrogen

I bought the Rega Planar full upgrade kit a couple of months ago.

At the same time I had my RB250 upgraded and paired with a new cartridge, thus losing any objectivity over the sound difference the upgrade makes. What I can say is that the system (RP2/MF A300/W-B Orators) sounds like a dream. The replacement platter, platter damper and mat FEEL like they are better. I had problems with the kit's bearing assembly that you glue on to the motor and decided to go for a Rega motor upgrade as well (it's only 'hifi' money. . . ) so I can't comment on that. That magazine review claimed that the PTFE disc that sits on the spindle bearing wore out quickly, but I don't think he had it installed properly.

The full kit contains lots of bits a tweaker may already have (stylus brush, cartridge nuts and bolts, cartidge alignment tool, contact cleaner) but I'd strongly recommend any turntable user to check this stuff out. The guy himself quickly answered numerous emails from me and that always makes a difference. His final advice in the instruction leaflet is to pour yourself a whisky and just listen to some music - excellent and often omitted advice for all of us.

Lord Nitrogen, Apr 16, 2005
Ask a Question